ADVERTISEMENT

Out of the game, but never really leaving

Commonwealthsports

KP All-Pro
Dec 11, 2012
Not sure how many of you are aware that I stepped down from Kentucky Preps last month. Long story short, school got in the way and as I prepare to apply to law school I needed to get all my ducks in a row. Although I moved on from covering in-state recruiting my love for high school football in the Bluegrass has gone no where. And now since I'm no longer working for Rivals and no longer have to placate coaches, players and parents to stay on their good side for recruiting insider purposes I'm about to get real on this message board.

One last shot

First let's start by talking about the school who's probably had the best team for the last two years, but can't get it done in November -- Male. Make no mistake about it, the Bulldogs have choked in both of their last two seasons while being the superior team in Louisville in each of them.

Initially, only losing one game during the 2013 season that put Male football back on the map, so to say. That team would go on to be duped by a crisp wing-t running attack from the Scott Co. Cardinals in the state semi-final. The Cards would go on to win the 6-A title, after beating the Bulldogs in a game that the Cards completely controlled and effectively won before halftime.

Not to say Scott Co. was a lesser opponent, by any means, but Male was surely a shell of themselves in that one. Even if Male would have played up to its standards McKee's boys still probably would've edged them out, but it's just that the Bulldogs under performed and looked unprepared for what was in front of them that night.

Moving forward, Male was electric last season. Watching them in any capacity would lead one to believe it's going to take a lot to keep them from the state's top prize in its biggest class. With all the weapons and a senior quarterback who was poised and knew his position well, Davis Mattingly, it looked like a sure thing as far as I was concerned.

The Bulldogs were favorites in every game and rolled through the regular season with an unblemished record. All the while, lighting up the scoreboards and stat lines. But upon meeting a familiar foe in Trinity, for the second time, the Bulldogs were ousted by their former district rival.

Although that game could have went either way, Male sure seemed like it was the better team all season and choked in the end -- again. So that marks two straight seasons where they lost to the eventual state champs.

In 2016 they'll surely be one of the state's top teams again. Even while losing a DI running back in Ellis Cain to Marshall, a DI corner to Marshall as well in Coleman and Mattingly is currently walking on at UK, the talent pool is plentiful on Preston Highway.

Wakefield, Smith, Gentry all have DI offers. And while the rest of their roster may not have the major college interest they're still some of the state's best players.

If Male wants to win a state championship with its prized 2016 class it will have to do so with a new signal caller in Hayden Shelton. Shelton is a bit of a dual-threat QB, which will serve as an almost complete 180 from the pocket-passing Mattingly.

This season will certainly mark the end of an era for Male football. This 2016 class has fueled the recent resurgence of the storied program. And with that said, the title window may be slamming shut once this year is in the books.

Less with more

Lafayette undoubtedly had one of the most talented rosters and without question the best o-line in the state a season ago. And again this year they will be stacked with talent, although as far as championship contenders go they are not one.

The Generals are again chalk full with talent, but I'm not expecting much in regards to success on the field. For a team that has as many prized prospects on the roster their brand of football that's brought to the field each week is well below where I believe it should be.

I was only in attendance for one game last year, but I left unimpressed.

The Generals were up against Lexington Catholic, who were certainly out manned yet they played down to their level. It was easy to see clips of brilliance on certain plays from some of the many stellar athletes on the roster, but those isolated incidents were usually created by one player's ability -- like long runs filled with evasive maneuvers in tight spaces from Walker Wood, Quinton Brown, Mason Alstatt and Lucky Jackson. But what really killed them, were mental mistakes and stupid penalties.

I believe Lafayette should be one of, if not, the best team in the state this year with its current roster. Although that is simply not the case. Last year -- with two more DI players who have now graduated and moved on to WKU -- this team wasn't even the best in Lexington, much less the state.

So I'm calling for some improvement. Players and coaches alike from Lafayette you all are a talented group of people who have the means to go as far as you want to this season. I'm pleading with you all to put it on the field this year because I know you all could be as good as any team in the state this fall. Not only that, but it could be the best, most exciting brand of football in Kentucky.

Highlands goes 5A

With all moves in classes and districts this season, the one that I believe will leave the biggest mark will be Highlands to 5A.

Anything Highlands football is news worthy. Adding the fact that 5A will return two state champions makes for a juicy story line. Get ready for a ton of Highlands-Pulaski talk this season.

I know I've always been hard on Pulaski and last year they made me eat crow a few times, but I've since become an about face in regards to the Maroons. And I believe they will go back to back.

I'm not sure how the state championship bracket shapes out and if these two could square off in Bowling Green. (And frankly, I'm too lazy to go to the KHSAA website and look.) But I sure would love to see it.

However for some reason, I think a certain group of Purples could have something to say about my hopes and dreams.

Worry-free Belfry

Belfry comes into the year again a favorite to win it all in 2015. Although the Pirates have two new challengers to go along with the ever-present Central Yellow Jackets in Class 3-A.

District rivals Lexington Catholic and Boyle Co. have moved into 3A's 4th district. So is Belfry who returns a lot of what they did last year still worry-free?

I believe they should be, at least for this season. LexCath and BOCO aren't as tough as they have been in the past. Neither team has a Lamar Dawson or Kyle Bolin on the roster. But over the next few years I believe that 3A is going to be one of the most fun classes to watch and keep up with.

Mayfield moves up

For many years I've heard rumors and allegations against Mayfield for doing anything to stay in 1A. The most notorious one being allegedly kicking boys out of school to keep the numbers right to stay there.

Of course there has never been any substance in those words. People can tell the story, yet can't support it with facts. I've always taken these rumors and ones like it with a grain of salt, as should you.

Case and point: Mayfield makes a move to 2A in 2015

With the storied program moving up, effects will be seen in a multitude of ways.

For one, it opens up 1A. The Cardinals have dominated their old class for some time, this move will give another school a shot to claim top prize in 1A.

Another, is more of a question "How will they fare?" Do they come in as a top dog to a class that DeSales has pretty much claimed its own and is only building onto?

Reactions: reallybigfan
Mr. Football

The Courier-Journal ran a story about the possibility of Woodford Co. offensive lineman and UK-commit Drake Jackson winning Kentucky's Mr. Football. To that I say if he deserves it give it to him, but my problem lies elsewhere on this one.

Let's be honest here, not many people, especially media types that will vote on the award, are going to flock out to Woodford Co. on a Friday night to watch a football game. And as an offensive lineman, voters will not have a stat line for Jackson to form their opinion on.

And I hate when the award goes to the No. 1 prospect based on where they're committed to and their name. I don't believe this is the case for Jackson, at all. If he should win the award he will have earned it. I would just like to know that the voters understand it. Don't just place the vote on the name, go out to a game and really watch the fluid lineman do his work. Or open his HUDL up and watch him completely dominate his opponents with perfect form, brute strength and a whole lot of grit.

Jackson truly is a special prospect that I feel had a shadow cast upon him by Damien Harris. It's easy to see why this happened with the stigma of lineman and the skill-player obsessed fans that we all are. Nevertheless, Jackson is a star worth mentioning as one of the greats to come through Kentucky. He just happened to be the best prospect both after, my choice for, the greatest Kentucky high school football player of all time and in a class that is as deep as any class in recent memory in our state.

Truthfully, I can only imagine four others who could be named Mr. Football in the preseason -- Keion Wakefield, Rodjay Burns, Quinton Baker and Zy'Aire Hughes.

• Male's Wakefield has been a name around Kentucky since he was offered by the Wildcats as a freshman at a camp he wasn't even supposed to be at. And in the year after, he put it all on the field in a major way. Bad news is he's hurt right now and won't be able to play for some time this year. And the injury may cost him his shot at Mr. Football.
  • Trinity's Burns is going to play both ways this year and will surely do damage on each side of the ball. He's bigger, faster and as hungry as ever to prove he's not only the best corner in the state but the best overall. There really may not be anyone physical enough to handle him this year.
  • Ashland's Baker will probably run for a whole lot of yards this season and also put up numbers in the receiving game as well as in the touchdown column. If you're looking for a statistical leader for the award he's your guy, I believe.
  • McCracken's Hughes is downright electric on Friday nights. You have no choice but to notice the play-making possession wide out. He's going to make a ton of big plays and is a human highlight reel. He's certainly the best the far west has to offer a year after Elijah Sindelar won the award.
I'll be around

I may not be able to do as much as i used to, but I'll still be around this year. I'll post when I can and do the same with games. Hope to hear and see posts from all the regulars (Lizard, Adopted Purple, Macdon, BBJ, even you Wildcat) as well as some newbies.
Here's a toast to a great 2015 season, as I raise my IPA in the air.

Good read CWS.

High School Football in Kentucky is improving and seems to be at a rapid rate. This is not a statement that I can quantify but it certainly seems that there are more "Blue Chip Prospects" in the Bluegrass than ever before. The last few years big name coaches have come to try their hand at raiding the state for top players.
I know overall numbers participating are down likely due to the "Concussion Discussion" but quality certainly seems to be up. Spring practice helps. Off season program improvement. Facilities are improving. More games are being played.

I like it. Let's roll!!

Good read CWS.

High School Football in Kentucky is improving and seems to be at a rapid rate. This is not a statement that I can quantify but it certainly seems that there are more "Blue Chip Prospects" in the Bluegrass than ever before. The last few years big name coaches have come to try their hand at raiding the state for top players.
I know overall numbers participating are down likely due to the "Concussion Discussion" but quality certainly seems to be up. Spring practice helps. Off season program improvement. Facilities are improving. More games are being played.

I like it. Let's roll!!

Any predictions from you Mac?

Bowling Green and Highlands play for the 5A State Championship.

South Warren and Franklin-Simpson is going to be a lively rivalry from now forward.

Warren East is going to get interesting again.

Mayfield is Mayfield no matter what classification.

Tilghman will be a powerhouse again....if not this year then next.

Schools with concrete stadiums will always be in the thick of things.

I'm a little late to the board this season and of course it had to follow a loss for my Maroons of Pulaski. I agree with most you pointed out, Commonwealth. Two things from me.

1. Belfry should be very worried in 3A. That class is as loaded as I have seen it in awhile. Belfry, Boyle, LexCath, Corbin, Tilghman, even end of the year Central will all be stout come playoff time. I wouldn't hand the Pirates the trophy just yet.

2. Riley Hall should be on your Mr. Football watch list. He was the only junior that made the list last season if I'm not mistaken. Although his lack of size hinders his recruitment to a high level school, his leadership and winning attitude are second to none. Don't let my homerism fool you. He is THAT good.

Good luck in your law school endeavors!

I'm a little late to the board this season and of course it had to follow a loss for my Maroons of Pulaski. I agree with most you pointed out, Commonwealth. Two things from me.

1. Belfry should be very worried in 3A. That class is as loaded as I have seen it in awhile. Belfry, Boyle, LexCath, Corbin, Tilghman, even end of the year Central will all be stout come playoff time. I wouldn't hand the Pirates the trophy just yet.

2. Riley Hall should be on your Mr. Football watch list. He was the only junior that made the list last season if I'm not mistaken. Although his lack of size hinders his recruitment to a high level school, his leadership and winning attitude are second to none. Don't let my homerism fool you. He is THAT good.

Good luck in your law school endeavors!

A loss? Or a 22-point thrashing? I wasn't there, could you fill me in?

All jokes aside, I believe Belfry should be worried for the future. This year and the year after, however, I believe it's going to be rather tough to knock them from the 3-A throne. Cole Bentley and Rayquan Horton are just too good. I don't believe an offensive line in Kentucky could control them and only a slim few could somewhat contain them.

I'll agree on your second thought. Hall may not be the 6-3, 200-pound DI prototype, but the kid is a gamer. Love watching him play. Has extraordinary zip on his ball for a smaller guy. His knowledge and passion for the game also makes him a guy to root for. Highly doubt he'll be in the running because of all the star power in this class, but he deserves some mentioning.

A guy I forgot to mention is Kash Daniel. I'm betting he could end up holding that trophy too.

And lastly, thanks for the support.

I didn't get to make the trip to Scott County either. I ended up going old school and gluing my ear to a radio all night. That game was MUCH closer than the score indicated. It was a 1 possession game in the 4th with a top 3 team state-wide. I'll take it. I personally don't think that loss was a make or break for the Maroons for the season. It's a good test every team should have throughout the regular season. That match-up will no doubt help both teams in the end. (I love a good battle-tested schedule.)

You must not forget that the Belfry middle school will be going for a 4-peat this year (and I think they'll get the Division II championship). I know it's a different level, but history is showing that for the most part, it translates. We can't overlook that. They have plenty coming up to help refuel the high school. I don't see them taking a significant dip for awhile. They have a very nice machine running over there from bottom to top. With that said, 3A got significantly tougher with the realignment. I can see 5-7 teams battling it out year in and year out. It will get harder for them.

Kash Daniel. I forgot him too. In your opinion, what would it take for a lineman like Drake Jackson to get Mr. Football? It almost always tends to go to a skill player. It would be nice to show the big boys some love with this award. They're vastly underrated at their positions. Of course I'm pulling for Hall. How much should team success play into the decision? I don't see Woodford County, McCracken County, Paintsville (however with a couple of upsets, this could happen in 1A), etc. winning a title or even making a deep run. Even though they deserve to be in the discussion, I don't think the representatives you mentioned for Trinity or Male will win the award.

I didn't get to make the trip to Scott County either. I ended up going old school and gluing my ear to a radio all night. That game was MUCH closer than the score indicated. It was a 1 possession game in the 4th with a top 3 team state-wide. I'll take it. I personally don't think that loss was a make or break for the Maroons for the season. It's a good test every team should have throughout the regular season. That match-up will no doubt help both teams in the end. (I love a good battle-tested schedule.)

You must not forget that the Belfry middle school will be going for a 4-peat this year (and I think they'll get the Division II championship). I know it's a different level, but history is showing that for the most part, it translates. We can't overlook that. They have plenty coming up to help refuel the high school. I don't see them taking a significant dip for awhile. They have a very nice machine running over there from bottom to top. With that said, 3A got significantly tougher with the realignment. I can see 5-7 teams battling it out year in and year out. It will get harder for them.

Kash Daniel. I forgot him too. In your opinion, what would it take for a lineman like Drake Jackson to get Mr. Football? It almost always tends to go to a skill player. It would be nice to show the big boys some love with this award. They're vastly underrated at their positions. Of course I'm pulling for Hall. How much should team success play into the decision? I don't see Woodford County, McCracken County, Paintsville (however with a couple of upsets, this could happen in 1A), etc. winning a title or even making a deep run. Even though they deserve to be in the discussion, I don't think the representatives you mentioned for Trinity or Male will win the award.

I'm sure the Maroons will be fine. It should also be mentioned that for Scott Co. to be able to do that to PC, the Cards must be really good. The rest of 6A should take note.

Wasn't aware that the Belfry Middle School team was that good. And you're right it does translate to the next level. 3A is going to be highly competitive with this new alignment. Going to be one of the better classes to keep up with week to week as well as year to year.

Yes and Kash is a STUD. He's going to swing the Cody Crider crowd from last year who wanted an iron man to win the award.

For Drake to win, I hate to say this but, his team is going to have to do good. Now I know that isn't how it should be won, but it's going to play a rather large role when the dust clears. I think if we could watch each candidate on every down this season, the award would go to Jackson, because of his sure dominance on each play.

I'm sure the Maroons will be fine. It should also be mentioned that for Scott Co. to be able to do that to PC, the Cards must be really good. The rest of 6A should take note.

Wasn't aware that the Belfry Middle School team was that good. And you're right it does translate to the next level. 3A is going to be highly competitive with this new alignment. Going to be one of the better classes to keep up with week to week as well as year to year.

Yes and Kash is a STUD. He's going to swing the Cody Crider crowd from last year who wanted an iron man to win the award.

For Drake to win, I hate to say this but, his team is going to have to do good. Now I know that isn't how it should be won, but it's going to play a rather large role when the dust clears. I think if we could watch each candidate on every down this season, the award would go to Jackson, because of his sure dominance on each play.

I think the poor performance for Highlands against Scott County shows just how stout Pulaski's performance against them was. Running clock starting the 2nd half I believe. Similar end score, but totally different game.

On the middle school landscape, Belfry is notoriously very good. However, they're at the D2 level while most of the stacked competition is in Division 1. They're probably the most consistent program in the state at that level. Northern Pulaski (Pulaski County), Southern Pulaski (Southwestern), Johnson Central, Bowling Green, & the Union Raiders (Ryle) are probably considered the cream of the crop this year in no particular order at the D1 level.

I agree with you on your Jackson analysis. My early leader would probably be Kash factoring in two things. 1 - His contribution on BOTH sides of the ball. 2 - Team success. His Paintsville team just beat a 1A top-3 Pikeville team in OT. I know 1A is a different animal than the higher levels, but I'm trying to not let my bias toward the higher classes factor in. I really like the Beechwood team, but I think Coach Chirico and his Tigers take 1A this year. I know some of those players and they have "the dog" in them in crunch time.

I think the poor performance for Highlands against Scott County shows just how stout Pulaski's performance against them was. Running clock starting the 2nd half I believe. Similar end score, but totally different game.

On the middle school landscape, Belfry is notoriously very good. However, they're at the D2 level while most of the stacked competition is in Division 1. They're probably the most consistent program in the state at that level. Northern Pulaski (Pulaski County), Southern Pulaski (Southwestern), Johnson Central, Bowling Green, & the Union Raiders (Ryle) are probably considered the cream of the crop this year in no particular order at the D1 level.

I agree with you on your Jackson analysis. My early leader would probably be Kash factoring in two things. 1 - His contribution on BOTH sides of the ball. 2 - Team success. His Paintsville team just beat a 1A top-3 Pikeville team in OT. I know 1A is a different animal than the higher levels, but I'm trying to not let my bias toward the higher classes factor in. I really like the Beechwood team, but I think Coach Chirico and his Tigers take 1A this year. I know some of those players and they have "the dog" in them in crunch time.

I'm starting to just think that Scott Co. is very, very good. And Highlands has fallen off the cliff and hit every rock on its way down.

Kash is a serious competitor for the award. Although I must direct you attention to the fact of those Cody Crider supporters who thought his play on both sides of the ball should win him the award. We all know how that worked out. I think it's all stats, y'all. I hate that it's that way but it is.

That is true. However, Damien Harris or Elijah Sindelar are neither walking through that door. There is no dominant "he's winning if he stays healthy" type player in this class. Of course, that's just an opinion.

That is true. However, Damien Harris or Elijah Sindelar are neither walking through that door. There is no dominant "he's winning if he stays healthy" type player in this class. Of course, that's just an opinion.

You're right. But after a 5 touchdown night, watch out for Trinity's Rodjay Burns. Dude has to be at the top of the list right now. Putting up the numbers and it doesn't hurt that he plays for the Rocks and is a UL-commit, so he'll be thoroughly covered.

And he's scoring on both sides of the ball -- against very good competition I might add.

You're right. But after a 5 touchdown night, watch out for Trinity's Rodjay Burns. Dude has to be at the top of the list right now. Putting up the numbers and it doesn't hurt that he plays for the Rocks and is a UL-commit, so he'll be thoroughly covered.

And he's scoring on both sides of the ball -- against very good competition I might add.

That's true. If he keeps that up, it would be hard to go a different direction for Mr. Football. I wasn't aware he was putting up those numbers.

Going back to the bit i wrote about Lafayette, just saw where they were blasted by Trinity last week.

You can have all the talent in the world, still have to learn how to coach it.

ADVERTISEMENT