ADVERTISEMENT

Out of the First Round Games. . . . . . . . . . . .

SECHonk

KP All-Pro
Jan 3, 2014
what % of them do you think will feature running clocks? There's 100 or so games. I'm going with about 80%. Very competitive football for sure.

You're probably right. I don't like it, either. But, this dead horse isn't worth beating. We are stuck with the 6 class, four teams to the playoffs from each district format for at least the next four years.....might as well wish for the best and make the most of it.

There are 96 games. 48 of those are 1 vs 4. Those are the most likely place to find a running clock although that could happen in a few 2 vs. 3 games.

My high guess is 40 and my low would be high 20's.

No way it's 80%. If it's that high we need to just take District winners.

It's not 80%, but in the last four years there were no less than 42% of games that ended in margins of 36 or higher, and that 42% is an outlier by about 5%. Last year it was 49% of all first round games (46 games) ending in margins of 36 or higher. That's ENDING in it, which means you're guaranteed that game had a running clock at some point. That doesn't mean there couldn't have been more that got to the running clock and then dipped down below 36 at the final margin.

In total, 64 of the 94 games played in the first round last year (two byes) ended with a margin of 25 or higher, which is just over 68% of all games. Nine games ended with a margin of less than ten points- NINE. It only goes up to 13 if you bump that to 14. In other words, you likely didn't see a competitive first round game last year if you went out and watched on Friday night.

BTW, as a frame of reference, in the final year of the four class system in 2006, there were only 29.69% of first round games that ended with margins of 36 or higher (19/64). There were the exact same amount of games played that had margins of less than ten points.

What a joke! Of the 95 games, 34 of them featured margins of 38 pts or more. Ridiculous! Most of these teams shouldn't even be playing football, much less competing in playoffs.

In spite of these first round games High School football in Kentucky has improved in recent years. We still have schools (administrators) that fail to realized the connection of all facets of school being interconnected. Not picking on anyone but Hopkins Central has had little success athletically in the last four years. Losers in 37 straight football games, winners of only 32 boys bball games, 37 girls bball games, and 26 baseball games. Also they are a "Priority" school on the Dept of Education Test Score rankings. (HCCHS did show significant progress in the last year WRT test scores).

Balance is important in the high school experience. All phases are important because you have to create an atmosphere that causes kids to want to be at school.

Originally posted by SECHonk:

What a joke! Of the 95 games, 34 of them featured margins of 38 pts or more. Ridiculous! Most of these teams shouldn't even be playing football, much less competing in playoffs.
And why should they not play football?

Playing at team sport helps build a kid character and should teach them discipline and gain friendships and bonds

False
Lol. Tell em how it is bro.
flush.r191677.gif

No reason to embarrass themselves getting their teeth kicked in. Stop pretending you can compete at something you have no business doing. No character building in losing 60-0 every week.

No reason to embarrass themselves getting their teeth kicked in. Stop pretending you can compete at something you have no business doing. No character building in losing 60-0 every week.
Let me guess, you have never coached or played an organized sport Skippy

Quitting is a much better answer.

Or not attempting something that you obviously can't do is the better answer. Most of these games are/were just a waste of everyone's time and money.

"Wasted EVERYBODY'S time and money....". What a sweeping and informative statement.

Um horrible Podunk HS football is not anything akin to being in a foxhole. Your reading comprehension is awful; no one said anything about quitting. Rather, many of these schools and the players that obviously don't know how to play football have no business ever starting in the first place.

Um horrible Podunk HS football is not anything akin to being in a foxhole. Your reading comprehension is awful; no one said anything about quitting. Rather, many of these schools and the players that obviously don't know how to play football have no business ever starting in the first place.
That's about the most ignorant statement I've read in a long while.

Originally posted by kentuckycolonel:

What is ignorant about it? I'm guessing you are of the mentality of "everyone's a winner" and participation trophies. Over 1/3 of these games featured margins over 38 pts. Many in the 50s and 60s. It's a waste of time and resources to play these games. Only about 1/2 the schools currently "playing" (and I use that term loosely) football need to be. Probably a lot of fine and talented kids who are talented in other areas out there making a mockery of the game. And actually the stupidest most ignorant thing was the imbecile who compared HS football to being in a foxhole.

Let me rephrase.

I would not want you to be the guy beside me on the LOS. Across the line would be better. Always like to know that my opponent thinks quitting is an option.

Again, try to keep up. I said nothing about "quitting". My problem is these schools even trying to play (and failing miserably I might add) in the first place.

Most of these schools don't have consistent talent going through their programs; therefore, asserting that 50% of the football programs in this state should not be in existence because of a dry-spell is pretty asinine.

Again, try to keep up. I said nothing about "quitting". My problem is these schools even trying to play (and failing miserably I might add) in the first place.
So the schools that started football programs the past 5-10 years and are not winning many games, need to quit playing?
Sounds like that is what you are saying Skippy.

-----October 31, 2014, It's senior night at Storm Stadium as those in attendance await the football game between the Hopkins Central Storm and the Union County Braves. It is very cold and windy. No doubt the Storm are expected to lose thier 36th straight game but there is a buzz in the air, the kids are ready to play, those seniors that are involved in extra curricular activities and thier parents are going to be recognized. Game starts, Union ahead 29-0 after the first quarter. At the beginning of the 2nd, Union's coach pulls all starters. From that point on, the Storm outscore Union 15-7, the fans are excited, the dance team at halftime was great, the band one of the best performances of the year, Storm's seniors score all the points, Union's reserves get a lot of action. Yes, they lost thier 36th straight but believe or not it was a very entertaining night. Of course the Storm go on tho lose #37 at FS in the playoffs BUT Mr. Honk, try showing up at the next school board meeting and explain why Hopkins Central needs to drop football and see what kind of reception you get. While you are in the area, drop by Union County who lost 71-37 in the first round and Henderson County who lost 55-7 in the first round for a similiar reception-----

Originally posted by WhiteEagle:

-----October 31, 2014, It's senior night at Storm Stadium as those in attendance await the football game between the Hopkins Central Storm and the Union County Braves. It is very cold and windy. No doubt the Storm are expected to lose thier 36th straight game but there is a buzz in the air, the kids are ready to play, those seniors that are involved in extra curricular activities and thier parents are going to be recognized. Game starts, Union ahead 29-0 after the first quarter. At the beginning of the 2nd, Union's coach pulls all starters. From that point on, the Storm outscore Union 15-7, the fans are excited, the dance team at halftime was great, the band one of the best performances of the year, Storm's seniors score all the points, Union's reserves get a lot of action. Yes, they lost thier 36th straight but believe or not it was a very entertaining night. Of course the Storm go on tho lose #37 at FS in the playoffs BUT Mr. Honk, try showing up at the next school board meeting and explain why Hopkins Central needs to drop football and see what kind of reception you get. While you are in the area, drop by Union County who lost 71-37 in the first round and Henderson County who lost 55-7 in the first round for a similiar reception-----
laugh.r191677.gif

dead.r191677.gif

That's very pathetic. . . . . . . and sad. And Union is 2A and isn't Hopkins 4A or 5A. Just awful and you're celebrating it.
This post was edited on 11/10 2:57 PM by SECHonk

Originally posted by WhiteEagle:

BUT Mr. Honk, try showing up at the next school board meeting and explain why Hopkins Central needs to drop football and see what kind of reception you get.
I shouldn't have to. It's (painfully) obvious.

(1) I'm not your brother. (2) I actually do. I'm just not willing to sugar coat what is obvious. That many of these schools have no business trying to compete in sports they can't play or don't care enough about. Quit painting this ridiculousness with rose colored glasses and watch the actual games. Even at it's best KY HS FB is well behind many, many other states. At it's worst, it's like a bunch of grandmother's trying to play it. Look at the scores of most of these games. There's no "great lesson to be learned" by getting your teeth kicked in every week and looking pathetic while doing it.

Exhibits 1(A) and (B) I give you the Bracken Co. Polar Bears and Logan County Somethings. Bracken 0-11, outscored 569-63 including losing its last 4 games 251-6 (or on average 63-1.5). Logan Co. (5A Logan County!!!!!) fares slightly better but still never musters more than 12 pts in a single game. But yeah some great memories getting bludgeoned and made fools of.
This post was edited on 11/10 6:27 PM by SECHonk

Okay Skippy, it is obvious that you have no clue about athletics. By the way, what team do you support Skippy?

Originally posted by kentuckycolonel:

What is ignorant about it? I'm guessing you are of the mentality of "everyone's a winner" and participation trophies. Over 1/3 of these games featured margins over 38 pts. Many in the 50s and 60s. It's a waste of time and resources to play these games. Only about 1/2 the schools currently "playing" (and I use that term loosely) football need to be. Probably a lot of fine and talented kids who are talented in other areas out there making a mockery of the game. And actually the stupidest most ignorant thing was the imbecile who compared HS football to being in a foxhole.
The Packers hung 55 on the Bears last night, so I suppose they should quit too using your logic. Stick to your statistics pal, athletics obviously isn't your strength.

You can't fix stupid.

ADVERTISEMENT