KP All-Pro
Nov 29, 2007
Those that are still open:
1) Adair County
2) Caverna
3) Henderson County
4) Hopkins County Central

Adair County
I don't think there has been a time table set for this hire. Teaching jobs are in question after having a lot of turnover the year before in that area.

Caverna
Hearing interviews are being set up for that last week of March. One of the problems in the past with Caverna has been not being able to get the coach in the building or district.

Henderson County
A very large applicant pool now cut down to 10 and hoping to make a hire before spring break

Hopkins County Central

Similar to Caverna, I'm hearing they will be moving on with interview process around or after Spring Break. It was posted March 1st, so right at or after Spring Break makes sense.

Adair County - I have heard they have closed applications and they are three in serious consideration. A current Adair assistant (I've heard AC folks are about half in and half out on him), a coach from Casey County, & a coach from Pulaski County. I didn't get names. Don't quote me, as I may be totally wrong on that. I heard it from a secondary source supposedly from a booster.

Sounds about right, although I don't think Foley from Pulaski Northern has actually applied. Adair had several teaching openings last year, but like most things in small districts like theirs--talent included--all cycles.

I expect Adair to hire from within. I don't think it's any secret across the state amongst prospective coaches or their admin that things there are going to have the chance to be really good for another year, and then things will come back down to the world of around .500 again.

Hiring somebody from the outside--a first time head coach at that--only to come in, win 9-10 games with a full cupboard & then bail for greener pastures is real. All of the sudden you go from a program that had seen stability along with the best days of its program, to now looking for their 3rd coach in as many years.

It's easy to sit here at laugh that off, but that's a real possibility and fear of hiring from the outside.

That makes a lot of sense. Just a thought here...What if you hire from within and 20% of your contributors quit because they don't like the move? Although a small percentage, that record can all of a sudden take a significant hit.

Foley is that Pulaski connection? I know him pretty well and haven't heard that yet. I'm not 100% certain he'd even take it if offered, but it would be worth a shot for them. That's just one man's opinion.

If they quit their senior year, then that speaks volumes of the type of kids-or young adults- they are...better yet, their parents for allowing that to happen. But that's just me.

Foley was just a name I'd heard, and later found out he hadn't applied.

I doubt they quit.

I agree with you. Some of them have some serious potential to play at the next level. Hard to believe they'd shoot themselves in the foot for that reason.

You're always going to lose some and gain some with a coaching change. It happened at FS with Coach Preston replaced Coach Schlosser. Most of those that left probably wanted to anyway and just used that as an excuse.

Hopkins Central is a program that will take a special person. That program is about as low as any has ever been.

You're always going to lose some and gain some with a coaching change. It happened at FS with Coach Preston replaced Coach Schlosser. Most of those that left probably wanted to anyway and just used that as an excuse.

Hopkins Central is a program that will take a special person. That program is about as low as any has ever been.

Agreed on the bottom. It's not worth losing sleep over those kinds, because they are likely the same kids that would cause you headaches as is, their parents included.

HCC will be tough, but didn't Rick Snodgrass--who is now the principal--have some success there relatively speaking?

Why can Caverna not keep a coach?

Neither of the last two coaches have been in the building or district for that matter. The guy who was there in 2014 still taught in Somerset and drove to Caverna everyday after school was out. The hour difference helped balance things.

While Caverna pays very well, both teaching and coaching stipend is about average or above--in that 7K range-- they are strapped for money when it comes to their sports programs. They have absolutely no business playing Trigg County, Somerset, Edmonson or Adair County. But, it's a big Catch 22 with them. Two of those opponents on the 15-16 schedule are bowl games, so they get a pay out and two others are one horse town county schools that are close in distance which usually means a pretty good gate.

Neither of the last two coaches have been in the building or district for that matter. The guy who was there in 2014 still taught in Somerset and drove to Caverna everyday after school was out. The hour difference helped balance things.

While Caverna pays very well, both teaching and coaching stipend is about average or above--in that 7K range-- they are strapped for money when it comes to their sports programs. They have absolutely no business playing Trigg County, Somerset, Edmonson or Adair County. But, it's a big Catch 22 with them. Two of those opponents on the 15-16 schedule are bowl games, so they get a pay out and two others are one horse town county schools that are close in distance which usually means a pretty good gate.

According to Google maps from Somerset to Horse Cave is 94 miles one way. So the guy was driving about 3 hours a day for 5 days a week and just say you do it for 20 weeks, which would be a low estimate when add in weightlifting and summer practice. That's 300 hours of just driving time for the season. Say a practice last 2 hours and say you have 80 practices a season, that's 160 hours of pratice time, again those number could be a lot higher. Then take the 11 games on friday night and think a typical gameday your putting in another 6 hours at least. That's 66 game day hours. Add that together and you got at LEAST 526 hours, and I'm sure some would argue that double that amount is put in once you add film, freshman/jv games, painting/stripping field, mowing the field, booster meetings, and everything else that a Head coach has to take care of. The point I was making for Caverna to ask someone to do that pretty much tells you what is wrong with their program.

After this year I doubt they will play Somerset again as I believe it was just put on their because the previous coach was from there. Edmonson and Adair County aren't terrible games for them as they Adair county is about an hour and Edmonson about 45 minutes away.

I have a feeling someone would try to use the Adair county job as a stepping stone. Your coming right into a team that should finish at the WORSE 8-2 and win a playoff game. Maybe that is why they are being so seletive with who they are hiring. Also with Gay being AP means no teaching job is opening, so that could play a part into it as well.

According to Google maps from Somerset to Horse Cave is 94 miles one way. So the guy was driving about 3 hours a day for 5 days a week and just say you do it for 20 weeks, which would be a low estimate when add in weightlifting and summer practice. That's 300 hours of just driving time for the season. Say a practice last 2 hours and say you have 80 practices a season, that's 160 hours of pratice time, again those number could be a lot higher. Then take the 11 games on friday night and think a typical gameday your putting in another 6 hours at least. That's 66 game day hours. Add that together and you got at LEAST 526 hours, and I'm sure some would argue that double that amount is put in once you add film, freshman/jv games, painting/stripping field, mowing the field, booster meetings, and everything else that a Head coach has to take care of. The point I was making for Caverna to ask someone to do that pretty much tells you what is wrong with their program.

After this year I doubt they will play Somerset again as I believe it was just put on their because the previous coach was from there. Edmonson and Adair County aren't terrible games for them as they Adair county is about an hour and Edmonson about 45 minutes away.

I have a feeling someone would try to use the Adair county job as a stepping stone. Your coming right into a team that should finish at the WORSE 8-2 and win a playoff game. Maybe that is why they are being so seletive with who they are hiring. Also with Gay being AP means no teaching job is opening, so that could play a part into it as well.

I think people looking at Adair County as a stepping stone job is exactly why they will hire from within.

Adair won't completely tank after 2016. They'll have a punchers chance at .500 or so seasons in 2017 and 2018. Their middle school groups this past year were pretty solid, and their 8th graders next year are a pretty athletic bunch. They won't be quite as good as the group coming through there now--but, I don't know that they ever had or ever will have that again--but, they'll be solid.

I don't think there schedule is changing that much either minus a couple people. 8-2 next year is very doable. The only reason they don't win 7-8 games guaranteed is if injury city was to hit, and hit those 4-5 skill kids that can all take it to the house anytime they touch it.

Adair - I'm hearing two horse race now. Adair assistant and Foley from Pulaski. The longer it drags out, the less chance Foley takes it if offered. That's just my opinion. Will take a special situation for him to leave Pulaski, especially now that the train is already rolling for 2016.

Tilghman - They have the talent coming up to be the shining jewel they used to be. I know a few of the younger kids over there and I don't see it being a player problem. Is it the administration?

Kurt Barber was just announced as the new head football coach at Paducah Tilghman. Formal announcement will be on Tuesday at 1 I believe. Should be a coach that the community can get behind and turn the program into what it should be.

Adair County - Jason Foley was offered the head coaching position late last week. After discussions I've had, he is 50/50 on it. Wouldn't surprise me to see him take AC or stay at Northern Pulaski middle. If he stays, that is a bold statement and shows his loyalty to Pulaski County in my opinion. Adair is a nice opportunity.

A lot of folks don't know that he was a varsity assistant at Russell County prior to taking Northern Pulaski's head spot in 2010. He has been offered the OC spot there twice over the past few years and declined.

Foley has turned down the Adair head coaching position. Applied in February, interviewed at the end of last week, and Adair officials expected a rushed decision today. In my opinion, Adair dragging their feet for 3 months and expecting a quick decision was the end result. I believe he would have accepted in March, possibly in April. May is a very late start for a varsity program, not to mention the investment he has already made into Northern Pulaski for 2016.

ADVERTISEMENT