ADVERTISEMENT

Turning the tide?

Commonwealthsports

KP All-Pro
Dec 11, 2012
There's a lot of talent in the next three classes up for graduation in Kentucky (2015, 2016, 2017). Wonder if there's any chance these young men will change people's mind about Kentucky high school football and the prospects therein.

Also interesting is that of the top seven prospects listed on the front page only one is from Louisville. In the past one would look to Trinity and/or St X and the bulk of D1's were consider there.

Now Warren Central, Warren East, Madison Southern, Caldwell Co are represented. WKU is loading up on KY kids and they used to never do that.

Originally posted by macdon:
Also interesting is that of the top seven prospects listed on the front page only one is from Louisville. In the past one would look to Trinity and/or St X and the bulk of D1's were consider there.

Now Warren Central, Warren East, Madison Southern, Caldwell Co are represented. WKU is loading up on KY kids and they used to never do that.
Bowling Green is becoming a hot spot for recruiting. Western Kentucky is on the rise as far as prospects are concerned. Gotta love it!

I've been pondering this for a while now.

Here are some answers I came up with:

1. The talent level is up in Kentucky.

We're working on some back-to-back classes that will produce prospects that will almost immediately have some contributions to the program they are signing with. We are also seeing a five-star prospect some through the Commonwealth for the first time. Some will relate this rise in talent to the college coaches that have come through our state in the last decade or so. I've heard that coaching clinics have been of much importance to the growth for Kentucky football.

2. It's always been there

Some will say it's always been the same. There are new innovations to the sport like HUDL and social media. Coaches are now able to see more kids than ever before with new technology. This could lead to more kids being discovered, by programs and coaching staffs. Kids from the state are also becoming more and more prevalent at camping events. Not to down anyone, but even kids with zero shot of going to a division-I school are now camping. I know that has nothing to do with the talent level, but it's a testiment that kids do want to get better and how much has changed.

3. It's just a spike

Now this isn't the first time we've had some real talent come through our state. I mean Michael Bush, Brian Brohm, Tim Couch, Sean Alexander... It's not anything unprecedented, it's just that it seems that there's a lot in a small period of time. Some will say it's just a spike that will go back down in time.

I am of the believe that the talent has always been there. Now you just have more ways for the talent to be seen IMO. I'm really excited to see what the next couple of classes do at the next level.

Originally posted by devilschild:
I am of the believe that the talent has always been there. Now you just have more ways for the talent to be seen IMO. I'm really excited to see what the next couple of classes do at the next level.
I think I side with all those answers in some ways. I do believe the talent level is up with guys like Brown, Harris, Barker, Timmons, Quick, Hatcher, Bivin. I also believe we've had, maybe not this high of a level, but a level of talent that what was thought. And we have a 2016 class that's stout -- in that there's many guys in that class that are high-division-I prospects. 2017, also exciting and there are about four 2018's that will be big-time prospects as well. Which I think kinda discounts the spike thesis, since it seems to be plateauing after a rise.

There are probably more kids playing more football throughout the state.

A couple of things contribute.

Schools that have started programs for the first time in the last five years.

The average season is probably between 11-12 games and it used to be barely 10. Success is attainable.

When I played there was one team in Warren County that could compete for a State Championship. Now there are five. BGHS, Central, Warren East, South Warren, Greenwood. In the last few years all have been to a regional championship or beyond.

Until more money and emphasis is put on football programs all over the state, there won't be any "turning of the tide" anytime soon. There is more than enough talent, but with the one-sport athletes growing by the dozens each year it doesn't look good. Administrators and board members in each district are to blame IMO.

You know, this may not be a popular answer for this topic, but I'll roll with it anyway. I personally think it is because some of the programs are taking their feeder systems a little more serious than they used to. I think the emergence of the Kentucky Middle School Football Association a few years ago (I'm thinking 2008?) helps and the fact that the KHSAA is looking to and eventually will take over middle school athletics says a lot about the direction of it. A lot of the feeder teams are trying to implement their high school's system, specifically offensively. I'm sure there are a variety of factors, this is just one that sticks out to me.

Agreed. The earlier it is repped the easier it will be to implement at the high school level. Good point.

This is a great topic!!! I think we'll have to bring it up on The Homers for discussion. I think the rise in talent in the state of Kentucky is a combination of several factors:

1- I think the talent has always been there. Historically teams like Paducah Tilghman, Hopkinsville, Owensboro, Mayfield, Bowling Green, Warren Central have always produced great athletes. Throw in teams like Male, St. X, Trinity, (other Louisville metro schools), Highlands, Boyle County, Danville, and other NKY teams and you have a lot of good football producing programs.

2- Technology and the internet. I think in some ways, Hudl has redefined what is expected of high school athletes. Now they know that they have to produce on the field so they can have Hudl highlights to show prospective coaches. That give you more incentive to play hard, play your responsibility, and give a little more when your tired. Also, the internet is an ocean of information. You can find out where all the camps are to get your prospect showcased to college coaches and recruiting services.

3- More kids are playing football. More schools are playing football and more schools are taking their feeder programs more seriously. I think 20 or 30 years ago, it was common to see a 6'5 275 lb kid working his tail off on his basketball game. Now, that same kid realizes he's more suited for the gridiron. Like Alex Davis said, there are a record number of kids who are going to camps, even if they aren't college level athletes. It stands to reason if the participation numbers are up, the chances of high level prospects will be as well.

I really think the KHSAA dropped the ball by cutting out 7on7's during May and June. There are so many tournaments down South that our teams can't participate in because of the KHSAA's ruling. I think the KHSAA let the basketball guys get in their ear about losing kids for summer league games because they were playing 7 on 7 football. Hopefully, the KHSAA will reconsider that soon and let these kids get some valuable summer reps in.

All in all, I say Kentucky football is on the rise. Bowling Green, Trinity, and Highlands have all played marquee out of state games and have fared well. I look for more schools throughout the state to try and take their programs to the next level. Scott County is a perfect example of that. Basketball is still king in Kentucky, but more communities are finding out how amazing Friday nights in the fall can be. Kentucky's rise at the high school level will directly benefit all the college programs throughout the state, especially the smaller schools. The more in-state kids you get, the more butts are in the seats because families will travel to watch their kids play football. This is especially huge for schools like Kentucky Wesleyan and Lindsey Wilson.

devil.r191677.gif

Totally agree with the out-of-state games playing a factor with notoriety along with hudl. The only bad thing about hudl is kids wanting to make highlight plays every once in a while rather than doing what they're coached to do. But all in all I've been pretty impressed with the talent in KY.

It's good for Ky. but it still and always will lag behind the other southern states, even those with comparable populations---Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, SC, etc. The reason why, and no one will want to hear it, is the African-American populations in those states compared to this one. So talk about feeder systems, middle school ball, etc. all you want, but this is the real reason. on the whole, Ky. HS FB is just not on the level of these other states due to the lack of quality and quantity of good athletes. Just the way it is.

ADVERTISEMENT