ADVERTISEMENT

Green Co. @ Metcalfe Co.

Faded green,I totally understand your reason for wanting to schedule Adair co. and Green co also has some young talent. best of luck to Green co in the future.

SOKYSPORTSINK, you made the statement that this is a Program that has been going in wrong direction for past 5-6 years? Where have you been? The following were records the past 5-6 years leading to this season:

2007: 12-1
2008: 10-3
2009: 9-4
2010: 8-4
2011: 7-4

2012: 6-5
2013: 5-6

You may be using the amount of wins as your assumption but you must factor in that during this time 5-6 years ago, noone wanted to schedule the Dragons due to the talent. In 2008, that team was arguably one of the 5 best teams we've had in the history of Green County and without the injury to TB Zeth Rogers, the Dragon may have given Ft. Campbell a run for the State Title. Since then they've had to schedule teams like Lone Oak, Caldwell Co, Hazard, Bell Co, Middlesboro, Danville, Frankfort, Lexington Christian, Marion Co, and Glasgow who all are respectable and traditional powers in their Classification. The likes of Adair Co, Hart Co, Casey Co, Edmonson Co, and Russell Co wouldn't even answer the phone during these years to even consider scheduling. Now the past 2 seasons have been mediocre and this season certainly below the norm but I see the need to schedule with the opportunity for some success. Mainly to get the optimism back in the community where Football use to be the place to be on Friday Night and the topic of conversation the other 6 days a week.

Big Eye,
Thanks for the research, and that is what my point is exactly; especially about the excitement on game night in those earlier years. We played some respectable teams back then, and Metcalfe, Monroe and some of the others were much better at that time than now. Other than some struggles at playoffs time, we were a statewide threat in our class in '07, '08 and beyond. Not so the past few years. We haven't even had a playoff win since 2010 when we blew out Bardstown 67-42. Our record this year is already going to be less than last year.
I'm a fan of Dragon football, and I would love to have some of the old excitement back regardless of scheduling or who is coaching the team. If everybody pulls in the same direction, I think the new coach can get it turned around. It's about the team and not others. We may be Clinton County for Fort Knox soon if we don't all work together.

Faded Green the issue is not talent I have told that to you face to face. You announce football and have never worn a pad in your life. You don't know much about the game from what I hear on the radio! Big Eye you are dodging the issue, all coaches aren't made alike. You don't have to look very far north of Green to see that at Taylor County. they changed one thing midseason and now are expected to beat Green. They changed COACHES! I will give you a prime example of differences in the program now and before. Cody Bloyd was walking the halls of GHS at 6'-4" 300 lbs. Never played until he was encouraged to do so as a Senior. He was offered a full scholarship by Campbellsville College on potential alone! That was before. Kids came in on Sunday to watch film and study the upcoming opponent, as well as review past performance. that was before. Kids worked out 3 to 4 times a week on weights on condiditoning during the summer, that was before. JV and freshman teams played almost every week, the current team has 15 players that went to John Hardin in 2012 and beat their freshman team. that was before. There were 45 to 50 guys and 2 gals dressed on Friday nights for the game, many times they all played in the game. that was before. Commitment, work and then more work makes a program, Green County always has kids that will work and are hungry for success. To say there is no talent is critizing the current kids on the team and is not true nor fair to them. Either get to work or hire someone who will!.

BadBoyRJ,

I was not dodging the question at hand but your quotes are right on. I know first hand because I was on the sideline at those times. You are right, our kids then lived, eat, and breathe football. Like I stated before, football (in order to be successful) is a year around job. The commitment by both players and coaches has to be universal. I too do not like it when someone says, the talent level is down. Why is that? Traditional football starts from Little League up. Structure, commitment, dedication, and a complete system is the way it needs to be. Same rules for everyone. IMO, even the Little League is not where it once was and that is not because we don't have talent. It all comes down to those in charge. Many people gave Coach G hell but I am one to tell you that man had an influence on the football program from the game on Friday Night to the last knee pad given out to a 5 year old. I could tell you many ways he helped the program from philosophy, time, dedication, to financially. I'll just say, being a "GOOD GUY" doesn't always mean you are right for a Program nor the athletes. BadBoyRJ, you are right on with what is taking place the next town over from us. Dudley Hilton can flat out coach and the Cardinals are benefiting from him in a very short time. Boy wouldn't that have been a good fit. Anyway, we can blame all day. Too bad we cant make the changes needed, but its ashame things have to get to a boiling point before someone is brave enough to say something. I like to think I had a small inkling of something that help revive a program that is now fallen apart.

This post was edited on 10/15 1:46 AM by BigEyeInTheSky

This post was edited on 10/15 1:48 AM by BigEyeInTheSky

Bad Boy, you do not know as much as you think. I coached Green County football for ten years (8th, Freshman and JV), just to get that straight. I also played on the first team. Now as to my son who you attacked, he may not have played, but his knowledge is of the game is high. Knock him because of something I posted, not very good. Bad Boy, I never knocked the talent at the school, I just pointed out that Green and other area schools are in a down cycle. Leave my son out it. I and many others appreciate the job he does with Joel (plus he does not get paid). He is as big of Green County fan as there is. If you know him, you would how much his knowledge of sports is. Attack me, no problem. Maybe I can learn from you about the game. This is not personal, but you came off too strong for me and I would suggest you know your facts before you post. Have a good day. I would add I said talent level not about no talent, surely you understand that as it pertains to sports.

This post was edited on 10/15 12:03 PM by Faded Green

Originally posted by Faded Green:
...Both teams have good head coaches, just going through the small school pattern on levels of talent...
Bless the few informed fans that understand this reality here in our state of 10,000 small schools. Maybe the most true statement I have ever read on this site.

You guys in Hart Co. Have Been using that excuse for 15 years. May be true with Caverna, not sure, but certainly not Hart Co. Hart is just like Taylor, full of untapped potential. I have seen the track team from Hart, nothing but athletes who can run! Consolidate Caverna into Hart and save taxpayers some money. Move into 21st Century W.E.Raider!

Surely you people have more going on in your lives than arguing back and forth about small time Podunk Kentucky high school football.

ADVERTISEMENT