ADVERTISEMENT

Gibson Southern, IN smothers Henderson County 56-7

2digdeeper

KP Rookie
Apr 14, 2014
Gibson Southern is the 2nd ranked team in Indiana's Class 3A. Henderson County is one of the largest high schools in Kentucky's Class 6A. Henderson County won the coin toss and elected to defer to the 2nd half. Bad mistake against Gibson Southern which came into the game averaging 63 points a game and outscoring its opponents 189-7 in its first three games. YES, averaging 63 points a game in football!!!! Gibson Southern scored at will against Henderson County's defense which looked lost. Gibson Southern's defense is just as good, if not better than, as its offense. The Titans defense smothered Henderson County's offense like a blanket. The Titans forced 4 Henderson County turnovers and scored off all of them. In all honesty, Henderson County looked like a bad junior varsity team against Gibson Southern. It was 49-0 at the half.Gibson Southern had 316 total yards in the 1st half compared to only 56 total yards for Henderson County. It was 56-0 before Henderson County scored with 5 minutes remaining in the game under the running clock mercy rule. IF there was not a running clock, Gibson Southern could have scored 70 or more points against Henderson County.

-----Another ugly game in my neck of the woods. This was a massacre along the lines of the Little Big Horn. Running clock middle of the 2nd and rest of the game. Hendo star running back, 36 yards on 13 carries, 30 of those on one carry. Even the best have to have a little crease to spring them. Given up 174 points in 4 games. Lost their D coach last year. Deer in the headlights look on the sideline. Caldwell, class 3A coming to town next week. Won't be easy. Good luck rest of year. District not as easy as first appeared, still should go 2-2 at best-----

Indiana football overall....... classes 1-5 is much better than Kentucky. However, that is brutal.

I don't know what has happened to Henderson Co football. One of the largest schools in the state. Plenty of athletes walking those halls. Don't know what the issues are. But something needs to change.

-----Another ugly game in my neck of the woods. This was a massacre along the lines of the Little Big Horn. Running clock middle of the 2nd and rest of the game. Hendo star running back, 36 yards on 13 carries, 30 of those on one carry. Even the best have to have a little crease to spring them. Given up 174 points in 4 games. Lost their D coach last year. Deer in the headlights look on the sideline. Caldwell, class 3A coming to town next week. Won't be easy. Good luck rest of year. District not as easy as first appeared, still should go 2-2 at best-----
White Eagle you seem to be very knowledgeable about things going on in 2nd region in all sports. In your opinion would you say that maybe the talent level is down in FB at Henderson? In your opinion would you say that the administration that brought the FB coach in and the BB coach in is somewhat to blame? The talent in BB will be down as well after losing a VERY talented group. Wasn't there a bumping of the heads when Coach Clevenger was there over a poor decision the administration made when the Colonels played Bowling Green and they cancelled the game after halftime? We all know in this area why the Principal brought in BB coach, I'm sure after last year it was a BIG disappointment they didn't win the 2nd region. Maybe it's time to get the right administration that cares

-----The only knowledge I have is what I read on the sports pages and hear on the sports shows. I think the talent level might be down but there just seems not to be as much interest as in the past. The roster numbers are about the same over the past few years. Anytime there is a coaching change you have those who think the choices are bad. Coach Lewis came with a great background with state championships and those in charge were overjoyed. Coach Smithhart came with no head coaching experience and those in charge felt the same way. Clevenger came in after the Duffy's, struggled his first year which was expected, went to the playoffs every year after that, and won 9 games each of his last 4 years but for various reasons didn't satisfy everyone so he left. Many felt Josh Boston should have been hired instead of Lewis. Most know the circumstances of the Smithhart hire and many believe Mark Starns got a raw deal. Man won 70% of his games, went to Fleming County and won back to back regional championships. For sure it was a major disappointment how the basketball season ended. It will be a while before that much talent comes along again. I have no knowledge of the cancelled BG game after the half except that it was due to the weather and both wanted to keep playing. There was a lot of talk the year before when many thought the Purps ran up the score in the 55-7 thrashing but most of the scoring in the 2nd half was by the subs and you can't tell the kids not to score, silly. Those Purple teams were loaded. This could be a very bad year for the Colonels. Caldwell comes this weekend and will be a tough out. Actually I think they win only 2 maybe 3 games the rest of the year and Caldwell won't be one of them-----

ADVERTISEMENT