ADVERTISEMENT

The McCallie School, TN 21 Bowling Green 20 FINAL

roundballking

KP Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2002
Bowling Green's winning streak ends at 48. McCallie scored the go-ahead touchdown with 24 seconds left in the game.

Congrats to BG on a fantastic run that won't be matched by another KY team for some time.

It was another great game by both teams. The McCallie team, coaches, and fans are first class. I look for this contract to be renewed. A bad snap cost us as extra point. A blocked field goal cost us a touchdown. The inability to score in the 2nd half cost us the ballgame. Purples Jungle "D" kept us in the game all night. I don't have the offensive stats, but i'm pretty sure the Purples outgained McCallie by a lot. The offense just couldn't get it done in the 2nd half and most of that was due to a very big and very fast McCallie defense. The officiating was terrible for both teams. Purples had trouble running the hurry up offense all night. Refs didn't know what they were doing. It was probably worse for McCallie. Bad calls didn't cost Bowling Green the game. After 48 wins in a row, their luck just ran out. McCallie was the better team tonight and they deserved to win. I'm really proud of this program and all the coaches and players that make it one of the best in the state. Now, they can concentrate on the big prize, a 4th straight 5A championship. I like our chances.

I think even Trinity fans were rooting for Bowling Green tonight. Even though their record streak was in jeopardy, we all share our hatred for everything Tennessee football.
smile.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Walter F-ing White:

ec

Now this could get interesting...... AP care to comment?
I already commented. Were you expecting me to explode in rage at your wasted first and second posts. My team lost. After winning 48 games in a row, how can I be upset when they lose a single game. I'm a Purple Fan and a fan of the game. It was a great ballgame and my team had a chance to win. That's about all I can ask for.

It would have been nice to break the Trinity record but a "streak" whether a winning or losing streak eventually becomes a weight. The streak becomes the focus and becomes a distraction. The streak is not over. It has just ended. It will live on as the greatest period in BGHS football.

There are other things to accomplish and other goals to achieve. The most important being those that present themselves after football.

Think about this. Friday night Russellville will celebrate a football event that occurred 75 years ago. How long will the "Streak" be celebrated and remembered?

I agree with Macdon.

Yes, the "Streak" is over, and it will hurt for a while. And while it would have been nice to see a public school take the record, it didn't happen. But, such is life. The Purples live to fight another day and they should be proud of what they have accomplished. It was truly amazing to watch them play in some these games over the past few years. The "Streak" is over, but the impact it had on the BG Football will live on through the future classes at BGHS. What an amazing group of teams that played at BG from 2011-2013. Be proud of what you've accomplished because everyone in BG (even a old Gator fan) is proud of you.

My hat is off to you, Purples.

Yes, Blackman. They are even better this year, so BG's record would have probably ended this year anyways if they had played as originally scheduled.

McCallie would not beat Blackman this year.

I would love to know your definition of "horrible officiating". Please explain further. Because in my experience, if you put enough points on the board, the refs can give you 300 yards in penalties and it wouldn't matter. The refs didn't lose that game for The Blaze. They lost it for themselves. Who can they blame for BG marching down the field and scoring in the final seconds on their "SEC" safety? The refs? There were no penalties on that drive. So who's to blame?

Don't bring up unrelated games.

Especially when you don't know what you're talking about.

Originally posted by boomerherndon:

If not for extremely awful officiating, a public school from TN would have taken the record last year.
Those mean old referees! We require a little more self control in our football players in the great state of Kentucky. We don't care what those heathens down in Tennessee do, but when you come to Kentucky, you have to play by the rules. They didn't and that's one of the reasons they lost. I absolutely love it that so many of their fans can't get over it. Let's face it. Blackman just wasn't that good last year. I hear they are pretty good this year, but we have heard that before. We may have kept them on the schedule, if they hadn't acted like they were playing football on a prison yard instead of a school yard. I've been watching high school football for more years than most have been alive and Blackman was the most undisiplened team I've ever seen. They got what they deserved.

Really looking forward to the 75th anniversary of Rhea Stadium. One of the icons of KY High School football.

Originally posted by macdon:
Really looking forward to the 75th anniversary of Rhea Stadium. One of the icons of KY High School football.
-----No doubt an icon. I have seen several games at Rhea over the years and still stop and read the 6 stone faces at the entrance way. On one occasion several years ago I was traveling through Russellville with a couple of friends who were not aware of the history of Rhea and I pulled off on one of the side streets and we walked up the hill and I showed them what I was talking about. They were not even aware of the WPA or Paavo Nurmi but did know the other 5 faces. Being from the area, I am well aware that your Dad was the Coach at Russellville when the stadium opened. It should be a great cerebration. Good luck to F-S in the game-----

McCallie beat the 1 ranked team in Tennessee (Ensworth) last night by 35! That says something about how good BG played last week.

Originally posted by Touchdown...Jesus:
McCallie beat the 1 ranked team in Tennessee (Ensworth) last night by 35! That says something about how good BG played last week.
This game was an eye opener. It says a lot about level of play up here in the great state of Kentucky. McCallie's coach must have thrown a ton of flags against Ensworth. How else could they have won?

ADVERTISEMENT