ADVERTISEMENT

Contender or Pretender pt. 2

Commonwealthsports

KP All-Pro
Dec 11, 2012
usher_02.jpg

These are my predictions...

Just when I thought I said all I could say....

MadSouth played South Laurel and nearly gave it away...

These are my predictions...

I was torn, now I know exactly what to do...

I guess I have to give part two of my predictions...

If I'm gonna tell it then I gotta tell it all...

Dang near left Highlands because CovCath couldn't keep the ball...

I was torn, now I know exactly what to do..

Now I'm about to give part two of my predictions...

(Thanks Usher for lending the instrumentals to Confessions pt. 2 to play to the tune of my newest CONTENDER or PRETENDER thread)

HERE ARE THE PREDICTIONS I THINK I MESSED UP IN THE FIRST EDITION:

Newport Central Catholic -- PRETENDER

Changed my mind with these guys. I think they can still get to the state championship, but have no chance once they get there against whoever comes from the west.

Paducah Tilghman -- PRETENDER

Probably should have went this way to start.

Madison Southern -- PRETENDER

Say it ain't so, Eagles. After that performance at home, on homecoming, against South Laruel what am I to think?

HERE ARE SOME NEW TAKES:

Iroquois -- PRETENDER

Sorry for raining on the Raiders' undefeated parade, but an overtime win to a bad John Hardin team doesn't make you legit.

Mason Co. -- PRETENDER

Running though a bunny-slope schedule won't get anyone ready for the playoffs, especially when you're not of that caliber to begin with.

Central Hardin -- CONTENDER

May regret this later but the Bruins seem to be legit to me.

Owensboro -- CONTENDER

I think the Devils are among the top teams in 4A. Barring an act of choking once they get there, I think they'll be a tough out for anyone.

Franklin Simpson -- PRETENDER

Mac, can we still be friends?

Central -- CONTENDER

In a loss against St. Xavier, Central proved it can still be a force in 3A.

Corbin -- CONTENDER

With a question mark at the top of 3A, why can't the Redhounds be in the discussion.

PREDICTIONS THAT REMAIN THE SAME:

Caldwell Co. -- CONTENDER
DeSales -- CONTENDER
Glasgow -- PRETENDER
Belfry -- CONTENDER
South Warren -- CONTENDER
Bourbon Co. -- CONTENDER
Boyle Co. -- CONTENDER
Lexington Catholic -- PRETENDER
Highlands -- CONTENDER
Covington Catholic -- PRETENDER
Bowling Green -- CONTENDER
Warren Central -- PRETENDER
Pulaski Co. -- CONTENDER
McCracken Co, -- PRETENDER
Meade Co. -- PRETENDER
Male -- CONTENDER
Trinity -- CONTENDER
St. Xavier -- PRETENDER
Simon Kenton -- PRETENDER
Scott Co. -- PRETENDER
Lafayette -- PRETENDER

Curious about the Central update...how did a beatdown from a St. X team you've labeled a pretender ( a viewpoint I share) solidify Central as legit in 3A?

I agree with you for the most part with every team. I would question the St. X pretender label though. Nothing to hang your head about by losing a close one at BG and another one against the best team in the state of Ohio and the 29th best team in the nation. I wouldn't be surprised to see them "upset" Trinity this year.

Originally posted by listen&learn:

Curious about the Central update...how did a beatdown from a St. X team you've labeled a pretender ( a viewpoint I share) solidify Central as legit in 3A?
More of a getting better each week kind of thing. The central team who began the season would have been beaten by 40 by X and had no shot at the 3A title. I think they'll be ready come November.. Just my thoughts.

Originally posted by Wildcat_18:
I agree with you for the most part with every team. I would question the St. X pretender label though. Nothing to hang your head about by losing a close one at BG and another one against the best team in the state of Ohio and the 29th best team in the nation. I wouldn't be surprised to see them "upset" Trinity this year.
I take it you haven't watch St. X this year. And certainly haven't had a chance to compare them to Trinity or Male.

Just because they don the green and gold doesn't mean they're near the top. There's a huge discrepancy among talent between X and the other two. So much so I labeled them a pretender.

Originally posted by Commonwealthsports:

I take it you haven't watch St. X this year. And certainly haven't had a chance to compare them to Trinity or Male.

Just because they don the green and gold doesn't mean they're near the top. There's a huge discrepancy among talent between X and the other two. So much so I labeled them a pretender.
I'm not saying X will beat Trinity this weekend, but I wouldn't shut them down for the year as a "pretender" if they lose a close one. I haven't watched St. X, Trinity, or Male. Just as you haven't watched any of this years powers in any other class than 6A. I'm not convinced you've watched any game at all in 5A other than a Damien Harris highlight video.

Not sure how a 40 point loss to a St. X team you constantly knock equates to improvement. They're not an overpowering X team by any stretch, but I think they're better than you believe. Offensively they're struggling. Defensively, they're sound & tough. Trinity is more talented physically. I don't think X has enough firepower to beat them. That said, in a rivalry game, it would be a mistake to rule anybody out. Upsets happen in games like this.

I'm not saying X will beat Trinity this weekend, but I wouldn't shut them down for the year as a "pretender" if they lose a close one. I haven't watched St. X, Trinity, or Male. Just as you haven't watched any of this years powers in any other class than 6A. I'm not convinced you've watched any game at all in 5A other than a Damien Harris highlight video.
I haven't physically been to any games with 5A participants, yet. Though luckily, I have a HUDL account with permission from many teams to watch full game tape -- or what I usually call a Thursday night. So, in fact, I have watched many of the teams I've spoken on.

And who hasn't watched Harris' highlights?

Not sure how a 40 point loss to a St. X team you constantly knock equates to improvement. They're not an overpowering X team by any stretch, but I think they're better than you believe. Offensively they're struggling. Defensively, they're sound & tough. Trinity is more talented physically. I don't think X has enough firepower to beat them. That said, in a rivalry game, it would be a mistake to rule anybody out. Upsets happen in games like this.
May have to edit that. For some reason I had written down Central only lost by 20 to St. X. Oh well, I still don't think there are many more that fit the role of contender better in 3A than Central. Although my short assessment may be flawed.

May have to edit that. For some reason I had written down Central only lost by 20 to St. X. Oh well, I still don't think there are many more that fit the role of contender better in 3A than Central. Although my short assessment may be flawed.
That score maybe a little deceiving, considering the turnovers and the block punt that Central gave up. If it wasn't for those mistakes the score would have been alot closer. The stats show X only out totaled Central in yards 227 to 169.

Not sure you can assume that. Aren't turnovers what you want in order to give your offense less distance to travel? If St. X forced turnovers in Central territory, is that not a measure of good defense? Central probably had more time of possession too, but you can see how meaningful that statistic is.

ADVERTISEMENT