ADVERTISEMENT

Mid-Season Championship Picks

Wildcat_18

KP Junior
Sep 16, 2014
I thought it would be interesting to see everyone's mid-season championship picks based strictly on the first half of the season. A lot more ball left to be played, but here are my picks as of today:

1A: Beechwood (4-1). I really want to go with Paintsville here because I know a couple of their players. Watch out for Hazard. They could be a sleeper if their defense keeps playing well.

2A: Danville (6-0). I like what I've seen from the Admirals so far. Mayfield always has a shot. I like CAL as well, but we'll be able to tell more about them after next week's match-up with DeSales.

3A: Corbin (4-1). I'm taking a shot with Corbin. I think this is their year after Belfry's domination. However, we shouldn't count out the Pirates. Boyle County will be my 2nd pick. They're good enough to win it on any given day.

4A: Johnson Central (5-0). It's theirs to lose until someone else steps up to compete. Second tier teams with an outside shot? Wayne County and Collins would be my next two.

5A: Covington Catholic (6-0). The Purples are still a great team, but I don't think they're standing alone like in years past. They're very beatable. I'm anxious to see the Bowling Green/South Warren game. That will determine the pretender/contender between the two.

6A: Trinity (6-0). Tonight's game with St. Xavier will be telling. Upsets can happen, but it looks like a two horse race to me between those two.

1A - Beechwood

They beat a really good Corbin team and have been battle tested. It'll be an easy win. Others with a chance are: Hazard.

2A - CAL

Still the best football team top to bottom in 2A. Big, experienced and athletic...the favorite imo. Others with a chance are: DeSales is a really good team that is improving every week, Mayfield, Danville.

3A - Boyle County

Strong class...Boyle is improving rapidly with young talent. They are big and fast and will be a tough out. Others with a chance are: Belfry is probably the favorite but I went with the Rebels in the end. Corbin, imo cannot beat Belfry and on the wrong side of the bracket. Three horse race.

4A - Johnson Central

In a walk. Others with a chance are: nobody.

5A - Cov Cath

Great all around team that seems to be on a mission. Others with a chance are: Bowling Green, South Warren.

6A - Trinity

In a walk. Others with a chance are: nobody.

Last edited:
2A: DeSales took care of CAL by 3 scores. That changes some things in my opinion. I'm still going with Danville as of today, but the gap is closing. We'll know a lot more when the Admirals and LCA face off in a couple weeks.

3A: I do think Boyle has a shot this season, but I think they're still about a year away from doing some serious damage. The sophomore class is loaded and experience will do nothing but help in the next couple of years. I'm sticking with my original Corbin pick for the moment.

I'm a little concerned about CAL but I'm holding out hope that when their QB gets back on the field the team will return to their old form.

DeSales is firmly in as my second choice.

2A is still the only one up in the air for me. Going with DeSales if CAL QB isn't healthy by playoff time.

In 3A Boyle Co is doing what I expected them to do at this point in the season.

All my picks are still alive with Mayfield and/or Danville beating CAL as my only worry.

I like my picks still.

Go Rebels!

I'm confident on all my other picks besides 3A. That has been the class I've flipped on the most. First half of the season, I went with Corbin. Second half, Boyle. After the playoff run, I think I'm back on Corbin. I don't know what it is, gut feeling. Beechwood, Danville, Johnson Central, CovCath, Trinity. I'll guarantee those 5.

I'm confident on all my other picks besides 3A. That has been the class I've flipped on the most. First half of the season, I went with Corbin. Second half, Boyle. After the playoff run, I think I'm back on Corbin. I don't know what it is, gut feeling. Beechwood, Danville, Johnson Central, CovCath, Trinity. I'll guarantee those 5.

Here my take.

Gunna be low scoring. I don't see how Corbin can score enough to win. They will probably get no more than 50-60 yards rushing and the QB isn't mobile enough to run on this defense. We've controlled every QB and RB we've faced on the ground. Can he beat us with his arm? We've faced better throwing QBs this season too and fared well. This game rests on the shoulders of Sizemore for Corbin. If he's unable to complete passes they don't have a chance imo.

On offense Boyle will pound the ground attack and then loosen the Corbin D up with some passing.

I really think the Boyle D, the turf and our speed will be the difference.

21-7 Rebels

Went about how I thought except I way overestimated Corbin's D. Boyle could have scored even more points if needed. Without stupid early penalties on Boyle D and special teams...score could've been much worse.

Corbin was in trouble from the start.

If Boyle finds a couple of linemen (which I'm sure they will), Rebels going to be a real threat to repeat. Got to go to LexCath regular season and to Belfry in regional final and to Corbin semi-state. Gunna be in the road thru the playoffs AGAIN next season. Boooo!

ADVERTISEMENT