ADVERTISEMENT

what happenned to this board?

barnabus_c2001

KP Hall of Fame
Oct 29, 2004
This board used to be lively wirh chatter but where is it now dont see many Mayfield people or graves people or Mcraken county folks seems its just dead on this board anymore so sad used to be great.

I don't know, This was the first one I visited, there is a couple of more high school boards with a lot of people, seems like mostly eastern and central Ky fans are on those, they are all good boards, not sure why this one has had a decline in people.

Used to be able to come on here and have a good discussion about any and all teams, although it seemed heavily about western teams. It seemed to be a great board where the discussions stayed light-hearted and most had a good sense of humor.
Nowadays, it seems that all you get is whizzing matches from people who just enjoy trolling- which do not appeal to people who are trying to have a good discussion.

And although I post elsewhere I wish it would revive-

Used to be able to come on here and have a good discussion about any and all teams, although it seemed heavily about western teams. It seemed to be a great board where the discussions stayed light-hearted and most had a good sense of humor.
Nowadays, it seems that all you get is whizzing matches from people who just enjoy trolling- which do not appeal to people who are trying to have a good discussion.

And although I post elsewhere I wish it would revive-

I joined this board around a decade ago under a different screen name (I can't even remember what it was...) in my later high school years to follow local sports. Worked at the time and was alive. I have been on other successful message boards, but it seems like the statement in bold above is true. They're quickly spiraling downward in my opinion. I'm not interested in seeing all the nonsense that comes with other boards when I'm simply checking scores, rankings, or trying to have a nice high school football discussion. That's what sparked me to try this one again and try to revive it a bit.

I have been on this board for several years. Yes it has gone downhill big time and even tho I visit other sites, I still come back to this one to see what is going on....

Warren East has fallen on tough times, ACS has had a tough row to hoe the last few years and as a result their supporters, who were quite vocal, have drifted away.
The Mayfield bunch thinks the grass is "Bluer" elsewhere.

Maybe there will come a day when that other place becomes as Yogi said: "It's too crowded, nobody goes there anymore."

When Lone Oak got absorbed this board lost a lot of posters.

It's really too bad about that consolidation. Lone Oak was a competitor in 4A but McCracken will be just another target for the big boys.

When Lone Oak got absorbed this board lost a lot of posters.

It's really too bad about that consolidation. Lone Oak was a competitor in 4A but McCracken will be just another target for the big boys.

-----McCracken is still top team in this very weak district and weak region. They have a fairly easy path to the semi's this year. Since they will play first game against one of their own district foes in the playoffs make their path even easier. With the trouble in Henderson, this district belongs to McCracken for a few years-----

McCracken County should have what it takes to compete year in and year out. The facilities are second to none. Got to build it from the feeder up. Notoriously, Lone Oak had a good feeder program. Since consolidation, I haven't seen much of McCracken at that level and that's where it starts whether we want to admit it or not.

We also used to have some first-classed crazy people here who used to keep the discussions lively.
ACSWear, The Crazy Dr., and of course, the venerable- VERY MAD COUGAR

Also, we used to have several regular posters who brought great conversations to the board. And whether you agreed with them or not, they kept the discussion going.

Call out to:

Livinloca
GroveTaxMan
Adopted Purple
Raider1
The people connected to all 15 Owensboro teams wo thought they had the best team.
Broadcaster240
The John Hardin People
Bigblackjack
WERaider
Lillycreek
Rock3
Farmy
redleg13
The dozens of Mayfield faithful

And Maaannnyyy more.......

Post in, are you still alive and kicking?

-----I know it's incidental but the Cougar left the forum at about the same time his main man, Coach Dain Gregory, left Logan County-----

-----And where is Lester always talking about his main man, Coach Barnes of Caldwell? ;):)-----

Pat Pride checking in from ACS. Pats are up and down. More down lately but there is a group of kids coming up who are Freshmen that in this humble posters opinion will be the best class to ever come through ACS. Big win over east last week.

I gave up on this board last year, it had become a desert and apparently I was not alone as it seems to have gotten worse. Just not many folks to talk with here anymore and you have posters trying to sale stuff which is a turnoff for me

Lack of mods that pay attention. I used to delete those ads as soon as I saw them.

I'm about to jump off the edge unless something drastic happens on Morgantown Road. Dragonfire is right there with me.

From watching Warren Central play JH this year it boggles my mind how they are losing games. Very talented. Matched JH's athletes and were possibly even more athletic.

WC dressing 32-35 players is a result of program turmoil. The Cat you had out there last year was a joke from day one. If you're looking for a culprit start there and then jump to the one that hired him.

Coach Stephens will right the ship at WC. Give him time, he knows what it takes. A former Pulaski County Maroon.

WC dressing 32-35 players is a result of program turmoil. The Cat you had out there last year was a joke from day one. If you're looking for a culprit start there and then jump to the one that hired him.

-----Where did Feggins go?-----

Coach Stephens will right the ship at WC. Give him time, he knows what it takes. A former Pulaski County Maroon.

You can't make bricks without clay.

That's not a pun. You need bodies to turn it around. They're, uh, not forthcoming.

Stephens wouldn't have taken the job "just to have a job." He wouldn't have accepted that position if he didn't think he could do it. He'll find bodies.

The Warren County BOE did quite a job when they drew up the district for SWHS.

Stephens wouldn't have taken the job "just to have a job." He wouldn't have accepted that position if he didn't think he could do it. He'll find bodies.

Obviously, we all hope that is the case. Moss didn't have enough 8th graders to field a team on its own, so they played up with all the 7th graders, electing to not play a 7th grade schedule. Central didn't have enough players to field a 9th grade team. These troubles have been visible for years. Even in the high tide times of 2012 under Rogers, we saw the cracks at the middle school level. Certainly, the upheaval in the program has done no favors, but there were problems before.

To fix the problems at Central, you have to fix the problems at Moss. And the problems at each are tied in very large part to lack of kids interested in playing the sport. No one factor created that situation, but some loomed larger than others. Suffice it to say, district lines and the lack of enforcement of transfer rules have played a significant role. Individual transfers happen for every school. Moss in particular just bleeds students.

Reactions: Wildcat_18
The Warren County BOE did quite a job when they drew up the district for SWHS.

You'd be hard pressed to say they didn't accomplish every one of their goals. If they could figure out boys basketball there then their victory would be complete.

The posts in this thread sound like KYpreps eulogy - I am afraid it is. Yes this place used to a great place, but that was a time long ago. These days it's like a ghost town *insert tumbleweed*. I do know a lot of the old posters have switched over to bluegrasspreps, but with the heavy northern/eastern KY talk I find it hard to get into, I also find that message board much harder to navigate. I did try that board recently but seemed to be overwhelmed & couldn't find previous threads I made post(s) in - anyhow I digress.

Here's to the good times - I raise my Metamucil to you old gang! Good luck to all teams across the state this football Friday!

Obviously, we all hope that is the case. Moss didn't have enough 8th graders to field a team on its own, so they played up with all the 7th graders, electing to not play a 7th grade schedule. Central didn't have enough players to field a 9th grade team. These troubles have been visible for years. Even in the high tide times of 2012 under Rogers, we saw the cracks at the middle school level. Certainly, the upheaval in the program has done no favors, but there were problems before.

To fix the problems at Central, you have to fix the problems at Moss. And the problems at each are tied in very large part to lack of kids interested in playing the sport. No one factor created that situation, but some loomed larger than others. Suffice it to say, district lines and the lack of enforcement of transfer rules have played a significant role. Individual transfers happen for every school. Moss in particular just bleeds students.

I've said for a long time that high school coaches have to line up their feeder system before all else. That's the #1 priority. The troubles you describe for Moss are familiar to me. I know their coaches about 5 years ago coached an all-star team that one of our kids played on. He hardly ever saw the field because there was a kid bigger than him at his position. He wasn't faster, he wasn't stronger, he wasn't smarter, just bigger. Our kid was a very "football smart" athletic freak to be honest. I say that to say this. In my opinion, the best thing Moss can do would be to stop comparing themselves to Bowling Green. Step outside of that western Kentucky area and play better teams at that level. (I'm speaking specifically on a middle school level.) They will be battle tested when they get to high school and more prepared. At the high school level, they don't have to worry about Bowling Green. Make their own identity. With that said, as an outsider, maybe Coach Stephens should revamp his feeder system a bit.

Dragon, can you explain the whole situation to me? I know Moss typically has good athletes, so are they going to South Warren or Bowling Green? So did the district lines cut into Warren Central's enrollment? Did it take away some of the more athletic kids? I don't have a pulse on the Bowling Green community, so this all kind of confuses me.

I still check in regularly, but find little to contribute. "My" team is struggling; and there aren't many posts about schools in (what the basketball folks call) the 2nd Region.

The posts in this thread sound like KYpreps eulogy - I am afraid it is. Yes this place used to a great place, but that was a time long ago. These days it's like a ghost town *insert tumbleweed*. I do know a lot of the old posters have switched over to bluegrasspreps, but with the heavy northern/eastern KY talk I find it hard to get into, I also find that message board much harder to navigate. I did try that board recently but seemed to be overwhelmed & couldn't find previous threads I made post(s) in - anyhow I digress.

Here's to the good times - I raise my Metamucil to you old gang! Good luck to all teams across the state this football Friday!

This board has always had more Region 1 & 2 tilt. I feel like anything said about the west at BGP best be about BG or SW or it gets ignored.

Reactions: Devils58
I've said for a long time that high school coaches have to line up their feeder system before all else. That's the #1 priority. The troubles you describe for Moss are familiar to me. I know their coaches about 5 years ago coached an all-star team that one of our kids played on. He hardly ever saw the field because there was a kid bigger than him at his position. He wasn't faster, he wasn't stronger, he wasn't smarter, just bigger. Our kid was a very "football smart" athletic freak to be honest. I say that to say this. In my opinion, the best thing Moss can do would be to stop comparing themselves to Bowling Green. Step outside of that western Kentucky area and play better teams at that level. (I'm speaking specifically on a middle school level.) They will be battle tested when they get to high school and more prepared. At the high school level, they don't have to worry about Bowling Green. Make their own identity. With that said, as an outsider, maybe Coach Stephens should revamp his feeder system a bit.

I agree with that somewhat in principle, but not really in practice. Certainly, teams around here need to not wrap themselves up in Bowling Green as much as they do. Way too much emphasis placed on beating BG. It's a great accomplishment, often, but too much is made of both a win and a loss over them. Can't ever let it define your season. But as it pertains to Moss stepping up in competition, if they did that, they would probably have to fold midway through the year from the injuries and defections. They simply just don't have the horses to step up in competition because frankly, the competition they're playing now rolls over them many weeks. I feel like if they stepped up in competition you'd see a lot of what we're seeing on the varsity level this year. Central is 2-5, probably on their way to a 3-7 finish, with a chance at 4-6. They're better than that. They may not be better than, say, 6-4 or 7-3, but with the schedule they had to play, they ran into teams that were simply too talented, too deep, or both. It has demoralized them, and in some cases it has gotten them hurt. With Moss there is no question that something needs to be done, but for roughly 5 years now, no one knows exactly what, and no one knows really if there is anything they can really do to affect change there in the current climate.

Dragon, can you explain the whole situation to me? I know Moss typically has good athletes, so are they going to South Warren or Bowling Green? So did the district lines cut into Warren Central's enrollment? Did it take away some of the more athletic kids? I don't have a pulse on the Bowling Green community, so this all kind of confuses me.

Moss will always have good athletes as will Central, but they don't have depth. There are some standout players on this year's team at Central, but when you only dress around 35 guys and play around 16-17, it's just a lot to ask of them to hold on. It's why I don't think they'll fade in basketball, but the sports that require more, they'll elude them.

The district lines cut into Central's enrollment when South Warren opened, and there were athletes lost, but in terms of raw numbers, that on its own didn't drop them too much. Probably around 100-150 students. However, that was a tipping point in terms of the academic performance of the school. Central hasn't exactly been well thought of in that area since they lost the Greenwood area 25 years ago, but they were still solid enough. The area they lost to South Warren had a lot of high achievers, and without them, the test scores started dropping. And then people started transferring - or lying about where they lived. That's on top of people who were pulling their kids over simply because they wanted them to go to the shiny new school. When you can't keep people at your school for some factors that are out of your control, how can you pull out of it? (Which isn't to say Central hasn't done some things to hurt themselves - they have for sure) On top of ALL of that, the area that Central now has is dirt poor. I mean POOR. The two elementary schools dedicated to feeding the school are the two highest for free and reduced lunch eligible students in the district. Moss and Warren Central are #4 and #5 among all schools in the district in that category. It can be a struggle to get parents that are dedicated to their kids playing sports (the booster clubs are NIGHTMARES). All of the schools I mentioned also represent by far the most diverse populations in the school system. Many of the students that come up through the system did not grow up with (American) football, and don't really care about it.

Ball it all together and you have a huge, huge problem, one that I don't know how you fix. 5 years ago, Warren Central played for a region title in football after winning the district over Bowling Green. They won a baseball region title in 2010. They won a basketball region title in both 2010 & 2011. This was a school that had a lot going for it, and it was swiftly and callously wrecked. It'll take a lot longer to put it back together.

I've said it often on BluegrassPreps when this topic comes up, I could rail about it all day long, so I get decently long-winded about it. There are many of us who are working through the adversity to try to improve things (and I am much lesser than many of those), but man, it is super difficult.

Reactions: Devils58
ADVERTISEMENT