ADVERTISEMENT

St. X-Bowling Green

I was really impressed with Bowling Green last Friday against Lex. Cath. That game was a lot closer than the score indicates. The Purples defense was really impressive and the new QB look good. He should get better as the season goes on and he gets more experience. I was pleased with his performance.

I watched St. X. last week before Bowling Green's game and I'll say one thing they are big. They have some big guys up front. Bowling Green had a long, hot battle last week. I believe there were several guys beat up and maybe a couple of injuries. Not sure what type of impact that will have. I like the fact the rain is likely to hold off until Saturday. I think a dry field is in BG's favor.

There is no shortage of good running backs for Bowling Green. Looks like they have several that can play. The Purples also have pair of ball catchers in #1 and # 84 Wallace. Wallace looked like that kid could catch anything if you get it close to him. #1 has got some height and got some confidence last week. He was even calling for the football at times, I like that.

I am concerned St. X. could wear down BG in the second half. The Tigers are really big up front and will pound on the defense all night. I'm not real familiar with Bowling Green's depth, but it would help if BG could rotate some guys. I'd be happy if BG could jump out early.

I put BG the favorite here, but St. X is still tough.

BG is one of the true platoon teams in the state. That being said St X is also. Kind of a push but it looks like X has better depth.

No doubt that St. X is very big upfront and has some depth. They always do. The Purples have managed to beat St. X three straight years with as good or better than this current crop of monsters. I think Bowling Green's team speed is what won those games And I think they will win this one at home. Our linemen are not too shabby, by the way!

Not saying this St. Xavier team is bad by any means. But in comparison this might be the worst Tiger team in some time with where the talent bar sits at this time.

They could finish last in the district for the first time EVER and if they do there will probably be a lost to Manual on their resume. That would be the first time X lost to the Crimsons since '93.

A lot of alumni aren't happy with the direction of the program and it's only Wolford's second year at the helm. YIKES!!

There might be some trouble on Poplar Level, folks.

I think you'll find that the trouble on Poplar Level, as you describe it, is overstated. Where are you getting the reports of dismay? The Tigers are 2-0. Coach Wolford, to his credit, realized he didn't have an experienced, cohesive staff. He fixed that. They have apparently been much better defensively this year with a (one half) shutout against a Ballard team that scored over 30 last week, and holding a pretty potent Bryan Station offense to 13. If you want to speculate or try to stir the pot, the Tigers could also win the district, beat Manual again, and make the alumni happy. Time will tell. A win at Bowling Green tonight would be a nice place to start. A tall order I know because BG is an outstanding program that's really tough at home. I think you're throwing dirt on the grave prematurely.

Originally posted by listen&learn:

I think you'll find that the trouble on Poplar Level, as you describe it, is overstated. Where are you getting the reports of dismay? The Tigers are 2-0. Coach Wolford, to his credit, realized he didn't have an experienced, cohesive staff. He fixed that. They have apparently been much better defensively this year with a (one half) shutout against a Ballard team that scored over 30 last week, and holding a pretty potent Bryan Station offense to 13. If you want to speculate or try to stir the pot, the Tigers could also win the district, beat Manual again, and make the alumni happy. Time will tell. A win at Bowling Green tonight would be a nice place to start. A tall order I know because BG is an outstanding program that's really tough at home. I think you're throwing dirt on the grave prematurely.
A win tonight will calm the masses. I'm not sure I've seen a undefeated football team as scrutinized as this one by former players. It's not wins or losses they're complaining about, yet. It's the product and talent on the field.

I'm curious...have you seen St. X play? Are the Trinity former players disgruntled because they're 6-8 in their last 14 games? Both of these programs have high expectations. I'm sure the X followers you refer to are former Glaser guys. No one could live up to him in their eyes. Probably some of the same people grumbled about Glaser's offense & thought it was time for a change. They're like wives...never satisfied! Before spreading rumors of Coach Wolford's situation, how about we play a few more games? I don't know if Wolford is the right man for the job or not. I just feel like you're trying to create more drama than necessary.

I'm curious...have you seen St. X play? Are the Trinity former players disgruntled because they're 6-8 in their last 14 games? Both of these programs have high expectations. I'm sure the X followers you refer to are former Glaser guys. No one could live up to him in their eyes. Probably some of the same people grumbled about Glaser's offense & thought it was time for a change. They're like wives...never satisfied! Before spreading rumors of Coach Wolford's situation, how about we play a few more games? I don't know if Wolford is the right man for the job or not. I just feel like you're trying to create more drama than necessary.
Hah man I'm a journalist. We live for this stuff. And yeah I have seen this St.X team in a game (against Ballard before it was called) and practice. And like I said they're not a bad team but in standards of the green and gold they're not held in high regard.

You're right guys who played for Glaser will never see past him. And that may very well be the issue.

Plenty of Trinity alums are frustrated, but it's hard to call a code red with Beatty's run up until last year. (Go look at that thread as well I've called Trinity's number too)

Also there's no rumors here just fact here. People are uneasy with the way things are at St. X right now. I'm just the one putting it out there because this is a message board were this kind of conversation goes down. If St. X turns the tide I'll be the first one on here saying "Look at Wolford now"

You can't hide the fact that talent from the city no longer is piling up to enroll at St. X or Trinity. And I believe that's the underlying issue here. Since the middle schools started getting teams Manual and Male are getting all the best middle schoolers around.

I think we're on the same page for the most part. I don't think this is anything new for St. X, though; their status had begun to slip under Coach Glaser. Wolford has been charged with regenerating some of the pride & tradition. That won't happen without bumps & slips. My main point is let's let him have a little time to put his program together before we start implying his demise. The only thing we disagree on is Manual & Male getting all the middle school kids. I think Trinity's roster would belie that statement.

I think we're on the same page for the most part. I don't think this is anything new for St. X, though; their status had begun to slip under Coach Glaser. Wolford has been charged with regenerating some of the pride & tradition. That won't happen without bumps & slips. My main point is let's let him have a little time to put his program together before we start implying his demise. The only thing we disagree on is Manual & Male getting all the middle school kids. I think Trinity's roster would belie that statement.
You're probably right St. X lost some of it allure when Trinity won three straight titles before last year.

Wolford is a former NFL player and head coach of one of the best high school programs in the state. I think he should be able to handle some criticism. Especially because last year's roster was fully capable of going undefeated and winning state. Then there was the Nagle ordeal. And most of all play calls crumbled that team. I think all that he's hearing right now is rightfully directed.

Not this year's Trinity freshmen. Last year's, yeah. Until some of them left or was asked not to come back -- not by the football program, by the school. Male and Manual have more "true" D-I prospects than X and Trinity right now.

I'm not saying Wolford shouldn't be able to handle criticism. I think the fact he overhauled his staff shows he's not above listening to and acting on criticism. I also agree that last year's roster was loaded and could have gone undefeated...under Mike Glaser. That team was tailor made for his style. Wolford's charge last year was to inject some life & excitement, especially on offense. The team he inherited was not equipped to run a pro style offense. My feeling is Coach Wolford misjudged what it takes to run a program like St. X. I believe he sort of mailed it in last season. He went out & hired experienced, knowledgeable coaches in the offseason. We'll see how it shakes out. I guess we sort of agree on the middle school thing. Up until this year, Trinity's roster was full of JCPS middle school kids, so Male & Manual haven't been getting all of them.

Purples win 6-0 in overtime. St. X played a hell of a game. Could have gone either way. Classy group of players and fans. Bad clock management and the kicking game doomed the Tigers.

Originally posted by tommy2tone:

This must have been one heck of a football game.
It was the kind of game that makes old guys like me feel alive. I've been lucky to witness several of these over the last few years. Our fans are not known for their manners, but they got up and gave St. X a hand as they left the field.

This post was edited on 9/8 11:52 AM by Adopted Purple

ADVERTISEMENT