ADVERTISEMENT

Union County position is open...

UKJAK2

KP Pro
Oct 13, 2002
This sort of surprised me. I thought they had a good thing going with Coach Carter. I do know that some people were grumbling about him, but I thought he would withstand it. They've had some successful seasons recently and thought they were building on that success. Anyone know what happened? WhiteEagle??

From The Gleaner

MORGANFIELD, Ky. - After six years of juggling his jobs as assistant superintendent and head football coach at Union County, Steve Carter is giving up his coaching position.

Carter, whose 42 wins over the past six seasons is the second-most in school history, resigned as the Braves football coach Monday morning.

"The responsibilities of my full-time job (as assistant superintendent) didn't allow me to do the job (as football coach) that the players deserve. I didn't feel like it was fair to the kids," Carter said.

Carter, whose duties in the central office include supervision of buildings and grounds, truancy, transportation and gifted and talented programs, said that too often he had schedule conflicts between the jobs. "I was late for practice or had to miss practices. I ask the kids to commit 100 percent. I have never asked them to do anything I wasn't willing to do; so if I can't give 100 percent, the program and the players deserve someone who can."

Carter said he occasionally had to miss meetings and training sessions for his administrative job because of football responsibilities.

Carter had already been in Union County's central office for four years when he applied for the head coaching job in 2009. He said he was appreciative to his superiors, including current superintendent Patricia Sheffer, for allowing him to hold both jobs. "She was always supportive of me," he said.

Following a string of five head coaches over the previous 14 seasons, Carter brought stability to the program. His six-year tenure is the second longest in school history behind Charlie Bob Paris, who coached the Braves for 14 seasons.

Carter's career record of 42-27 included a pair of nine-win seasons in 2010 and 2013. His teams won three playoff games in six seasons but never made it past the second round. His first team in 2009 lost to eventual state champion Paducah Tilghman in the second round of the 3-A playoffs. The Braves lost to Russellville in the second round the next season. Moving to 2-A in 2011, Union County lost to Murray in the first round three of the next four years including this season 71-37. The Braves lost to Caldwell County in the second round of the 2013 playoffs.

"I think we've solidified the program. I think we've played a good brand of football," said Carter, who informed the players of his decision Monday morning. "That was definitely a lot tougher than I anticipated."

The next head coach will take over a program that will return to 3-A next season and will compete in the First District along with Caldwell County, Fort Campbell, Tilghman and Trigg County.

The school has begun accepting applications for the position, according to athletic director Jeremy Tackett. Applicants can send resumes to jeremy.tackett@union.kyschools.us..

-----There is always some grumbling with any coach or any program and there might be some other factors involved but I think the Gleaner article is accurate as to why he is leaving-----

-----Will be a tough district for a new coach to be successful in. Union this year would have gone 1-3 or maybe 0-4 against those teams with the lone win maybe coming against Fort Campbell which has been down the past couple years since Shawn Berner left. In all honesty Union does not have the athletes, both in numbers and ability, to succeed at a high level in football. The next few years could be a long dry spell for UC football-----

ADVERTISEMENT