ADVERTISEMENT

Power Rankings

I'll take a shot...

In 6A there is no team with better talent than Manual...I'm not buying Trinity till they show they can beat Male. Simon Kenton lost in a scrimmage to St. X who is the only real top quality team they have played this year...McCracken is a smoke and mirrors show; it took them overtime to beat a 1A team. I don't care if that team is Mayfield, if a 1A team can almost beat you, you don't belong in the top 5 of 6A.

3A - 5A...I can live with.

2A No way Caldwell is tops. They are brutal on Defense and their best win is against a gawd awful Christian Co. team. Sure they can score, but look who it's against. They're number 2, but I would say it's a #2 that's a long way behind #1 DeSales..

1A - Is there a reason to rank anyone other than Mayfield?

Oboro should be currently over Boyle and CC until they prove differently. Boyle has beaten no one. You can make an argument on CC but not on Boyle other than name only. Jacob Tamme is not walking through that door.

I don't put much stock into early season rankings. With that said, how do you justify Madison Southern being ranked ahead of Pulaski County in 5A? PC beat them twice last year. RIGHT NOW, I've seen nothing telling me that is deserved.

Originally posted by Wildcat_18:
I don't put much stock into early season rankings. With that said, how do you justify Madison Southern being ranked ahead of Pulaski County in 5A? PC beat them twice last year. RIGHT NOW, I've seen nothing telling me that is deserved.
What tells me all I need to know about Madison Southern is Damien Harris has 1017 yards on 56 carries and 17 touchdowns. He's only played 31/2 games, one being called at halftime due to weather.He's averaging 18 yards a carry. Both games with Pulaski County last year were 3 point games. The last one in a mud bowl. I don't know who is better right now, but this kid is a difference maker.

This post was edited on 9/17 8:14 AM by Adopted Purple

With all those stats, one would think you would have got his team name correct. Games are not played on paper. The fact is that Pulaski was 2-0 against him last year. No one knows this year. Why wouldn't Pulaski get the nod RIGHT NOW at this point of the season? There's no justification for it. All I hear is the mud bowl excuse. Pulaski played about a "D" game that night. You all act like mud only affects Damien Harris. He's a great high school running back. He's not Jesus. He can be beaten. It's proven.

This post was edited on 9/16 7:16 PM by Wildcat_18

MrBrownstone, following your logic, who has Owensboro beat that they should be ahead of Boyle and CC??

With all those stats, one would think you would have got his team name correct. Games are not played on paper. The fact is that Pulaski was 2-0 against him last year. No one knows this year. Why wouldn't Pulaski get the nod RIGHT NOW at this point of the season? There's no justification for it. All I hear is the mud bowl excuse. Pulaski played about a "D" game that night. You all act like mud only affects Damien Harris. He's a great high school running back. He's not Jesus. He can be beaten. It's proven.

I blame spellcheck for the team name. I post about Warren Central a lot. If you notice, I didn't say Madison Southern is better.
"I don't know who is better right now, but this kid is a difference maker". So, why so touchy? Pulaski County will have several chances to show how good they are.

Originally posted by Adopted Purple:

I blame spellcheck for the team name. I post about Warren Central a lot. If you notice, I didn't say Madison Southern is better.
"I don't know who is better right now, but this kid is a difference maker". So, why so touchy? Pulaski County will have several chances to show how good they are.
I second this, it's just a power ranking. It's the fifth week of the season, so it's more of an educated guess. I believe after BG, MS and PC there's a significant drop off. The decision to move MadSouth up was certainly do to the Harris factor. I also can't show how close it was to begin the other way around, with just a 1-5 system without points.

I also see that this is one of your first posts on this site, at least under this handle. A word of advice don't approach every thread you disagree with like someone is talkin' 'bout yo momma.

Originally posted by W.E. Raider:
I'll take a shot...

In 6A there is no team with better talent than Manual...I'm not buying Trinity till they show they can beat Male. Simon Kenton lost in a scrimmage to St. X who is the only real top quality team they have played this year...McCracken is a smoke and mirrors show; it took them overtime to beat a 1A team. I don't care if that team is Mayfield, if a 1A team can almost beat you, you don't belong in the top 5 of 6A.

3A - 5A...I can live with.

2A No way Caldwell is tops. They are brutal on Defense and their best win is against a gawd awful Christian Co. team. Sure they can score, but look who it's against. They're number 2, but I would say it's a #2 that's a long way behind #1 DeSales..

1A - Is there a reason to rank anyone other than Mayfield?
I was actually the only member of the poll to vote in Manual during the preseason. With that said, they are now half that team without running back Mike Nero (ACL). I think the Crimsons are done for.

I'm an offense over defense kind of guy, what can I say? I think plus I've seen both teams and there are apparent matchup problems for DeSales in the secondary. Hence my pick.

You're right I could have totally stopped with the Cardinals.

Thanks for the feedback, though. I think there's a lot of room for change these next seven weeks.

Originally posted by Commonwealthsports:

I second this, it's just a power ranking. It's the fifth week of the season, so it's more of an educated guess. I believe after BG, MS and PC there's a significant drop off. The decision to move MadSouth up was certainly do to the Harris factor. I also can't show how close it was to begin the other way around, with just a 1-5 system without points.

I also see that this is one of your first posts on this site, at least under this handle. A word of advice don't approach every thread you disagree with like someone is talkin' 'bout yo momma.
Do you honestly think MS was better than PC last year after losing twice? Your ranking makes no sense. "The Harris factor" was also a factor last season and it didn't make a difference. It's proven. You won't see me ranking PC over Bowling Green until proven otherwise. Listen, Harris is one of the few great running backs to ever come through here, not taking that away from him. Pulaski is a better TEAM. The problem is that guys like you will still have Madison Southern ranked higher because of the Harris factor, even after they lose. I'm not buying it. LOL. Give credit where credit is due. PC beat them twice in '13 (home, away, and would have beaten them on the moon as well), MS lost more, PC lost less. You say PC has several chances to show how good they are. They already have. They're the defending state runner-up and lost virtually no one that can not be replaced successfully.

Do you honestly think MS was better than PC last year after losing twice? Your ranking makes no sense. "The Harris factor" was also a factor last season and it didn't make a difference. It's proven. You won't see me ranking PC over Bowling Green until proven otherwise. Listen, Harris is one of the few great running backs to ever come through here, not taking that away from him. Pulaski is a better TEAM. The problem is that guys like you will still have Madison Southern ranked higher because of the Harris factor, even after they lose. I'm not buying it. LOL. Give credit where credit is due. PC beat them twice in '13 (home, away, and would have beaten them on the moon as well), MS lost more, PC lost less. You say PC has several chances to show how good they are. They already have. They're the defending state runner-up and lost virtually no one that can not be replaced successfully.
"The problem is that guys like you will still have Madison
Southern ranked higher because of the Harris factor, even after they
lose." WRONG. If PC wins that game they'll surely be ranked ahead.

It's just a power ranking, dude. Not like this will be the playoff bracket or anything.

I think Harris will run all over PC this year, as he did last year and MS will squeak out a win as PC did last year. Those games were so close and could have gone either way. I don't see how you can absolutely say one is better than the other from those two games, especially when one was played in the MUD BOWL.

And Madison Southern has gotten better as well. Also if you don't think Damien "THE SHOW" Harris hasn't gotten any better you're silly. 8 or 9 in the box doesn't matter, you're in trouble.

Now, you're making me sound like I'm bashing PC, which I assure you I'm not. PC is a very good team this year and was last year. My guess right now is that Madison Southern will win the two proposed games between the two, but saying MS is No. 2 and PC is No. 3 doesn't mean I'm inferring there's no way on God's green earth it could go the other way. Those two teams are neck and neck.

THAT IS ALL...

"The problem is that guys like you will still have Madison
Southern ranked higher because of the Harris factor, even after they
lose." WRONG. If PC wins that game they'll surely be ranked ahead.

It's just a power ranking, dude. Not like this will be the playoff bracket or anything.

I think Harris will run all over PC this year, as he did last year and MS will squeak out a win as PC did last year. Those games were so close and could have gone either way. I don't see how you can absolutely say one is better than the other from those two games, especially when one was played in the MUD BOWL.

And Madison Southern has gotten better as well. Also if you don't think Damien "THE SHOW" Harris hasn't gotten any better you're silly. 8 or 9 in the box doesn't matter, you're in trouble.

Now, you're making me sound like I'm bashing PC, which I assure you I'm not. PC is a very good team this year and was last year. My guess right now is that Madison Southern will win the two proposed games between the two, but saying MS is No. 2 and PC is No. 3 doesn't mean I'm inferring there's no way on God's green earth it could go the other way. Those two teams are neck and neck.

THAT IS ALL...
It wasn't once, it was twice. That's how I know one team was better, last year specifically. The first game at MS was a 2, maybe even a 3 TD game. PC had a TD removed right before halftime of that game and a phantom call or two in the 4th held us out of the end zone one more time. That was not as close as the score indicated. I'll admit that I was nervous going into the mud bowl. I know how the PC team notoriously plays in that kind of weather. The mud was MS's shot. I was surprised we won to be honest. I'd put the house up that the game wouldn't have been that close in clear weather. You're banking on what "could be" and I'm banking on what "has been," until it is PROVEN otherwise. It is very clear to me that BG is 1, PC is 2, MS is 3. Like you said, those 3 are the cream of the crop in 5A.

Workout,

I guess I should have phased it not really played a great team to measure them by. Oboro playing with, ahead of and having a chance to beat the best team in the State DOES show Oboro should be ranked very high in 4A.

I'm with you Mr. Brownstone! I would put Owensboro at #2 in 4A. If there are three better 4A teams in Kentucky, I wouldn't want to play them.

I see BG is now ranked #49 in the nation per USA today - a tribute to their program:

The Next 25

26. Maryville, Tenn. (3-0)27. Servite, Anaheim, Calif. (2-1)28. Webb City, Mo. (4-0)29. DeSoto, Texas (3-0)30. Chandler, Ariz. (3-0)31. Starkville, Miss. (3-0)32. Carmel, Indiana (4-0)33. Hamilton, Chandler, Ariz. (3-0)34. Brother Rice, Bloomfield Hills, Mich. (3-0)35. Fulton, Knoxville, Tenn. (4-0)36. Oak Grove, Hattiesburg, Miss. (2-0)37. Warren Central, Indianapolis (4-0)38. Folsom, Calif. (3-0)39. Punahou, Honolulu (3-0)40. Moeller, Cincinnati (3-0)41. ArchbishopWood, Warminster, Pa. (3-0)42. Salpointe Catholic, Tucson (3-0)43. Cass Tech, Detroit (3-0)44. Skyline (Dallas) 4-045. Mentor, Ohio (3-0)46. Stevenson, Lincolnshire, Ill. (3-0)47. Paramus (N.J.) Catholic (2-0)48. Ensworth, Nashville, Tenn. (3-0)49. Bowling Green, Ky. (4-0)50. Bothell, Wash. (2-0).

Originally posted by Workout1:
MrBrownstone, following your logic, who has Owensboro beat that they should be ahead of Boyle and CC??
OHS had a chance to showcase who they "really" are last Friday. As I said on here a few posts ago - I believe they really opened the eyes of several people around the state. Bowling Green is arguably the best team in the state in ANY class. BG escaped Rash with a win - but they left knowing they were tested and in a fight. OHS played right with them for 3 1/2 quarters and out played them the first half - which should say a lot of this Red Devils team. They are only going to improve - mark my word OHS will not lose another game the rest of the regular season. I don't see anybody left on their schedule beating them. Just my opinion..

They are easily #2 right now in 4A!

Originally posted by Mr Brownstone:

I see BG is now ranked #49 in the nation per USA today - a tribute to their program:

You are exactly right! I don't think this team is a top 50 nationally ranked team, right now. I hope I'm wrong, but we will find out soon enough. I think it's the program that created the streak that people respect. I hope it's not a short stay in the rankings.

Just going to look at 4A.
I would put Boyle on top. I think they have beaten better teams than Highlands.
2, Highlands
3. Owensboro
4. about 7 other teams for at least 3 more weeks.
Cov. Cath, Lex Cath. Johnson Cent, Collins, N. Oldham,
Don't know much about Franklin Simpson, and Mad. N. Hopkins.
Did I miss anyone?

I'm with you Mr. Brownstone! I would put Owensboro at #2 in 4A. If there are three better 4A teams in Kentucky, I wouldn't want to play them.
Question: Not taking away OHS effort cause it was great against BG, BUT would they still be the same team if the game was in BG? Just asking because they will have two home games in playoffs barring they just don't lay an egg the rest of the season. The Region will be hosted by FS if they don't have a let down either. Round 4 is away too. OHS is not a GREAT road team if you look at their past. Last year every playoff game was at Rash......
This post was edited on 9/18 10:18 AM by Green Nation2

If you look at history with an objective eye, which is something rare around here, Owensboro is no better or worse on the road than at home. Conversely they are no better or worse at home than on the road.

The "voodoo" myth surrounding Rash Stadium is just that. A myth.

Originally posted by macdon:

The "voodoo" myth surrounding Rash Stadium is just that. A myth.
Blaspheme !!!!

Bruce%20Almighty.bmp

Originally posted by Green Nation2:
Question: Not taking away OHS effort cause it was great against BG, BUT would they still be the same team if the game was in BG? Just asking because they will have two home games in playoffs barring they just don't lay an egg the rest of the season. The Region will be hosted by FS if they don't have a let down either. Round 4 is away too. OHS is not a GREAT road team if you look at their past. Last year every playoff game was at Rash......
This post was edited on 9/18 10:18 AM by Green Nation2
Owensboro will have to continue to get better. That means learning to win on the road. They have the talent. Great teams win wherever the game is played. The state championship games are road games for every team. Well, almost every team.

Point I was trying to make was that Owensboro would have to play region finals and semi's on the road...That is a hard one to do.

ADVERTISEMENT