ADVERTISEMENT

Owensboro Catholic vs Murray

Some of the credit goes to Murray's defense for holding Catholic to 9 points. I was very impressed with their physical defensive backs. But most of the credit for Catholic only scoring 9 points goes to Catholic. Miscues and missed opprotunities were the story in this game. Mid way through the 3rd quarter, while Catholic was up only 9-6, it felt like it should have been about 24-6. The Aces made 5 trips inside the Tigers 15 and only came away with 9 points. Turnovers, penalties, dropped balls and just odd mistakes killed Catholic all night. Catholic had its chances, they just didnt get it done.

I thought Catholic could out score anybody in the state 70 to 68. Can't believe only 9 points. Can't turn the ball over in November!

This will probably will hurt some feelings, but playing in one of the weakest districts in state doesn't prepare any team for the playoffs.

Murray paper said Catholic had 247 yds of offense at the half. Wow. Only 9 points to show for it. I said above that the QB couldn't throw a bunch of INTs and expect to win.

from murrayledger.com

Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2014

EDWARD MARLOWE • Lead Sports Writer

Tigers roar from 9-0 deficit, force four turnovers

OWENSBORO, Ky. - Up 13-9 with just under six minutes to play,

the Tiger defense was faced with the huge task of stopping Owensboro Catholic gunslinger Ray Zuberer

and star receiver Jansen Riney from making it into the end zone.

They had hooked up all night, and continued to hook up as Zuberer methodically drove the Aces

to the five-yard line with just over two minutes remaining.

Unfazed, the Murray defense dug deep in the redzone, and after

forcing back-to-back incompletions, linebacker Elijah Sholar picked off Zuberer at the one-yard line and saved the Tigers' season. It was the Aces fourth turnover of the game.

And the most costly.

"I was watching the slot receiver on the right side coming across, and I saw the quarterback follow across

almost every time," Sholar said.

"So I figured I would run

with him, and I just stepped in front of him and picked it off."

Two plays later, Keshun Love took

a sweep right for 69 yards before Des'jahvonni Miles completed a 30-yard touchdown on play-action.

Isaiah Tucker caught he pass to seal the game, 20-9 - defeating the Aces for the third-straight season at Steele Stadium in Owensboro.

"We kind of woke up and played good defense," head coach Keith Hodge after his second playoff win as a Tiger. "The defense kept us in the game. We did a great job, especially in the red zone, and then we just caught fire there in the fourth quarter. It changed our mindset."

O'Cath held a slim 9-6 lead over the Tigers with just under eight minutes to play before Miles burst from a rugby scrum and sprinted 37 yards for Murray's first lead of the game. He would finish with 27 carries, 122 yards and two touchdowns - his second one being the game winner.

It never was fun and games for Murray, though, especially early. The Aces jumped out to a quick 9-0 lead on a 31-yard field goal late in the first quarter and a 13-yard touchdown from Zuberer to Zach Hanes in the second quarter, following a 30-yard completion along the sideline to Riney.

Murray finally responded with a lengthy, clock-chewing drive that included six keepers from Miles. The junior quarterback converted a fourth-and-two from midfield on a 10-yard rush, and then hit Tucker on a 25-yard completion down the right sideline and had another 15 yards tacked on for a personal foul. Miles easily scooted in from three yards out to draw the Tigers close, 9-6.

At halftime, the Tigers had given up 227 yards of offense and had only held the ball for 7:22 - creating only 105 yards of offense in response.

"The first thing that came to my mind was 'We're going to pull through this thing again,'" Miles said. "We're going to do it again and keep on doing it. I believe in our team, and I believe that we can do great things, both on and off the field."

Murray received in the second half and couldn't score on their first drive, but Miles' nailed the coffin with a punt to the five. Three plays later, Zuberer would throw his first interception to an outstretched Miles over the middle and he would return it to the 25.

The Tigers couldn't capitalize, though, and were stuffed by a ball-hawking defense on fourth-and-two from the three-yard line to invigorate the O'Cath sidelines and fan base.

"My hats off to them, because their defense played exceptionally well tonight," Hodge said. "They did a great job of flying to football against us."

The Aces made it midfield before they, too, chose to go for it on fourth-and-one. Zuberer dropped back and fired right for Matthew Norcia on the screen, but the Tiger defense cracked him hard and recovered the fumble.

Needing a score with 10 minutes left in the game, the Tigers went for it on fourth-and-nine on their 40-yard line, but Miles was sacked to end the drive.

With a chance to stretch the lead and sitting on good field position, the Aces couldn't convert on fourth down from the Murray 48, when a false start on a Riney fake-punt attempt forced O'Cath to boot the ball back to Murray.

It was just the mistake the Tigers needed.

With the win, Murray assured themselves a spot in the regional championship against Caldwell County once again, as the rival Tigers upended Ballard Memorial Friday night 44-6.

While most teams would certainly be present minded, these Tigers believe they are more than prepared for next Friday.

"We're thinking about it right now," Miles said. "After this win, I believe we're ready. I think we're going to have another great week of practice, as usual, and come out ready for Caldwell.

"We're going to come out ready to play ball."

NOTES: Riney finished with 11 catches and 156 yards on the contest. Owensboro Catholic had averaged more than 53 points per game coming into Friday's matchup.

Love was limited on offense, but blitzed early and often from his safety position for most of the game. Hodge said he will have to get him the ball more next week against Caldwell County.

Although Murray did have two fumbles in the contest, the Tigers committed zero turnovers for only the second time this season, finishing (+4) for the game.

An efficient passer this season, Zuberer completed just 22-of-48 passes, good for 46 percent.

Before Love's run, the Tigers had been held to 200 yards rushing on 48 carries.

Yes, it was close last time Murray and Caldwell played. PLUS, many people were looking forward to the matchup of Owensboro Catholic versus Caldwell. Guess those people will give Murray a little more credit next time. HERE IS A STAT: Owensboro Catholic has lost SEVEN total games in the last four years. FOUR of those seven loses have been to Murray.

You are correct sir, OC plays extremely weak teams every year, then comes the big dogs in KHSAA tournament. This will go on every year.....count on it next year also.

Originally posted by bigmac234:
You are correct sir, OC plays extremely weak teams every year, then comes the big dogs in KHSAA tournament. This will go on every year.....count on it next year also

I believe North Hardin got put back on the schedule and I believe Mater Dei of Evansville is going to play Catholic in a Catholic Bowl game between OCHS, Mater Dei, Holy Cross, and Desales I believe.
This post was edited on 11/17 5:39 PM by Green Nation2

ADVERTISEMENT