ADVERTISEMENT

Herron is keeping his options open, but still strongly committed

Feb 8, 2018
As National Signing Day 2018 comes and goes, focus turns to the 2019 class. And with it, the crown jewel of the Commonwealth’s in-state class this cycle Louisville (Ky.) Trinity defensive end Stephen Herron.

Kentucky Preps caught up with the 6-foot-4, 225-pound Michigan commit and asked him about his plans for the next year.

On his Recruitment:

“I definitely want to keep my options open.” Herron said. “It’s never a closed door until you sign.” Explaining, “At the end of the day, I definitely want to keep my options open, but I am verbally committed and it’s pretty strong. I might take a few [Official Visits], but I won’t go all over the country.”

Herron also told KP, he has no interest at all in the early signing period. He doesn’t see any issue with taking the full allotted time to make sure he’s making the right choice.

The four-star has two state championships and is aiming his sights at a third to end his high school football career. There’s also something else he would like to accomplish in his senior campaign. “I want to see if I can get Mr. Football.” Admitting, “[Between] Wandale Robinson and Milton Wright I have some competition.”

Herron also has a blueprint on how he’s going to win the award given only to seniors. “I have to have more tackles than last year. I had 98 tackles, I couldn’t get over the 100 [tackle] hump.” he said. “I’ve got to get that number up. And I have to come out with more sacks -- I need 20-plus.”

As far as plans for the spring and summer go, “I’ll be doing the big camps like Adidas Five-Star. Hopefully, I can get to The Opening too. You know, the big ones. I won’t be camping at any schools.”

Pretty normal itinerary for a prospect of Herron’s stature, going into his last year of high school.

“I’ve been told I would most likely get my invite [to the U.S. Army All-American game] during the spring.” also pretty normal for an elite-level prospect, but nevertheless an achievement. “I definitely want to play in that game – it’s a goal for me.”

In the immediate future, Herron has nothing planned, although he said “I’m definitely going to talk to Michigan about visiting as soon as I can get up there.” Right now, he’s concentrating on wrestling and his grades. However, a visit to Ann Arbor could come in about two weeks when Trinity has winter break.

Contact between Herron and the Wolverines is at a “pretty normal amount” by his standards. “I wouldn’t say it’s too much or too little. I think it’s where it should be. We always have good conversations about football, about where I would fit in at, where I would play in the scheme. So I can’t wait.”

When asked if other schools are still actively recruiting him, Herron told KP “Definitely,” Continuing by revealing, “Stanford has visited four times in the last month.”

Early on, it was obvious the New Albany-native was interested in the Cardinal. And apparently still is along with some others, “Stanford was a good school for me. I definitely still consider Stanford, highly. I consider Florida, highly.”

The Gators have a peculiar relationship with Herron. “Coach [Todd] Grantham gave me my first offer. I’m really close to him, I was really close to his son when he was at Trinity too.” Finishing, “I really still like a lot of things about Florida and Stanford.”

Other than that, Ohio State and Clemson are in contact on a weekly basis.

The Commonwealth’s top prospect has an eventful year ahead of him, until next signing day. How eventful, is still to be determined.

ADVERTISEMENT