ADVERTISEMENT

Cocoa @ Trinity

Commonwealthsports

KP All-Pro
Dec 11, 2012
Big-time national game this week in St. Matthews.. I'll be on the field for this one...

This post was edited on 9/16 10:57 AM by Commonwealthsports

Re: Cocoa Beach @ Trinity

The game is with Cocoa High School from Cocoa, Florida. HUGE[/B] difference from Cocoa Beach High School.

Cocoa is ranked 440 nationally. Cocoa Beach somewhere over 9,900.

This post was edited on 9/16 10:16 AM by macdon

I looked up Cocoa Beach first and thought, Alex should come watch FS v. Battle Ground or BGHS v. McCallie instead of watching Trinity beat someone 150-0.

Whoops good call Mac. Though it does say Cocoa Beach on the Trinity schedule I have. But you're right it's the more prominent one.

Not sure how the Rocks will fare in this one. Cocoa has some studs...

We'll have a joint preview of the game with FlaVarsity's Mike Singer tomorrow. You'll see what I mean then.

Watched Cocoa play Cincy Colerain 2-3 years ago. And I watched them play someone else from FL last year. They weren't very big and didn't dress a lot of kids either time I watched. But they were fast!!! Lol I think Trinity will wear them down thgh.

In 2011, Cocoa played Elder the week after Trinity handed them their worst loss in school history, 56-7 at the Pit. Cocoa won at the Pit 24-21 on what I believe was the last play of the game.

Originally posted by NLTanker1:
In 2011, Cocoa played Elder the week after Trinity handed them their worst loss in school history, 56-7 at the Pit. Cocoa won at the Pit 24-21 on what I believe was the last play of the game.
2011 had to be Kentucky's best year on the football field. Trinity won National Championship and Highlands and Bowling Green finished in the top 50 nationally.

I agree AP. 2011 was awesome. I'll be heading to BG a lot starting next week. We'll have to do lunch one day.

I agree AP. 2011 was awesome. I'll be heading to BG a lot starting next week. We'll have to do lunch one day.
We should be able to find somewhere to eat. Bowling Green has more restaurants than Adrian Peterson has switches. Too soon?

I wonder what Cocoa is like up front. I know their secondary has a senior headed to Ohio St. and a junior headed to Florida. Surely, gonna be some talent on the back end of that defense.

But that doesn't exactly spell disaster for the Rocks. They've been running the ball a lot so far. Probably not by choice, but without a steady QB there forced to play that hand. But that man Donald Brooks has shouldered the load. After last game's five touchdown and 290 yard performance, I think the Rocks are just fine with it.

Wonder about the speed difference, though.

This post was edited on 9/17 9:11 AM by Commonwealthsports

Tanker, Elder played Miami Central and not Cocoa. Miami Central went on to play for their state championship and lose to one of the best teams in the country in a close contest. Miami Central is a lot better than Cocoa.

Like a poster above said, Cocoa played Colerain that year I think or the year after. Trinity will be fine as long as they don't keep giving up the deep ball. I'll be at this one as well.

Louisville Trinity will have little trouble with this squad. Ensworth is the best squad they've played followed closely by Carmel.

I'm going to make the trip up from Knoxville meet up with my brother in Lexington then head over to Louisville for the game. We're both Cocoa alumni from way back. It's hard to get HS football out of your system. I haven't got to see them play since I moved up 5 years ago. Look forward to the game no matter the outcome.

Originally posted by Raider 1:

Who is this Trinity you all speak of?
The Trinity everybody thought would he mowed in this game. The Trinity team who has as good of chance as any to win the state championship. The Trinity team yo parents warned you about.

The 'Rocks are back in the saddle again.

tumblr_mlgm6tmEHS1rzrrn9o1_500.gif

Louisville Trinity is going to have trouble defending the deep ball the remainder of the season. They looked a lot better in the second half, but Cocoa still had their chances. Louisville Trinity is fine offensively. They get too cute with the play calling and it cost them at the end of the first half with the int in the endzone. I blame the coaches and not the player for that call. Brooks played like a dude. The front 7 for Trinity played liked dudes in the second half.

Great game last night. Congrats to the "Rocks". The Trinity Shamrocks were wonderful hosts for the Tigers of Cocoa. Even though Cocoa didn't win they were able to get it back in reach and didn't give up.

Beatty said that interception led him to go to senior quarterback Ryan Young in the second half. On his third throw of the game, Young found Brooks for a 47-yard touchdown pass that pulled the Shamrocks within 26-21 at the 7:46 mark of the third quarter.

"He brings some leadership because he's a senior," Beatty said of Young. "We have to go with somebody who can't turn it over in there, and I think we were ready for a change."

This post was edited on 9/21 8:56 PM by dropcurve

What a great High School football game!! Cocoa was a class act, played extremely hard and they had some studs, we are going to be hearing about that QB for years to come, he escaped out of some impossible situations and still managed to gain chunks of yardage. I have been extremely worried about Trinity's pass defense until the 2nd half of the Cocoa game Friday night where they finally seemed to figure it out & shut down Cocoa's deep pass play ability. If Trinity continues on that 2nd half improvement in the secondary there is no doubt they will be just fine against Male, Male is athletic but they do not have the athletes Cocoa has.

Few things here:
Ryan Young should be the quarterback for good now. Larry Harper can do somethings Young can't, especially in terms of mobility in the pocket. But Young also shows his maturity by the reads and decisions he makes. Harper has to be around 5'8 to 5'10 tops, hence his troubles seeing over the line in passing situations. In 2015 this team is Harper's hopefully with a growth spurt as well, but Young gives Trinity the best chance to win now, in my opinion.
Anybody know what happened to the Donald Brooks who used to shy away from contact, stop his runs and brace for contact? Because he wasn't at Marshall Stadium on Friday night.... Brooks stole the show in the second half with two long breaks on a Cocoa defense who kept the Rocks in check with their speed around the edge. So what does the great Bob Beatty do when his outside running game isn't working and his passing game is absent? He runs it down their throat out of the wildcat and with a lot of misdirection plays with his star Donald Brooks.
Trinity's defense came alive after being beat deep several times. As the game clock ran down, the defense became stingier and stingier.They pressured and contained the superb quarterback from Cocoa, who broke them down at times. Really happy with what I saw from this group Friday. They were down and beating themselves up at times on the sideline. But they bonded together for stops to give their sputtering offense a chance.
Defense and Donald Brooks won this for Trinity.

This post was edited on 9/22 12:25 PM by Commonwealthsports

Originally posted by Commonwealthsports:

The Trinity everybody thought would he mowed in this game. The Trinity team who has as good of chance as any to win the state championship. The Trinity team yo parents warned you about.

ec
My parents warned me about a lot of things, but I promise Trinity was not one of them

Originally posted by Commonwealthsports:

ec
My parents warned me about a lot of things, but I promise Trinity was not one of them
Hope you saw the one underneath. I was joking to an extent.

ADVERTISEMENT