ADVERTISEMENT

Green Co. @ Metcalfe Co.

BigEyeInTheSky

KP Sophomore
Sep 4, 2014
This game has been somewhat a rivalry game for both teams that really started back around 2007 where both teams were making noise in Class 2A. Lately it has been owed by the Dragons. Green is coming off a thumping from Class 2A's #2 team Caldwell County and sets with a record of 2-4. Metcalfe is coming off a bye week with extra preparation for this matchup. Both teams are facing a much needed win as it is the first District game. The Dragons will travel to the Hornets in a game where it looks evenly matched. Both teams have had trouble scoring for the most part, I give the edge to Metcalfe on the defensive side while I feel the Dragons are better offensively and played the much tougher schedule. Who wins this one, thoughts?

BigEye, your post covers the upcoming game quite well. Both teams have good head coaches, just going through the small school pattern on levels of talent. Green plays hard and so does Metcalfe, I look for an even game, but I will pick Green.

Can't be there in person as I wasn't able to score tickets, but I'm looking forward to this one. Hoping BigEye can keep us updated.
This post was edited on 10/9 10:22 PM by SECHonk

Very familiar with both teams. Both teams have good coaches. Talent in HS comes and goes and these two are trying to push through it. Young guys and first year starters as well as guys swapping position from last season. According to Mother Nature this could turn into a wet sloppy football game. Neither team is considered a passing team so whomever takes care of the football and plays 10 yards at a time will win this one. The Dragons is probably considered the favored in this one but I know the Hornet players really want to beat this team. I have ties to both programs so it will be interesting watch for me. However I will supply the game rundown as best as I can for guys like SECHonk who seems to miss out on tickets for all the good ones :)

This post was edited on 10/10 12:07 AM by BigEyeInTheSky

Green has seemed to start slow in every game they've played this season, only to find a way to open holes in the second half. After watching them play against LaRue (a come from behind win) and Danville (got too far behind to make a valid comeback attempt...plus the Ads' speed hurt), I'm thinking Green has a slow start in the first half, trails at halftime only to find a way to win in the second half.

Green 35
Metcalfe 27

Originally posted by SECHonk:
Can't be there in person as I wasn't able to score tickets, but I'm looking forward to this one. Hoping BigEye can keep us updated.

This post was edited on 10/9 10:22 PM by SECHonk
-----Honk, you are a lucky man. I have multiple friends in Edmonton and I was able to get two on the fifty for you and Bobbie Sue. My friend Herman will be working the gate and he will have the tickets. I told Herman you could be identified by your white Converse and cap on backwards. If that fails, give the peace sign and tell Herman the Bird sent you. The Hornets are a slight dog in this game but I think Coach Harbison will have them ready for the upset..I know you don't get to many big games so enjoy the game and atmosphere at Hornet Field. GO HORNETS-----

MC wins toss and defers. So far a couple 3s and out as surprisingly the field is in tremendous shape despite all the rain.

Dragons put together back to back 30+ run only to have option pitch picked off by MC's #31 Lance Zurmely (sp) and returned to Dragons 27 yd line.

Hornet QB #6 Tucker Scroggy connects with TE #48 Sam Walhbert for an 9 yd TD reception. #4 Ty McMurtrey conversion run.

MC. 8
GC. 0

17.0 seconds to go in 1st quarter

MC's #10 Chance Jones picks off a Dragon pass and returns it 58 yards for a Hornet TD. #2 Robbie Sanders kick good.

MC. 15
GC 0

4:32 to go in 1st Half

HALFTIME:

Metcalfe County Hornets. 15
Green County Dragons. 0

Notes: Very limited offense by the Dragons as Metcalfe's defense has set the tone of the game. Two interceptions, one return for touchdown, while the other setup a short touchdown pass. The Hornets are playing with a little more emotion as turnovers will kill you in a close game.

Hornets 3 and out to start 2nd half and a fumbled snap on punt gives Dragons 1st and 10 from Hornet 22 yard line

After a couple plays for loss, on 4th and 8 the Dragons QB #12 Austin Matney connects with RB #21 Tahj Calhoun for a 20 yard TD reception. Conversion run no good.

MC. 15
GC. 6

8:10 to go in the 3rd quarter

GC's #21 Tahj Calhoun picks off Hornet QB and returns it 28 yards for a Dragon TD. Conversion run no good.

MC. 15
GC. 12

3:51 left in 3rd quarter

Dragons defense holds as pass is knock down by #76 Logan Westmoreland. Dragons take over on their own 19 yard line.

Hornets go to trickery as the ole Hook & Latter goes 38 yards for TD. Touchdown was by #48 Sam Walhbert. #2 Sanders kick was good.

Metcalfe 22
Green 12

9:14 to go in game

Victory formation as clock is under a minute.

FINAL SCORE:

Metcalfe County Hornets. 22
Green County Hornets 12

Notes: Sloppy turnover game but Hornets found a way to win.

-----Herman said you were a no show, just like I figured. Congratulations to Coach Harbison and the Hornets-----

Thanks SECHonk. Here to help anytime. Btw, this was first win for Metcalfe Co over Green Co since the 2nd round Playoff win of 42-14 in 2007 !!!

Interesting fact, since the 2007 playoff win for the Hornets, they had been outscored by the Dragons in their meetings 308-65 until tonight's win. Big win for the Hornets but leaves Dragon fans wondering, "What in the world is going on in Greensburg?"

Traveling back from BG tonight and caught this on the radio. Guy doing radio said Green had 5 or 6 turnovers?...in an evenly matched game, the team that wins the turnover battle usually wins the game. He said Green had more yardage of offense at the time (didn't hear the totals...signal wasn't great), but that doesn't matter when the pigskin hits the ground. Sounded like a slop fest.

With this loss what does it look like for the future of this head coach? Losing to Metcalfe sure doesn't help.

I would venture to say his job is safe. I am sure he would assume some blame for the loss, but he did not fumble seven times. Green is going through a small school cycle regarding talent and I do not believe a change of coaches would change a thing. Take Metcalfe, I think they have a very good head coach, but I do not think his job would be in danger if he had lost.

I do not blame the coaches no more than I buy the whole lack of talent thing. The personnel is not the problem. These kids have won at all levels up to this point. The difference in the programs in my opinion is one expects to win every game VS a program looking to make a rise. Green had good enough teams in early 2000s and 2007-2011 that expectations are somewhat different. It starts with scheduling, then with learning your kids. Follow that with putting personnel in right positions to fit what's best for the team. I am one who doesn't think the head coach is always to blame. Coaching is not easy, if so everyone would do it. There are a lot of factors in having a successful program. It's a year around job and starts with Little League and up. As far as this game, I was there. If I call correctly, there was a total of 9 turnovers. Green had 5, Metcalfe had 4. 3 of Metcalfe's turnovers were in the 3rd quarter. That in result is what Green used to get back into the game. As far as total yards, that is a stat that is sometimes misleading. Metcalfe score on an interception return and a trick play. Also there passing TD was set up by another interception. Neither team was impressive on offense. Truth is Metcalfe's defense actually controlled the whole game. A lot of punts both ways, we can all look for excuses. This was a game Green let slip away because I now see them not winning another game after Taylor County's improvement. How will a final record of 2-9 look in the hearts of the Dragon program?

This post was edited on 10/12 2:26 PM by BigEyeInTheSky

Big Eye, I am not blaming lack of talent, but Green and just about every area school is in a down cycle. Look at Monroe and Russell County, for example. Green and Metcalfe do not have the talent level of a few years ago, does not mean that we do not have some good players, just not enough of them. A new coach or shifting of positions is not going to change things that much. Most every year, you can look at the schedule of the small schools and what they lost from the last year or so and predict the season's record. You probably have predicted the last two games fairly accurately. Glasgow was a L at the beginning and Taylor was in the W column. Now Taylor is in serious doubt. Look at the three players Green has lost since the beginning of the year, makes a difference, especially against Metcalfe. In the big scheme of things, how many players do you see moving into Green County, unless the new preachers bring in a player.

No new players will move in ... however we have to be logical here. I hope the schedule next year is much more forgiving. Caldwell Co, Danville, Franklin Simpson (in which would have been another Loss), Glasgow, Lexington Christian. Thats brutal in my opinion. However with the way things are going, not sure if adding Adair Co, Russell Co, or any other area school would make a difference. Next year will be a new season, same guys, a years experience. Lets hope things make a turn for the good. The days of Evan Jaggers, Chavis McDermott, Donovan Burton, Justin Pendleton, and Zeth Rogers are GONE. Elite players from our school. Somebody has to take the next step or we will be having same conversation next season. I am not a mastermind, nor do I blame coaching. Been there. Something has to change, multiple things, football has to become a priority once again because this community needs it.

I don't have a dog in the fight, but I pulled out my copy of cats pause from back in August and they had Green finishing behind Metcalf in district play, so it sounds like everyone else knew this was a likely possibility except those with buried heads. Black eye? Is there a scandal? Otherwise I remember a coach a few years ago from Green throwing a temper tantrum and it being all over YouTube and this site. Seems like that would be a black eye. I will look on the KHSAA website, but I am gonna guess this isn't the first down year in school history. Heck...Trinity is down and they aren't losing their minds and they can actually recruit their talent, not just rely on local genetics! Lol. Lighten up folks.

BigEye, I agree about the schedule. I would like to add Adair and Hart. I believe Monroe will be back to 2A. Next year, I believe we will be competitive, but I look for tough games with C-ville, Taylor and Metcalfe. We have been beating these teams for awhile, but the worm may turn, we'll see. That old worm turns every few years. Green was on one streak where we lost to Taylor fifteen straight games. We used to own Metcalfe. Small school ups and downs. Even ten-plus state champ Danville had some unlike Danville seasons lately (they may be back though).

Faded, any idea on some games.next year? I had heard we are out of the Marion County bowl because the CU bowl was pushed to second week and we play Casey County possibly? And we will have Metcalfe, Glasgow, Monroe, Cville, Taylor, Danville, and Larue. Wonder who they get for first game and to replace Caldwell and LCA? They said LCA was a one year deal unless they set something for two more years

If you guys are looking for w's I would think long and hard before I put Adair co on my schedule for the next 3 years...

Jelly, I know Adair will be a good team, I would like to add them for travel, gate and rivalry reasons. BigEye, do not know on schedule for sure, but you can be assured, there will be changes.

Big Eye,
A 2-9 record (if that is how it ends up) isn't what most GCHS fans were hoping for this year, but that wouldn't mean all is lost if it happens. Most GCHS fans knew this was not going to be a banner year (tough schedule, injuries, talent level, etc.). The major key is keeping the players optimistic until we can turn around a program that is been going the wrong direction for the past 5-6 years. It's not going to turn around in one year. We need to all pull in the same direction and encourage the players, and that hasn't been the case the past few years.
Go Dragons!

BigEye, unofficial changes in schedule, add Russell, Casey and Washington. Minus Caldwell (thank goodness) and Marion.

ADVERTISEMENT