ADVERTISEMENT

2016 KYMSFA State Championship

Wildcat_18

KP Junior
Sep 16, 2014
In trying to build up this site a little more and peak some conversation, I thought I would throw out a preview of the middle school football championships finishing up the next two weekends.

8th Grade Division 1 - Northern Pulaski looks to be the favorite as they are the defending 7th grade state champion. They play Knox County this weekend in what many think will be the state championship game played early. Northern beat them 32-20 earlier in the regular season, but that game was closer than the score indicated. Should be a battle this Saturday in Belfry. I look for the winner to win the state championship. I'll predict Newburg (Louisville), Crosby (Louisville), & Bowling Green to advance to the final 4 next weekend.

8th Grade Division 2 - I've heard good things from Belfry, Lexington Catholic, & TK Stone (Hardin County) all year. LexCath beat Belfry in a close one this regular season, but I look for that score to flip-flop in the playoffs. At this level, Belfry has the playoff experience that LexCath isn't really used to. I will take Belfry to win this division. I expect to see Hopkinsville & TK Stone in the Final 4 with those two.

8th Grade Division 3 - This is a two horse race between New Harlan (Harlan County) & Meece (Somerset). New Harlan has one of the best defensive lines I have ever seen at this level. If Meece can find a way around it, I think they win this division. If not, the Patriots take it. I think Meece does just enough to get the job done. I'll take Glasgow, Owensboro Catholic, & CAL to round out the Final 4.

7th Grade (only 1 division) - It's hard to predict this division because you don't see or hear much about this level. Region 4 usually produces the best teams for the most part. Northern Pulaski and Corbin are the two representatives left in this region. Northern beat them 38-6 in the regular season, but I expect Corbin to be very much improved. This will be a ball game, winner likely to win the championship. I'll predict Newburg, Glasgow, & South Warren to round out the Final 4.

8th Grade Division 1 - Knox County upset Northern Pulaski 14-12 in Region 4. They'll play Newburg in the Final 4 opposite of the Bowling Green/Crosby match-up. Barring another upset, Knox should win it.

8th Grade Division 2 - Final 4: Hopkinsville/TK Stone & Belfry/Lexington Catholic. I'm sticking to my Belfry prediction.

8th Grade Division 3 - Final 4: CAL/New Harlan & Glasgow/Owensboro Catholic. New Harlan is the real deal. I'll be absolutely shocked if they don't finish it.

7th Grade (only 1 division) - Final 4: Glasgow/South Warren & Northern Pulaski/Newburg. Northern Pulaski probably has the best team, but Newburg probably has the best overall player. Either one can win you games at this level.

Shout-out to Newburg and Glasgow for having teams representing in both grades in the Final 4. That's a great accomplishment. No team has ever won both in the same year. However, I still believe it is doubtful we see it this year.

I've not seen any of these teams play, but I did hear from a few guy's at the high school game say the Glasgow 7th grade team would probably have a little better chance to win than the 8th grade team , but either way this success can only help the high school team which is really going to be solid for several years to come. Go Scotties, and by the way that varsity team has it all ,size, speed and depth, the kicking game may be their downfall.

I would agree that 7th is easier to win than 8th. Teams mature significantly during that year difference more than any other year in my opinion. It takes 2 or 3 good consecutive classes to really see the effects of it in high school. Glasgow has that right now.

This was probably the craziest KYMSFA playoff I've seen. I believe all 8th grade champions won their 1st title for their schools. Upsets everywhere. D3 & 7th went about as expected.

State Championship Finals

D1 - Newburg beat Bowling Green in OT.

D2 - TK Stone beat Lexington Catholic.

D3 - New Harlan beat Owensboro Catholic.

7th - Northern Pulaski beat South Warren.

ADVERTISEMENT