ADVERTISEMENT

Mayfield 16 Russellville 8 FINAL

roundballking

KP Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2002
Trajon Bright's long TD run with 5:00 was the difference in this one. Russellville made it to the Cards 14-yard line, but Mayfield's D holds.

What a fantastic High School football game we got to watch tonight. Mayfield is a very good team, and my Russellville Panthers are a very good team. And they just went at it tonight. Don't know as much about Mayfield this year, but I think the Panthers are going to be laying in bed tonight thinking they were the better team. The Panther defense had them shut down basically all night. The Desmon Quarles fumble in the 3rd quarter set them up with great field position and they were able to take it in. Any time the Panthers put them back in their own territory though they were able to get stops and force punts. Cant pin the game on one play, but man would've loved to have seen what would've happened if the fumble didn't happen.

Loved Coach Myers game plan. Desmon didn't get a lot of carries early in the game, but that drive that he fumbled on you could see the mayfield defense was starting to wear down. A fresh Desmon running against a tired Mayfield defense could've been enough to put the Panthers up 16-3 on that possession if we could've held on to the ball. But those things happen during the game and you have to regroup.

The last TD from Mayfield was just a good run. Bright ran the ball well all night. We could've had him in the backfield several times but he was able to slither away from tacklers. But even after the score RHS had two golden opportunities to get a late TD and have a chance to tie the game with the 2 Pt conversion. The ball was in Panther receivers hands twice on the last two plays but they just couldn't come down with it.

Kudos to both teams on an excellently played game. Looking forward to the trip down to Mayfield in a few weeks hopefully for the rematch.

Still can't get over the back flip from the Rville kid! Credit Rville for a tough fought game but I'm glad to still see us win even though we didn't play very good. I would love to see a rematch in the 3rd round at our place!!!

Do you think the Panthers had something to do do with you not "playing very good"...Maybe if the Panthers had played better we would have won!!! Both teams played very hard on an amazing night for football. IMO the turning point was us not fair catching the punt that ended up going 70 yards. We had no field position or momentum after that. We also fumbled deep in our territory leading to Mayfields last touchdown. I give Mayfield credit for that too. Mayfield has a fine team and obviously a lot of tradition but when someone matches them play for play over 4 quarters give them a little credit...I have seen him do better back flips just not on the football field!!!

This post was edited on 10/25 4:32 PM by bravebirdie

This post was edited on 10/25 4:42 PM by bravebirdie

Little birdie he said nothing negative about Russellville. He said we didn't play good and didn't give an excuse as to why. Chill brother. Nothing but respect for Russellvilles program and Coach Myers. And I believe he gave Russellville credit. Says it right in his post.

This post was edited on 10/26 2:37 PM by 89cardinal30

I can read.. It says Mayfield won even though they did not play very good. I think both teams played great!!!

I still don't think we played very good! One example was to many penalties. I did and will credit Rville for being part of that reason. I've been to each and every one of our games and this game was not one of our best performances.

ADVERTISEMENT