ADVERTISEMENT

Owensboro/Daviess Country Area Football 2014

thelizardking1

KP All-Pro
Dec 5, 2012
Well look who crawled out from under a rock just in time for football season yes it's the often imitated never duplicated, always love and yes I mean always - Lizard! I finally got my 1997 Gateway computer back from the tech guy down the road, he's got her running like a new one - I am still making payments on the damn thing. Here we are the middle of August and less than a week before the start of high school football season - I am sure anticipation is running high for all for city teams. Seems like the last time I was talking about football on kypreps.com I was saying OHS would kick some old ladies ass named Martha Layne Collins - that didn't work out too well for them as it was unbeknownst to me at the time sweet old Martha was a well oiled fighting machine! I am looking forward to another exciting season and all the talks about Monster trucks, decades old wrestling icons and all you can eat BBQ contests and maybe this year we can all finally get along - but I doubt it. With that said lets break this down from a analytical stand point!

2014 PROGNOSTICATION

DC - It is no secret my love for all things that is DC athletics, although I I will be honest with you I have not followed this years football team as closely as I have in years past. I will still make it to most home games and a road game here or there but I kind of feel like I am coming into this season in the dark. Coming off a winning season and what I would call one of the best seasons in recent memory for DC - the panthers have a lot to build on. I could easily see DC being 2-3 in the city/county this year but lets be honest it's probably going to be more like 1-3. I am pretty confident DC will beat Apollo and I feel like they got a good chance to get Owensboro Catholic this year and yes Catholic fans I heard about the Hendo scrimmage score! I don't think anyone is going to touch OHS this season but that is for the next capsule. DC returns several contributing players and I've heard from a few people they got a transfer or two that should be able to help. Phelps, Lecroy and Simpson should be this teams leaders and best players - I look for big things from them this year. This year could be the year DC really turns the corner and becomes a team people somewhat fear to play - instead of being just a bunch of "rich kids". I feel like Coach Kimbrell will have this group ready to play just as he has in years past - It will be interesting to see how they can build from recent success. 2014 regular season prediction - 5-5 with wins over Apollo, Grayson, Muhlenberg, Marshall and Ohio Co. - there is a couple games on this schedule that I could feel could go either way that being the Owensboro Catholic game and the McCracken Co. game. South Warren will be out for revenge and I don't see DC winning that game on the road. I hope I am wrong about the 5-5 record but although I could easily see them going 6-4 again. Which is a really good year for DC in my opinion.

OHS - Expectations are as high as they have ever been in the Joe Prince era for the red devils. Seems like we all say that about every year but I would say it's BG or bust for OHS this year. I realize that is setting the bar really high for this group and time will tell if they can live up to all the hype. Last years trip to semi state I am sure really left a bitter taste and only left them hungry for more this season. I think OHS easily wins the city/county again this year for the 465th time in program history - with no city team getting within 3 touchdowns of them. After that it gets a little bit tougher for OHS as Bowling Green comes to town for one of the states oldest rivalries. You can bet the "Prince-a-manics" have had this purples game circled on their calendar since they got beat by sweet old Martha Layne Collins. OHS doesn't get within 17 of this Bowling Green bunch - this game will be OHS's "super bowl" - but again they won't win this game. At that point I am not sure they lose another game in the regular season other than maybe Warren Central or Henderson Co. - I think OHS is very capable of beating both of those teams but you can always count on at least one hiccup in a high school football season. I don't know a whole lot about this OHS bunch but I do know you can take it to the bank that OHS will have weapons on offense and be fast as hell and they will pursue the football really well - You know this team will have a gob of athletes and a few nasty boys to get it done up front, they always seem to. I know they have several key holes to fill this year and the lose of the Blue kid will be a big void to fill. The Locher kid at QB should be a big asset for them. Other than that there is several questions that remain to answered and as cliche as it sounds only time will tell. 2014 regular season prediction - 9-1 with their only loss being Bowling Green high. This bunch should have everything it takes to have a really good year - although it is very possible to have a few bumps in the road and go 8-2 or 7-3. I think they will struggle with WC and Henderson and could very well lose to those teams - but I don't see anyone else giving them trouble in the regular season. I still look for OHS to make a deep playoff run and quite possibly playing for the state title come December with the real threat of Franklin-Simpson standing in their way.

Apollo - Coming into the third season for Dan Crume and 3 consecutive two win seasons for this Apollo squad. It seems like wins are hard to come by in recent years for Apollo but Crume and company will be looking to get this program back to were it was in the late 90's. This Apollo group has already been through a lot this year - more than any team should ever have to deal with. With the sudden loss of one of their players and from what I understand was going to be one of their better players - maybe this team can rally behind the loss of a teammate and string together some wins this year. I would sure like to see that happen to honor the life of this young man! In the 3rd year of a head coach he should pretty much have a tight hold on the program and I think you should really be able to tell were a program is going in that 3rd year - for the better or the worse. We should see that this year from Apollo. I am not sure what all Apollo returns but from the looks at their online roster they will be pretty young - but that doesn't always mean the worst I know from watching them play DC the last couple years it seemed like they had a lot of young players on the field. 2014 regular season prediction - 4-6 with wins coming from one of the city/county games - and maybe that win would be against Owensboro Catholic being the first game of the year. You know this Apollo bunch will be fired up to play their first game and will have a lot to play for - and I mean a lot. It will be a very emotional game and I think they could very well beat OC that first game. Its at home for Apollo and I can bet you it will be a big deal! After that I think they beat Hopkins Central, Greenwood, Ohio Co. and I think they sneak in there and upset either Graves, Christian or Hoptown giving them 4 wins for the season. Although I could easily seem them really coming together and going 5-5 or maybe even 6-4 which would really be something to build on. As I said before I would really like to see them have a good year for all they have been through thus far.

Owensboro Catholic - What can you say about his bunch - they are always sneaky good. John Edge is one of the best coaches in this area and he always has his teams overachieving. I think he is one of the best at getting the most out of his players and really getting them to buy into what he is trying to do. With 3 maybe 4 state title appearances in recent years - I am not sure how many now but he is one of the most proven coaches throughout the state and which I have said for a long time OC is very lucky to still have him. With that said I do think they play a somewhat watered down scheduled in 2A. There are a lot of teams around the state that could beat Todd County Central, Mclean Co and Curdsville school for the astigmatism or who ever else they play throughout the year. They should beat those teams year in and year out and they way the KHSAA playoffs is set up now they are most always going to make a deep in come November - b/c of the weak teams they play the first couple rounds. Although Murray has been their kryptonite the last few years. I do think Zuberer will be great at QB this year - he is a helluva athlete. I am sure it will be the usual cast of character for Owensboro Catholic again this year - you can bet there will always be a Ebelhar or two on the team along with maybe a few Kamuf's, O'Bryan's, or a Thompson here or there. All kidding aside this team should be as steady as they are every year. 2014 regular season prediction - 7-3 with losses coming from OHS, Apollo and I think they will have a off night and get beat either by South Spencer or Butler Co. This team could easily go 8-2 maybe even 9-1 it wouldn't surprise me one bit. They will be good and don't think for one minute that can't won't make a run in the playoffs.

*Disclaimer*

With all four area teams "prognosticated" please realize that this is just my opinion which I have said on here many times don't amount to squat. Take it for what it's worth - which ain't much what so ever! As I have made it aware before on here I like to see all area teams compete and do well - just some more than others!
3dgrin.r191677.gif
Good luck to all area teams this year and look forward to bickering back and forth between some of you "3rd region junkies"!

This post was edited on 8/17 9:08 AM by thelizardking1

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!

In the spirit of friendly competition and not to be out done by our friends "the homers" over on 102.7 there will be a new local sports talk radio show debuting this Fall on WQXQ 101.9 called "Lizard's Lounge" featuring the Lizette's. Including GreenNation2 as the resident Owensboro Catholic guru/update desk guy, devilschild as the resident OHS guru/voice over guy and WallyChamers as the sound effects/music guy. The details and specifics are still being worked out at this time. But what I can tell you is expect a "Jay Mohr Sports" with local flavor. Hop on over to 101.9 for future updates!

If any other "3rd region junkie" feels that they can bring something to the table please let us know! Still looking for a resident Apollo guru and a talking bird or at least a bird that can play the piano or water ski - either one will suffice. Also still working on the logo - this is what we have for now!

ht_lizards_2_jef_ss_120223_ssh.jpg

I think Owensboro actually upsets Bowling Green this year but takes L's @ Henderson Co.,@ Madisonville, and @ Warren Central.

Originally posted by Green Nation2:

Nothing from Green Nation2. Lizard has Catholic winning 6 games.
6 games? I said they would go 7-3 or could possibly go 8-2 or 9-1. Now Green Nation I know deep down you really want to be a "Lizette" you know like the Danette's from the DP show! I can definitly see you being the Don Imus of the Lizard's Lounge!!
smile.r191677.gif

18s07z2dkijx1jpg.jpg

OK. Just be firm with your picks. You go from possibly 6-4 because you said they lose to Apollo, OHS, South Spencer and sleeper game against Butler Co. That's 4 teams which is 4 loses. THEN you say they could be 7-2, or 8-2 or 9-1 that wouldn't surprise you a bit.

JUST give a FIRM prediction.

This post was edited on 8/18 12:57 AM by Green Nation2

OK. Just be firm with your picks. You go from possibly 6-4 because you said they lose to Apollo, OHS, South Spencer and sleeper game against Butler Co. That's 4 teams which is 4 loses. THEN you say they could be 7-2, or 8-2 or 9-1 that wouldn't surprise you a bit.

JUST give a FIRM prediction.
This post was edited on 8/18 12:57 AM by Green Nation2
Okay! I've thought about this - just for you GreenNation. Owensboro Catholic will go will go 8-2 (FIRM PICK) with a loss to OHS and Hancock Co. - yes I know I changed my original thought. OC could lose to Apollo the first game but I highly doubt it! I could be wrong and they won't get beat by Hancock - but I do know the hornets play them tough as hell. But they will lose at least 2 games this year in the regular season.

Is that FIRM enough prediction for you?
3dgrin.r191677.gif

dolly-parton.jpg

Watch much football Lizzard? I think Catholic is a little stronger than you think,,,,

Originally posted by rgbowlds:
Watch much football Lizzard? I think Catholic is a little stronger than you think,,,,
I've been know to watch a game or two! Granted I didn't see the
scrimmage against Henderson Co. Are you calling another state title run?
Go ahead - go out on a limb and make a "FIRM PREDICTION" as GreenNation likes to say!

Time
will tell if they are as strong as "you" think. Owensboro Catholic fans
always seem to have their chest sticking out pretty far about this time
of year and rightfully so. Then really pound their chest and boast
after beating sub par city teams but then when you get beat by OHS or
get beat by DC like you in in 07, 08 & 09 say "we're supposed to get
beat by teams like that - we're just 2A". I said Owensboro Catholic
would go 8-2 this regular season - which is a pretty damn good year! But
beating up on teams like Mclean Co. or Todd County Central with "Owensboro area athletes" isn't anything to brag about.

hauntedglasses.jpg

This post was edited on 8/19 9:30 AM by thelizardking1

Originally posted by thelizardking1:

I've been know to watch a game or two! Granted I didn't see the scrimmage against Henderson Co. Are you calling another state title run? Go ahead - go out on a limb and make a "FIRM PREDICTION" as GreenNation likes to say!

Time will tell if they are as strong as "you" think. Owensboro Catholic fans always seem to have their chest sticking out pretty far about this time of year and rightfully so. Then really pound their chest and boast after beating sub par city teams but then when you get beat by OHS or get beat by DC like you in in 07, 08 & 09 say "we're supposed to get beat by teams like that - we're just 2A". I said Owensboro Catholic would go 8-2 this regular season - which is a pretty damn good year! But beating up on teams like Mclean Co. or Todd County Central with "Owensboro area athletes" isn't anything to brag about.

This post was edited on 8/19 9:30 AM by thelizardking1
LOL! So what was your excuse for OHS, DCHS, and AHS when Catholic won city in 2011 and 2012?
A school that lives in a city with 6-A and 5-A schools and scrimmages a 6-A school, but DC plays a 2-A school in a scri
mmage and it's ok?

So is it the same ol story with the everyone else. 6-4 first round loss. OHS win city county then get bet in 2nd round or maybe 3rd?

I guess everyone does a chest thump....THat's why your on here right? Wife won't listen to you so you get on KYPreps.

BTW, not all Owensboro Area Athletes are great! You act like it's the MECCA of athletes. Just because they shine in the Owensboro Area doesn't mean they are great. You have to have the Wilkerson, Chapman, Miller attitude. Leave Owensboro forever and don't have the same Owensboro parent or citizen mentality like the world revolves around just Owensboro. Those guys were good in the pros because they left the city and rarely come back.

Using Basketball as an example and football can be too. But when was the last time the AREA won a state title in anything other then AAU or some summer league travel team? This area doesn't do well on teh big stage anymore. Sweet 16 one ot the best players in the state only scores 1pt? Same as Catholic in 2010, one of the best teams doesn't score a point in the state finals?

This post was edited on 8/19 10:48 AM by Green Nation2

LOL! So what was your excuse for OHS, DCHS, and AHS when Catholic won city in 2011 and 2012?
A school that lives in a city with 6-A and 5-A schools and scrimmages a 6-A school, but DC plays a 2-A school in a scri
mmage and it's ok?

So is it the same ol story with the everyone else. 6-4 first round loss. OHS win city county then get bet in 2nd round or maybe 3rd?

I guess everyone does a chest thump....THat's why your on here right? Wife won't listen to you so you get on KYPreps.

BTW, not all Owensboro Area Athletes are great! You act like it's the MECCA of athletes. Just because they shine in the Owensboro Area doesn't mean they are great. You have to have the Wilkerson, Chapman, Miller attitude. Leave Owensboro forever and don't have the same Owensboro parent or citizen mentality like the world revolves around just Owensboro. Those guys were good in the pros because they left the city and rarely come back.

Using Basketball as an example and football can be too. But when was the last time the AREA won a state title in anything other then AAU or some summer league travel team? This area doesn't do well on teh big stage anymore. Sweet 16 one ot the best players in the state only scores 1pt? Same as Catholic in 2010, one of the best teams doesn't score a point in the state finals?

This post was edited on 8/19 10:48 AM by Green Nation2
Laugh all you want but you would be surprised with the amount of people who would agree with me. You can't see it for your Green colored glasses you wear - you know kind of like "can't see the forest for the trees". With that said - I usually try not to make excuses - you get beat you just get beat all there is too it! DC might scrimmage a 2A school but they don't play 2A schools all year. Yes I know you play those 2A schools because the size of your school but - BUT you're playing those 2A schools with just as good of athletes if not better as a team like DC. Yes its true! You know it just as well as I do. Owensboro might not be the mecca of great high school athletes but I can say without a shadow of a doubt that Owensboro produces better athletes than towns like Calhoun, Livermore, Elkton etc. I agree with you that the Owensboro area is down especially on the big stage compared to Bowling Green, Lexington etc. but they still are better quality athletes than places like I just mentioned.

Listen, I can type till my fingers are sore and I am never going to convenience you to feel the way I do and vice versa. I thought we were "buds" on here - why is it that I feel like you are getting a tone with me? Please don't take my comments as that I am "bashing" Owensboro Catholic - I have been on the record on here many times giving them praise.

This post was edited on 8/19 1:18 PM by thelizardking1

Why do you think catholic has trouble scheduling games? Catholic use to play BG, Reitz, Memorial, North Hardin, etc.

They have to play a team out of Illinois this year.

Look at DC's schedule. I think I see Henderson Co. on there.

This post was edited on 8/19 1:46 PM by Green Nation2

Why do you think catholic has trouble scheduling games? Catholic use to play BG, Reitz, Memorial, North Hardin, etc.

I can't say I know why - how bout you just tell me! I'll take your word for it but I don't ever recall OC playing Bowling Green high or Evansville Reitz - now I do remember them playing North Hardin but they have been down in recent years.

You would think if Owensboro Catholic had this moniker of being such a dominant school to play that is all they would be able to play is big schools like BG, Warren Central or Evansville Rietz. Hey why don't yall play Evansville Mater Dei or Memorial? How would yall match up to them - I would say they would both beat OC. Again, I may be way off with that assumption! Just an opinion.

Other 2A powerhouse such as Newport Central Catholic play teams like Dixie Heights(6A), Simon Kenton(6A), Campbell County(6A) - outside of their district they play mostly all 6A or 5A schools. Or even Desalles is the same way. DC is the only 6A school yall play.

Originally posted by thelizardking1:

I can't say I know why - how bout you just tell me! I'll take your word for it but I don't ever recall OC playing Bowling Green high or Evansville Reitz - now I do remember them playing North Hardin but they have been down in recent years.

You would think if Owensboro Catholic had this moniker of being such a dominant school to play that is all they would be able to play is big schools like BG, Warren Central or Evansville Rietz. Hey why don't yall play Evansville Mater Dei or Memorial? How would yall match up to them - I would say they would both beat OC. Again, I may be way off with that assumption! Just an opinion.

Other 2A powerhouse such as Newport Central Catholic play teams like Dixie Heights(6A), Simon Kenton(6A), Campbell County(6A) - outside of their district they play mostly all 6A or 5A schools. Or even Desalles is the same way. DC is the only 6A school yall play.
Both Border Bowls. They played Reitz in the first one and then Bowling Green in another.
Yes, so my theory on athletes in this area is correct. When Catholic plays other 6-A and 5-A schools here and wins you say well they weren't good.
DC played Bosse and Harrison.
This post was edited on 8/19 1:51 PM by Green Nation2

-----A little perspective from an outsider; In the past 15 seasons, OC has played BG once, a 45-6 loss, Reitz twice, both losses 30-14 and 40-6 and Mater Dei twice, both losses 45-13 and 42-3. That is probably why they are not on recent schedules. Believe it or not some coaches do not schedule gimmie games-----

GreenNation before getting off work on a Friday!
laugh.r191677.gif

McGumbusStPatricks-WEB.jpg

GreenNation before going into the Owensboro Catholic Game!
laugh.r191677.gif

1297538288751_ORIGINAL.jpg

GreenNation during a half time of most Owensboro Catholic games!
laugh.r191677.gif

im-just-looking-for-a-girl-who-is-willing-to-close-her-eyes-during-s-e-x.jpg

GreenNation after any loss!
laugh.r191677.gif

St.-Patricks-Drunk.jpg

Ok Lizzard man to set the record straight, Catholic has played Reitz , Memorial &BG in years past,,,, Catholic plays local schools for obvious reasons , they have two dates they can schedule other teams outside their 2-A schedule.
South Spencer is at least a 4-A school by Ky standards..the team in Ill. I have no clue..

Footnote ; Catholic scrimmaged BG before the picked up Hendo,, I'm sure OHS would love to not play BG, but they must..

This post was edited on 8/19 2:35 PM by rgbowlds

Originally posted by WhiteEagle:

-----A little perspective from an outsider; In the past 15 seasons, OC has played BG once, a 45-6 loss, Reitz twice, both losses 30-14 and 40-6 and Mater Dei twice, both losses 45-13 and 42-3. That is probably why they are not on recent schedules. Believe it or not some coaches do not schedule gimmie games-----
That is right - that's why Catholic doesn't schedule those type of teams. Those scores aren't anything to write home about!

RG, OHS doesn't have to play BG every year. They aren't in the same district or even the same class (BG is 5A, OHS 4A). Honestly, I wish OHS would drop the game because the all time series will be tied before too long if they keep it up.

Catholic has had some tough games in the past. Catholic can't help that they have to play Todd County and Mclean County because they are in their district. They MUST play them. Scheduling teams isn't as easy as it would seem. Some schedules are made out 2 years in advance, so getting a new team can be difficult. Catholic has been playing South Spencer for years, and it's well noted that Evansville schools aren't going to play Owensboro schools anymore unless they get a home and home. I don't know why the E'ville schools complained because they were paid very well for their Border Bowl games. I'm sure if they wanted to host a Border Bowl at the EVSC schools, that the Owensboro schools would try and make it happen.

Also, Catholic has been scrimmaging Henderson for the last few years and they scrimmaged Bowling Green before that. That's pretty good in my eyes. OHS used to scrimmage Mayfield but the KHSAA only allows for one scrimmage and Mayfield choose to participate in their traditional scrimmage with Milan TN every year. OHS picked up Hoptown, wish historically has been very good. They are down right now but they still have tons of speed. Catholic and OHS schedule well. In some years, too well, lol.

devil.r191677.gif

Devils I appreciate your response to posts related to Catholic,not like the Lizzard man who by the way is Admin,
. He should try to disguise his unlike of his hometown Catholic school,,,,,

Devils58 - It is my understanding that next year both Bowling Green high and OHS will be both 5A and I think in the same district. I could be wrong about the same district thing but I do know if they would definitely face each other in the playoffs which would be a tough task for OHS given the recent success BG has had in the state football playoffs! That is why I say if OHS is going to make a state title run it better be this year while they are still 4A - never year will be a much more difficult task.

rgbowlds - Yes I am an ADMIN - not by choice I was somewhat appointed back last winter. I am sort of like the Barney Fife of Admin's - No bullets in my gun, some days they give me one! I don't dislike Owensboro Catholic I have said that many times on here before I pull for all area schools - didn't you read my OC prediction at the top of this thread. I gave them a lot of credit. I hope they win 2A this year - I don't think they will but I hope they do! I hope they win every game this year except the one against DC! Would a person who dislikes a team say that?

For what it's worth - Both of you should consider yourselves lucky that OHS and Owensboro Catholic can be spoken in the same sentence as a state championship game. I can't say I have the ability to talk about that - I don't ever see DC making it to the 6A state title.

So there is that - don't say I ain't humble! I am a realist - I would like to think I have a good grasp on what will likely happen in some of these high school sporting events!

This post was edited on 8/19 4:03 PM by thelizardking1

Lizard, I know I am a bit late to this discussion, but I simply have one comment for you. There is NO Daviess County High School football fan, coach, administrator, etc that has ANY grounds to be talking bad about any aspect of any other high school football team. Considering the number of kids to choose from, Daviess County is the definition of PATHETIC as it relates to football.

Ok Lizzard man to set the record straight, Catholic has played Reitz , Memorial &BG in years past,,,,
-----Not played Memorial in past 15 years-----

Originally posted by Workout1:
Lizard, I know I am a bit late to this discussion, but I simply have one comment for you. There is NO Daviess County High School football fan, coach, administrator, etc that has ANY grounds to be talking bad about any aspect of any other high school football team. Considering the number of kids to choose from, Daviess County is the definition of PATHETIC as it relates to football.
I agree with you for the most part. But if you really want to get into that conversation. I would say most of the DC male students are really what you say "interested" in high school football. They have their mind on other things - if you ever are around DC much you would know what I am talking about. Just walk through the parking lot of Daviess County High School on a school day! You might get an idea of what I am talking about. Now I am not making excuses - it's just a fact of the matter. But I wouldn't call the school pathetic when it comes to football. They are much more improved that where they have been in the past.

Originally posted by WhiteEagle:
Ok Lizzard man to set the record straight, Catholic has played Reitz , Memorial &BG in years past,,,,
-----Not played Memorial in past 15 years-----
You tell em WhiteEagle! Although not worry I am used to getting ganged up on in here! Nothing new to me. I think we all should sit back in be realist about this conversation. Just like both you and I are doing!

This post was edited on 8/19 5:09 PM by thelizardking1

I've said for years I won't talk school boundaries with Owensboro Catholic fans as long as they don't bring up enrollment. I'm old enough to remember when Catholic was in 3A when there was only 4 classes....it wasn't pretty....

Originally posted by devilschild:
I've said for years I won't talk school boundaries with Owensboro Catholic fans as long as they don't bring up enrollment. I'm old enough to remember when Catholic was in 3A when there was only 4 classes....it wasn't pretty....
What exactly do you mean by "school boundaries" - I think I have an idea what you are talking about but please elaborate.

OCHS has kids from the west end of Owensboro as well as kids probably from Utica and West Louisville. Their boundaries are not the same as say Owensboro SR. So I've never understood why enrollment is brought up by some Catholic folks when kids come from all over to their school. Not that I have a problem with kids going to Catholic or any school not in their jurisdiction. I just find it funny that some folks use enrollment as an argument when kids come from all over to Parrish Ave. I respect Catholics program. If my child had to go somewhere other then Owensboro it would be Catholic....Anyway Owensboro hands down plays the toughest non district schedule in town and always has....and always should....(shrugs)

Just since Coach Prince has been around,in non district games, we've played Lville Male, John Hardin,Bowling Green,Henderson,Eville Reitz,Eville Memorial,Lexington Lafayette,Warren Central,& Meade Co. I'd like to see Owensboro play Lexington Catholic,Paducah Tilghman,Mayfield,Boyle Co.,Collins,Lville Central,Danville,Castle(IN),Jasper(IN),or Heritage Hills(IN) too.

Originally posted by devilschild:
OCHS has kids from the west end of Owensboro as well as kids probably from Utica and West Louisville. Their boundaries are not the same as say Owensboro SR. So I've never understood why enrollment is brought up by some Catholic folks when kids come from all over to their school. Not that I have a problem with kids going to Catholic or any school not in their jurisdiction. I just find it funny that some folks use enrollment as an argument when kids come from all over to Parrish Ave. I respect Catholics program. If my child had to go somewhere other then Owensboro it would be Catholic....Anyway Owensboro hands down plays the toughest non district schedule in town and always has....and always should....(shrugs)
Not just from all over the county - it's also from outside the county. i.e Zach Barnard in the early 2000's & I am sure there are a few more that doesn't come to mind. He was from Spotsville(Henderson Co.) I am not sure how true it is but someone once told me that Owensboro Catholic has a bus that drives to Henderson Co. everyday to pick students up. I am with you I respect the hell out of Catholic's football program and I think John Edge one of the best coaches in this area. He is by far the most proven!! Any program would be lucky to have him. In a nut shell all I am saying is that Owensboro Catholic doesn't play by the same rules as other city/county schools. Just like you are saying with the school boundary issue. Yes I know they can do that b/c they are private. But somehow in my mind it doesn't make it right. That is all I am saying.

It was never my intention for people to assume I was downgrading Catholic high. I would never blatantly do that. Trust me I wouldn't.

Devilschild, I will agree with you that OC has no boundaries. That is just the nature of private schools. But the other 3 city schools have their fair share of transfers and kids living "out of their boundaries". I think it would be a fair statement to say OHS doesn't play in Rupp Arena last year without that big guy in the middle that lives in Ohio Co. I could give many more examples but I don't have time. Having said that, enrollment numbers still matter. A large enrollment, sprinkled with a few transfers here and there is tough to compete against.

Catholic played Memorial in 2008.

This post was edited on 8/19 8:23 PM by Green Nation2
-----Must have been a phantom game, not listed on your schedule or the KHSAA web site for 2008-----

Oh Owensboro has definitely had its share of transfers in and out. I think the two kids that came from Apollo this year, Board & Collier, will be big contributors in football. I also think the Morton kid willbe outstanding in Catholics offense. To me it's still different having a locked in boundary as opposed to having half the student body from all over the county. Again kids and parents should be able to send their kids wherever they feel. I just think it's an equalizer for enrollment differences when you have no boundaries on where you get kids. Give me 60 kids from all over Daviess Co. and I'd play anybody anytime....

Originally posted by QuadAces41:
I played memorial in 2008 border bowl and got beat 30-14
-----Ok, I will take your word for it. I was not there. The KHSAA web site shows that Reitz beat OC in that game 30-14.
That was what I was going by. I apologize for the mistake-----

Have you ever been to DC to see these 1600 athletic kids roaming the halls? They aren't football kids. Football has never been big on the East side, especially at the youth level. No feeder means no young kids falling in love with the game. Coach Kimbrell has the best kids that want to work playing for him. I'd venture to say that most kids don't want to give up their summer to practice in the heat and miss their poolside time. It's not like OHS kids who see football as a way to escape their home life or be a part of something positive. Most DC kids have that, they see football as work. I'm an outsider but I can see this. I assure you if the county and city schools combined like Henderson, they'd be hard to handle statewide. Don't hate on them for working with the ingredients they've got.

Originally posted by the-watcher:
Have you ever been to DC to see these 1600 athletic kids roaming the halls? They aren't football kids. Football has never been big on the East side, especially at the youth level. No feeder means no young kids falling in love with the game. Coach Kimbrell has the best kids that want to work playing for him. I'd venture to say that most kids don't want to give up their summer to practice in the heat and miss their poolside time. It's not like OHS kids who see football as a way to escape their home life or be a part of something positive. Most DC kids have that, they see football as work. I'm an outsider but I can see this. I assure you if the county and city schools combined like Henderson, they'd be hard to handle statewide. Don't hate on them for working with the ingredients they've got.
GREAT POST the-watcher!!!!! I agree 100% and no it isn't just us "Red Sea" brethren sticking together. If some of these posters had any sense and truly knew DC for what it is they would agree too! You are absolutely right about DC not being like OHS and I would say even what Apollo has now become. It is exactly what I was trying to say in a previous post about walking through the DC student parking lot on any given day - I guarantee it will rival the car you drive and in most cases those cars are probably nicer than yours! You have the realize that DC is unique in the fact that they have the richest of the rich and the poorest of the poor - there is a small percentage of "middle class" kids walking the halls at DC. Daviess County High School has students from the richest neighborhoods in the county and also has students from the poorest trailer parks in the county. So just think about it for a second - those "really wealthy" kids aren't really concerned with playing football and the "really poor" kids probably aren't interested in playing or don't have the opportunity. So the in my opinion the truth is Marcus Kimbrell only has a small percentage of what you would call "football kids" to work with.

If you don't agree with what I've just said then you don't truly know DC for what it really is!!!

ADVERTISEMENT