ADVERTISEMENT

Owensboro Catholic @ South Spencer

thelizardking1

KP All-Pro
Dec 5, 2012
Can the Aces go into Reo and get the W? Last year the Rebels got the best of OC - can they do it again this year? I believe South Spencer is 2 - 0 not 100% certain of that though. I say either way it goes this will be a tough game for Catholic. Every year this game is close. I know Catholic is going to be missing one of their better players this game - the name escapes me at the moment but that could prove to be costly. I am not sure who to pick in this one. I could see it going either way.

This post was edited on 9/9 1:30 PM by thelizardking1

I look forward to the Catholic and Hancock games every year, too bad ill be working next weekend and cant attend the game @ Steele Stadium
ohwell.r191677.gif

Originally posted by subsonic66:
I look forward to the Catholic and Hancock games every year, too bad ill be working next weekend and cant attend the game @ Steele Stadium
ohwell.r191677.gif
That will be a good game as well. I wouldn't be surprised none the slightest if Hancock pulls the "upset". If South Spencer and Hancock beat OC that would make them 2 -3 and make for some very mad parishioners! I don't see them losing both games but I could see them losing 1 of 2.

I think south spencer is 1-2. They got beat by north posey 24-7 and gibson southern 58-0. Their only win looks like a 42-20 win over tell city. It's always a good game no matter anyone's record.

Originally posted by Green Nation2:
I think south spencer is 1-2. They got beat by north posey 24-7 and gibson southern 58-0. Their only win looks like a 42-20 win over tell city. It's always a good game no matter anyone's record.
I meant to say 2 - 1 I though SS was 2 - 1 I guess not. Oh well - Gibson Southern is very tough and have been for several years. Tell city is usually pretty terrible and I don't know about N. Posey. I agree this one should be a good one no matter what record. You know SS will be hungry only winning 1 ball game so far and the same could be said for OC coming off the loss to OHS.

Green Nation, who was the name of the player who was kicked out of the game against OHS? Skill player I believe and a starter - pretty good player too. Right?

This post was edited on 9/9 2:11 PM by thelizardking1

I look for OCath to rebound on Friday night. South Spencer had a running back that ran for a ton of yards last year, and OCath will be looking to shore up their run defense. The Aces are still one of if not the most potent offensive teams you'll see, so I think the Aces win this game with relative ease. I know OCath will throw up a ton of points but I think John Edge will be looking for his defense to step up and keep the Rebels out of the end zone.

devil.r191677.gif

Last year the Rebels came to Steele and beat the Aces in every facet of the game. However, the Aces were without a handful of starters, which makes a difference for teams like OC, McLean, Hancock, etc who have a lot of their kids play both sides of the ball. Anytime you lose a veteran player on your roster such as the player ejected in last weeks game it can be a difference maker, but in this instance and, it just being one kid as opposed to several injured players, I look for the Aces to have a seamless transition. There have been plenty of kids to step up such as the McCormack kid playing WR and Zach Haynes taking over DB responsibilities. Both of those kids have made an impact on their side of the ball in this early part of the season. Like a previous poster said, the Aces have plenty of weapons for a 2A school. Now can they stop the run? I think they will do enough defensively in that department to be able to take a break and let the offense take the field. That being said OC is hungry and will look to take some revenge on the Rebels. I do see this being a great match-up for both teams but the Aces will pull away late and win by a couple of touchdowns.

Last year we were without Reed and another LB as well that S. Spencer was able to run all over us. Normally the road team wins this rivalry.

Aces need to run the ball more 24 carries between the 2 running backs for 212 yards thats almost 10 yards a carry. Passing 109 times needs to be balanced if they are going to make a deep run in the playoffs

Originally posted by Bleedblue1032:
Aces need to run the ball more 24 carries between the 2 running backs for 212 yards thats almost 10 yards a carry. Passing 109 times needs to be balanced if they are going to make a deep run in the playoffs
Have you seen them run? Their OL weighs about 170lbs.

On the KHSAA website it has 44 carries for 197. That's not 10 yards a carry.

This is why I like watching the spread. You get the ball to a bunch of people. Not 1 or 2 players.
Catholic has had 6 people run the ball and 12 people catch a pass. They also have 3 kids throw the football.
This post was edited on 9/10 10:45 AM by Green Nation2

2 years ago they had a nice mix of run/pass yes I know they had a bigger line but this year they seem to have abandoned the run for no reason even when the game was a blowout in the first 2 they still passed.

They ran more later in the those 2 blowouts. That's when their RB's get their yards when the D is tired.

I won't give a prediction, but I think South Spencer is in for a long night. OCHS will be angry and looking to show that they're better than last week. If Gibson Southern can roll SS, then OCath will do much of the same.

devil.r191677.gif

Everyone knows this one is always close. You know South Spencer has the OHS tape and will know exactly what to do to exploit OC. My gut is telling me Catholic struggles in this one. I will wait for my HOMERS blog post to make my prediction, but I don't think this game will come easy to OC. Sorry Devils58 we disagree on this one - I don't think you realize how good Gibson Southern is. They could beat most anybody on this side of the bluegrass state.

There are few teams in WKY that could hang with Gibson Southern! Southern Indiana as a whole is much better than wky!

I don't know if I agree with that or not. Gibson Southern don't face teams with quality athletes or great team speed. I think Nick Hart has done an amazing job at GS. Shoot, I'd love to see what he could do with OHS' athletes. There are some good S. Indiana teams like GS, Jasper, Mater Dei, Castle and Reitz. Outside of those 4 though, it's really not too impressive. I think it's more a perception thing. I remember a few years back when Daviess County almost beat Reitz. Am I saying that DC is as good as Reitz. No, but S. Indiana and WKy football are pretty even in my book. I think the S. Indiana teams typically have more size (German population) but the WKy teams almost always have more team speed (African American population).

As for Gibson Southern, I think OHS, OCath, Hendo would beat them for sure. Reitz, Jasper,Castle, and Mater Dei would be interesting matchups for those teams. It would be nice to have a rotating Border Bowl between Evansville and Owensboro. One year it could be at the Reitz Bowl ,and Central Stadium and the next year it could be at Rash and Steele. Those Border Bowl games were really fun to watch, and KY MORE than held their own. In fact, KY may have won more games in the Border Bowl those few years. I'd have to go check it out.

devil.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Devils58:
I don't know if I agree with that or not. Gibson Southern don't face teams with quality athletes or great team speed. I think Nick Hart has done an amazing job at GS. Shoot, I'd love to see what he could do with OHS' athletes. There are some good S. Indiana teams like GS, Jasper, Mater Dei, Castle and Reitz. Outside of those 4 though, it's really not too impressive. I think it's more a perception thing. I remember a few years back when Daviess County almost beat Reitz. Am I saying that DC is as good as Reitz. No, but S. Indiana and WKy football are pretty even in my book. I think the S. Indiana teams typically have more size (German population) but the WKy teams almost always have more team speed (African American population).

As for Gibson Southern, I think OHS, OCath, Hendo would beat them for sure. Reitz, Jasper,Castle, and Mater Dei would be interesting matchups for those teams. It would be nice to have a rotating Border Bowl between Evansville and Owensboro. One year it could be at the Reitz Bowl ,and Central Stadium and the next year it could be at Rash and Steele. Those Border Bowl games were really fun to watch, and KY MORE than held their own. In fact, KY may have won more games in the Border Bowl those few years. I'd have to go check it out.

devil.r191677.gif
More years than not Perry Central is decent and could hang with teams the same size, southridge is in the same category. North, Memorial, central, Harrison and bosse could hang with alot of wky teams, and heritage hills is really good too, and Forrest Park has some good years

Most years southern indiana, especially from spencer co. to Evansville are better than the majority of wky teams. The top teams would have good match ups... But the middle and lower tiers would be dominated by indiana. Henderson, o'boro, McCracken, mayfield, tilgman, would be competitive.... Others not so much. Maybe catholic on their good years.

ADVERTISEMENT