ADVERTISEMENT

2015 Kentucky Middle School Football State Championship

Is your high school team's feeder entered in this tournament?

• Total voters

Wildcat_18

KP Junior
Sep 16, 2014
I thought I would post an update for the 2015 KYMSFA Championships for this season. The play-in games start next week with the state championship game on November 1st. I'll try to post win/loss updates as the tournament occurs if there is much interest on here.

Division 1 - Defending Champion is Corbin. They were loaded last year and will be a force in high school the next 4 years. The favorite this year is probably Northern Pulaski. I only say that because they beat the defending 7th grade champion (Johnson County) earlier in the year in OT. Those two would have to be my co-favorites. My final 4 predictions are Bowling Green, Union, Meade County, & Northern Pulaski.

Division 2 - Defending Champion is Belfry. They're going for the 4-peat in that division and will probably get it. They're by far and away the favorite for this division. My final 4 predictions are Franklin Simpson, Scott County, Taylor County, & Belfry.

Division 3 - Defending Champion is CAL. From what I've seen, I really like Meece, New Harlan, and Pikeville. My final 4 predictions are Mayfield, CAL, Meece (Somerset), & New Harlan.

7th Grade Division - Defending Champion is Johnson County. The teams I like in this division are Northern Pulaski, Corbin, and Knox County. Whitley County also has a nice squad. I was somewhat disappointed that Meece didn't enter both teams into the tournament. They're good. My final 4 predictions are Bowling Green, Westport, Farnsley, & Northern Pulaski.

Look through the brackets and give me your predictions!

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Some of you may be interested in the history of past champions at the middle school level. Here's what I have gathered since the Association has began in 2008.

8th grade- Bluegrass (John Hardin)
7th grade - Bowling Green

D1- Bowling Green
D2- Meece (Somerset)
7th - Corbin

D1- Southern Pulaski (Southwestern)
D2- Corbin
D3- Williamsburg
7th - Northern Pulaski (Pulaski County)

D1- Northern Pulaski
D2- CAL
D3- Meece
7th - Southern Pulaski

D1 - Southern Pulaski
D2 - Belfry
D3 - Butler County
7th - Johnson County

D1 - Johnson County
D2 - Belfry
D3 - Lexington Christian
7th - Corbin

D1 - Corbin
D2 - Belfry
D3 - CAL
7th - Johnson County

I hate that Owensboro Middle School doesn't play in this tournament. Both their 7th and 8th grade teams went undefeated and destroyed everyone with the exception of the 8th grades 2 point win over Bowling Green. I know middle school basketball starts early, but I would like to see how OMS stacks up against these teams. I would think they'd do quite well.

I've heard Owensboro has a good team this year. I wish they would have participated as well. They could have made a nice run at this thing based on what I've heard from the folks I've spoken to. The western part of the state needs more powerhouses at the middle school level. It's ruled by the eastern side at the moment.

I think the middle school basketball season needs to be pushed back. In OMS' conference the conference tournament starts in January which is entirely too soon. I know OMS always has kids who play football and basketball so I've always heard that's a big reason for OMS not playing in the football tourney. Bad thing is, it's not just this year. OMS has had several good teams that maybe could have had a good showing in this tournament. Good luck to the teams that do participate. A state championship in any form is always an exciting thing for kids!

I'm a big advocate of separating the main sports seasons (baseball, basketball, & football) as much as possible because at the middle school level specifically, there are so many multi-sport athletes. You never really know until high school which will be your ticket to get to the college level. The basketball state tournaments occur in February I believe. We have many dual sport athletes in our group who wait until football is completely over to move on to the next sport. For most, it's October, but for the lucky ones it's November or even December with all-star festivities. Those 8th grader all-stars could contribute on most varsity squads right now. Those are guys who will make it to the next level.

I guess it might be an ok thing to have, but didn't Butler County win this 4 years ago or so? They just got demolished by Owensboro Catholic.

Butler County was a small D3 school. When you're that small, you have to keep kids out. I'm assuming their top studs probably chose another sport or simply hung up the pads. To be fair, the other champions in that 2012 class will all have good shots to make the championship this year in high school. Belfry and Johnson Central will probably win their classes this season.

Bowling Green, Belfry, Pulaski have all won KHSAA championships. Southwestern, Johnson Central, Corbin, Williamsburg, etc. didn't seem to hurt their chances by getting the middle school head start as well.

I love the whole concept of this tournament. I think it's great for the kids and gives them a chance to compete against other teams outside their area, which is uncommon in middle school. I think any team that participates will benefit, and I also love the who all star thing they do as well. The Kentucky-Tennessee middle school all star game is also a great thing for these young kids. Speaking of that all star game, Kentucky needs to lock up Owensboro's Monte Owsley and Bowling Green's Vito Tisdale. That's a nasty 1-2 punch right there.

I love the whole concept of this tournament. I think it's great for the kids and gives them a chance to compete against other teams outside their area, which is uncommon in middle school. I think any team that participates will benefit, and I also love the who all star thing they do as well. The Kentucky-Tennessee middle school all star game is also a great thing for these young kids. Speaking of that all star game, Kentucky needs to lock up Owensboro's Monte Owsley and Bowling Green's Vito Tisdale. That's a nasty 1-2 punch right there.

The FBU Kentucky Team and the Kentucky-Tennessee teams are different. Totally different teams with totally different players and coaching staffs. The Kentucky FBU team has been in contact with both these players families about that opportunity. They made the national elite 8 last season out of the 64-team national tournament, which is pretty impressive. I feel like they will make a serious run at the national championship this year if they can put the pieces in place. Very stout team. They need support from these kids and those schools to get it.

Oh ok. I didnt realize that. Well, do your best to lock up the two I mentioned cause they are explosive. I'm not kidding man, OMS' Monte Owsley is one of the best I've seen come through OMS. I'm not convinced he couldn't return kicks for the varsity right now. Is the FBU Kentucky team through the coaches association?

I'm glad you mentioned that. I would say that 98% of the kids on this team would be able to help and contribute to their varsity squads immediately as a freshman. When I say they're loaded, I believe they would complete with many varsity squads in lower high school classes. People always call me crazy when I say that.

The elite 8 in each class should be established after this weekend. I'll post an update early next week.

Elite 8 - 10/17/15

My final four predictions in italics. I will also add my own opinion of the rankings of teams left in each class based on players, film, games I have seen.

D1 - Bowling Green will play Drakes Creek. Moore will play Meade County. Anderson County will play Union. Southern Pulaski will play Johnson County. Now that Northern Pulaski is out, I really like Johnson County to meet Bowling Green in the finals. I think the Golden Eagles repeat.

1. Johnson County
2. Bowling Green
3. Southern Pulaski
4. Union
5. Anderson County
6. Meade County
7. Moore
8. Drakes Creek

D2 - Hopkinsville will play TK Stone. Taylor County will play Bluegrass. South Oldham will play Scott County. Belfry will play Clay County. It's Belfry's until someone else says otherwise.

1. Belfry
2. South Oldham
3. Taylor County
4. Clay County
5. Scott County
6. Bluegrass
7. Hopkinsville
8. TK Stone

D3 - Mayfield will play Glasgow. Meece will play Williamsburg. Georgetown will play CAL. New Harlan will play Pikeville. This is an interesting division. I can see 3-4 teams winning this one. I pick Meece, but the New Harlan/Pikeville winner will be a tough out.

1. Meece
2. New Harlan
3. Mayfield
4. Pikeville
5. Georgetown
6. Williamsburg
7. CAL
8. Glasgow

7th - Glasgow will play Bowling Green. Crosby will play Farnsley. Elkhorn will play CAL. Northern Pulaski will play Johnson County. I'd say there are about 4 teams capable of winning this one. (My top 4.) Corbin is a team who was eliminated early that is realistically a top 3-5 team.

1. Northern Pulaski
2. Johnson County
3. Bowling Green
4. CAL
5. Farnsley
6. Elkhorn
7. Glasgow
8. Crosby

Final Four! Re-ranking the 4 teams after the weekend.

D1 - Johnson County vs. Meade County. Bowling Green vs. Union.

1. Johnson County
2. Bowling Green
3. Union
4. Meade County

D2 - Belfry vs. Taylor County. TK Stone vs. South Oldham.

1. Belfry
2. Taylor County
3. South Oldham
4. TK Stone

D3 - Meece vs. Pikeville. Mayfield vs. CAL.

1. Meece
2. Pikeville
3. Mayfield
4. CAL

7th - Northern Pulaski vs. Crosby. Bowling Green vs. CAL.

1. Northern Pulaski
2. Bowling Green
3. CAL
4. Crosby

For those of you around Lexington, but not attending the Breeder's Cup, UK/Tennessee, or Halloween festivities... Come on over to Bryan Station.

Championship Weekend at Bryan Station High School in Lexington KY.

October 31, 2015 - Semi-Final Games

Game Time

8:00 AM 8th Grade D2 - Taylor County vs. Belfry
9:30 AM 8th Grade D2 - TK Stone vs. South Oldham
11:00 AM 8th Grade D3 - Meece vs. Pikeville
12:30 PM 8th Grade D3 - Mayfield vs. CAL
2:30 PM 7th Grade - Bowling Green vs. CAL
4:00 PM 7th Grade - Crosby vs. Northern Pulaski
5:30 PM 8th Grade D1 - Bowling Green vs. Union
7:00 PM 8th Grade D1 - Meade County vs. Johnson County

November 1, 2015 - Championship Games

Game Time

12:00 PM 8th Grade D2
2:00 PM 8th Grade D3
4:00 PM 7th Grade
6:00 PM 8th Grade D1

2015 KYMSFA State Champions:

D1 - Johnson County 38 / Bowling Green 36 - Great game by two very evenly matched teams. Vito is a stud.

D2 - Belfry 14 / South Oldham 8 - What many thought would be a blowout, just wasn't. Very good game to watch. Martin of South Oldham is a very underrated running back.

D3 - CAL 16 / Pikeville 12 - The was the upset for me. I knew CAL was a good team, but I didn't really know how good until now.

7th - Northern Pulaski 36 / Bowling Green 0 - Northern is the real deal. They outscored their final four opponents this weekend by a 86-6 total. Don't see it slowing down much next year.

Early 2016 Predictions:

D1 - Northern Pulaski (4th Title)

D2 - Corbin (5th Title)

D3 - Meece (Somerset) (3rd Title)

7th - I literally have no guess right now.

ADVERTISEMENT