ADVERTISEMENT

Tilghman???

Primpwatcher

KP Rookie
Oct 16, 2003
After a very rough start, Tilghman seems to be playing better, albeit against weak competition. They have outscored their last three opponents 160-24. They seem to get their act together better towards the end of the season and play well in the playoffs, especially last year, defeating South Warren, but falling apart against Wayne. Does anyone else think Tilghman has gotten it together, or is the weaker teams, or both?

It is a little of both. P T s district was exceptionally weak this year with the collapse of fort campbell. But Tilghman played very well the last three games. I expect them to at least make it to the regional championship game. If they win that then who knows?

Doesn't matter if you are a District Champion or 4th place. The Tilghman bus is not the one you want pulling up to the gate for a playoff game. No matter what their record.

Tilghman is very young, small, and thin in numbers.
However they are playing their butts off and finding ways to make it work.
Rogers is doing a great job and his offense is starting to click as they are playing much better ball than they were earlier in the season.

Just imagine if PT would've hired Jack back in 04. What he's proved @ Heath, Ballard, Lone Oak, & now McCracken. Think about the #'s, & the state titles hed have with PT. Nothing against Rogers, hes a great coach as well, & will get the #'s & titles of his own @ PT. But just think about PT with Jack @ the helm. Hed have basicly the team he has now @ McCracken playing 3A.

Originally posted by STEADY-ROCKIN87:
Just imagine if PT would've hired Jack back in 04. What he's proved @ Heath, Ballard, Lone Oak, & now McCracken. Think about the #'s, & the state titles hed have with PT. Nothing against Rogers, hes a great coach as well, & will get the #'s & titles of his own @ PT. But just think about PT with Jack @ the helm. Hed have basicly the team he has now @ McCracken playing 3A.
-----Will admit I am a little slow when it comes to football but do not follow your logic. He won zero state titles at those schools with great athletes who set all kinds of scoring records, ect. His chances of titles at McCracken are slim, probably out in first round this year. Yes, he has won games at those schools, running up the score on less talented teams, ect. but I don't know if he would have been a difference maker at Tilghman. Those in charge at the time didn't think so. They have done pretty good w/o him-----

Originally posted by WhiteEagle:
Originally posted by STEADY-ROCKIN87:
-----Will admit I am a little slow when it comes to football but do not follow your logic. He won zero state titles at those schools with great athletes who set all kinds of scoring records, ect. His chances of titles at McCracken are slim, probably out in first round this year. Yes, he has won games at those schools, running up the score on less talented teams, ect. but I don't know if he would have been a difference maker at Tilghman. Those in charge at the time didn't think so. They have done pretty good w/o him-----
I was thinking the same thing WhiteEagle. When you coach as long as he has, you gotta win a championship. I think, if he stays at McCracken County, he will probably win one someday. The Louisville teams have off years every now and then. You never know.

Okay let's begin with his tenure @Heath; in just 5 seasons there starting from scratch, he beat Mayfield went onto state losing to Ludlow 7-6. In 15 yrs @ Heath he went 105-40-1. An average of 7-3.
@Ballard he had a 37-21 record in 5 seasons. Going 11-2 in 2001 both losses to Mayfield.
@Lone Oak taking over where they had like 1 playoff win in school history, in 9 seasons 83-28...an average of 9-3, 2 state appearances.
Given he has the monkey on his shoulder when it comes to state, & beating Mayfield, but you cant honestly say with whatt he's accomplished at these other schools he wouldnt have been more successful @ PT. It's the weakest class in the state, with that being said, his athletes @ McCracken would be where Jack was at.
This is all "what ifs" but you cant ignore what the man has accomplished with the programs he built.

-----Steady, your points are well taken but being a football novice, I can only go by what the facts are. For whatever the reasons were, he was passed over all those years by Tilghman. Yes, Tilghman could have hired him instead of Perry and Randy but they did not. Evidently those in charge felt he was not a good fit for Tilghman or whatever. Has he had much luck against Tilghman? He never beat Randy, even at McCracken. The whole basis of your original post lead up the premise that Tilghman would have been better off over the years had they hire Orville. Again, as a non football expert, I say NO-----

The way you make it sound is that Randy was a better coach??? He beat Jack 3 times. Thats not much, considering the athletes Randy had @ PT. You're saying that if Randy would've been the coach this year that he wouldn't have beaten him? These are all just opinions, when PT hired Randy it was done by favoritism, there weren't any interviews done outside the Tilghman program. It was handed to Randy, because of his relationship with the school. Nothing against Randy, I've known him since high school, but he wasnt head coach material. He was a great athlete @ PT, & would've been a great position coach, but he was not the right coach to lead PT. Yes his resume has a state title, but everyone knows who the real coach was that season. In my personal opinion, theres no way Randy could build a program from ground up the way Jack has. Randy couldn't even maintain let alone improve the once dominant program of PT.

-----Ok, I concede, don't know enough about the situation to argue. I will just leave it with this: Orville, Orville, he's the man, if he can't do it nobody can. Have a great evening
smile.r191677.gif
-----

3A is just very weak out west so it is really hard to say how much better Tilghman is now, as opposed to the start of the season. I think the penalties and mistakes have been have been cut back and it appears Jesse has a little better blocking and a little more time to throw, but he also has hastened his release.

Tilghman I thought played its best game against Graves and if there was a point where things started to turn around, you can look back on that game. I do not see them tested in the playoffs until South Warren. Not to say they could not lose before then, but they should not, based on how they are playing.

From what I've seen Tilghman has improved more each game. They are much better than the team that played McCracken back in August. I don't know if they could beat McCracken if they played again but it would definitely be a closer game. I think it'd be safe to say they make it to the Central game this year.

-----I too think they make it to the semi final game but not sure it will be Central. The regional final with South Warren will not be a gimmie but Tilghman's schedule will benefit them in this game. The Spartans have played a very weak schedule and I think that will hurt them in the playoffs. Their toughest game is probably this week against Russellville at home. Tilghman wins the South Warren game and the score will be nothing like the baseball score last year, 8-7. Do not be surprised if the Tilghman bus rolls into BG this year-----

ADVERTISEMENT