ADVERTISEMENT

St X vs. Male

DirtyBird

KP Pro
Jun 17, 2001
Big game coming up this Friday at Male. St X is coming off a big win against archrival Trinity. Male is bringing a 6-0 record into the contest, and swept X and T in four games last year.

Who wins and why?

This post was edited on 10/7 12:04 AM by DirtyBird

Can they do it again? I think so.

I think the game all rests on the shoulders of Davis "Big Game" Mattingly. Male's QB has been spectacular in all his big games. Last year he was the deciding factor in all those games (4 two in the regular season two in the playoffs).

Mattingly's stat line for those four games (both St. Xavier and Trinity games) combined: 116-165 (70.3%), 1,212 yards, 7 touchdowns, 2 interceptions -

Male just looks so complete as a team. I'll take Male by 7.

Originally posted by Adopted Purple:

Originally posted by Jelly giant:
My money is on Male.
Mine is not Mr. Jelly man. I think St. Xavier has the best defense in 6A. St. Xavier by 10!
Your saying this because of how they played against Bowling Green? The Rocks dropped 21 on the Tigers and may have scored more if it wasn't for turnovers, and Trinity's QB missed a few wide open receivers a couple of those receptions could have been TDs. Male is much better at the skilled positions, especially at QB, than the Rocks, I say the opposite Male by 10.

This post was edited on 10/8 8:41 AM by hoggwildcat

Originally posted by hoggwildcat:

My money is on Male.
Mine is not Mr. Jelly man. I think St. Xavier has the best defense in 6A. St. Xavier by 10!
Your saying this because of how they played against Bowling Green? The Rocks dropped 21 on the Tigers and may have scored more if it wasn't for turnovers, and Trinity's QB missed a few wide open receivers a couple of those receptions could have been TDs. Male is much better at the skilled positions, especially at QB, than the Rocks, I say the opposite Male by 10.

Gosh! I heard this same thing last week and look what happened. I'm riding that pony until it throws me off.

Originally posted by hoggwildcat:

My money is on Male.

Gosh! I heard this same thing last week and look what happened. I'm riding that pony until it throws me off.
I can respect that, Purple. I'll be at the game Friday for sure.

Should be a good one, although messy with rain in the forecast. Male showed last week that they can grind out a win with the running game when the ball is slippery and the passing attack struggles. St X capitalized on 6 Trinity fumbles (3 lost) and made big plays in the game at PJCS last Friday.

I haven't seen St X this year, but I know they had a lot of reloading to do after last season, with the loss of Charles Walker and Austin Davis, as well as most of the OL and DL. It appears after playing Bowling Green tough and the big win over Trinity (they were due, weren't they?) that the Tigers have answered the challenge.

I've seen the Butler, Ballard, and Meade County games for Male and they are loaded with weapons on the offensive side of the ball. The defense has looked very strong, giving up only 41 points so far this season. Granted, the level of competition in Male's early schedule has not been as good as St X's.

Comparing scores from common opponents, there have been two (Ballard and Fairdale). St X opened their season against Ballard, winning 17-0. Male played Ballard in week 5, winning 50-13. Against Fairdale, Male won 56-6, and St X won 41-12.

I thought last year's St X squad was a great team and I'm a bit skeptical that this year's team is at that level, given the amount and quality of players they had to replace. Male has nearly everyone back from their 2013 team. They have very good athletes on both sides of the ball at the skill positions and on the line, and, contrary to the practice of extensively playing kids both ways during the Redman era, this Male team generally plays kids just one way.

Forecast calls for 80% rain chance at game time. I like Male to pull out a win on a sloppy field 24-14.
This post was edited on 10/10 12:34 PM by DirtyBird

I thought the same thing about St. X coming into the season, DirtyBird. Male had a ton of atheletes returning this year and St. X lost several of their "marquee" players, but I believe this years St. X team is markedly better. I think they are buying into Wolford's system and Wolford is finally adjusting to high school football. St. X has a lot of "meat and potato guys" in their lineup. They don't get a lot of the credit, but they get the job done. I know Male is favored at home, but I still like the Tigers.

I think St. X is improving from week to week and with another rainy night ahead, I look for the size of St. X and the rain to negate Male's big play capability.

St. X 21
Male 14

devil.r191677.gif

Male came right out and dominated the Tigers from the first whistle.

X secondary could not keep Male's receivers in check. And the Bulldog defense made their offensive line look really bad tonight. Houk was hit multiple times, HARD. It was not a good night for X's QB -- a lot of sacks and interceptions.

Play call has to come into question as well. Tigers pounding away with the run game were efficient. Then when they tried to air it things got ugly.

Male is just stock piled with athletes. Their O-Line and front seven on defense are big fast and nasty. But tonight the game was won by the Bulldog secondary. Demetrius Holt and Deandre Coleman hindered the Tiger passing attack all night.

The 30-13 score could and should have been much worse.

Male Carried a 24-0 lead into halftime. Two fumbles set up X with both of their scoring opportunities. Male also had two touchdowns called back as well as two dropped balls in the endzone.

Like I said earlier this week, Male is so complete. Going to take a perfect performance and a really bad outing for for the purple and gold to take them out.

Now in the Land of Louisville Giants or the Super District you never get a week off. Male has to travel to Trinity Friday who's coming off a win over Manual.

Well, it didn't take long for that dang pony to throw me off. I should know that I'm too dang fat to be riding a pony in the first place. I'm just a sucker for the underdog.

Well, it didn't take long for that dang pony to throw me off. I should know that I'm too dang fat to be riding a pony in the first place. I'm just a sucker for the underdog.
All the fine people of the message board community have seen me fall off many o' ponies. It was nice while it lasted, right?

Great win by Male last night. The scary thing about this Bulldogs team is that they they still have room to improve. They completely dominated the first half, taking a 24-0 lead into the locker room. The X offense was limited to just 29 yards and 3 first downs in the first two quarters. Male came out a bit complacent after halftime, allowing an opening X TD drive (sustained by two key penalties) and a successful St X fake punt with the score 24-7 in the third. Part of that complacency was due, I think, to Male's playcalling which got very conservative, with repeated handoffs that didnt stress the X defense much and helped the Tigers regain their composure. We saw the same pattern last year in the H/X games, with Male jumping out to big leads before taking their foot off the gas, resulting in a closer finish. I said I didn't think X is as good as last year's team, and I stand by that statement. Their offense largely involved only two players, #37 Roshkowski (hero of the Trinity game), and RB Taijon Smith. Shut them down, get a little pressure on the QB, and the 2014 Tigers don't have much punch.

Looking forward to next Friday's matchup with the Trinity Shamrocks on their fast field. I like that matchup.

Having seen several 6A teams this year, I'm not sure anyone can beat Male. It would take them imploding for that to happen.

Male's lost to Scott Co. last year was no implosion.

Davis Mattingly had a broken foot causing his deep balls to come up short including three wide open deep balls to Keion Wakefield.

A blocked field goal was returned for a touchdown as well before half time which really killed the bulldog momentum. Their heads sank and never came back up. The game was lost at that exact moment.

Scott Co. played a complete, mistake free game and won it like they should have but Male shot themselves in the foot.

ADVERTISEMENT