ADVERTISEMENT

Win of the Week

Wildcat_18

KP Junior
Sep 16, 2014
The board has been somewhat dead lately. Thought I would use this thread to post my big win of the week. I'll try to get here to do this weekly.

This week's goes to St. X's 45-19 win over Bowling Green. I don't care how down BG seems to be. I expected a much closer game than this.

I'll give Paintsville the runner-up award. They beat Pikeville 23-22 in overtime in a battle between two of 1A's most elite teams. Bet that was a fun one to watch.

What are your thoughts? What other wins would you add to the list?

Last edited:
I thought Johnson Central's win over LexCath was massive. Seemed like most people thought LexCath would take it at home, and Johnson Central really dominated them.

The board has been somewhat dead lately. Thought I would use this thread to post my big win of the week. I'll try to get here to do this weekly.

This week's goes to St. X's 45-19 win over Bowling Green. I don't care how down BG seems to be. I expected a much closer game than this.

I'll give Paintsville the runner-up award. They beat Pikeville 23-22 in overtime in a batter between two of 1A's most elite teams. Bet that was a fun one to watch.

What are your thoughts? What other wins would you add to the list?

That's a good one. X has been an after thought under Wolford, thus far. Big win for Tiger Tech.

I'll be honest, the Johnson Central / LexCath game went about like I expected. It would have been more on a neutral site in my opinion. JC will have a good shot in 4A every year for the next 4-5 years.

The St X domination of BG was somewhat of a surprise.

Mayfield dismantling Tilghman was another shock. I thought Mayfield would win but the method and margin was not expected. It was nearly a 48 minute highlight.

Mayfield dismantling Tilghman was another shock. I thought Mayfield would win but the method and margin was not expected. It was nearly a 48 minute highlight.

How about Graves big win @ Murray

It's hard for me to put a 5A win over a 2A school in this category for some reason. I know they're Crider-less this year, but that group made the title game last season. I just don't see it. That should be expected, no disrespect to Murray. Maybe that large margin @ Murray maybe?

I thought about Mayfield. I expected they would beat Tilghman, but I didn't think it would be by that margin. Good win for the Cardinals.

I thought about Mayfield. I expected they would beat Tilghman, but I didn't think it would be by that margin. Good win for the Cardinals.

I'm on a different page. I didn't think much of PT coming into the season. My thinking was, after a stellar 2014, the far west fell off. Except Mayfield, of course.

Win of the Week - 9/11/15

This week's big win comes from Louisville again! However, it's probably not the one you all are thinking. After taking last week's big win, St. X will be the loser this week. Central beat St. X for the first time in school history I believe. (I may be wrong on that, correct me if I'm wrong.)

I also have 2 runner-ups.

#1 - We can't overlook the big win Male had over the Rocks. The score reflected total dominance of the state's overall #1 team. I wish I had been able to see this game.

#2 - DANVILLE. I have been on the Haddix Hounds bandwagon all year so far. I couldn't have been more shocked to see the 3-score blowout for the quickly rising 2A school over Corbin.

I'm one that always likes to have state championships trump big regular season wins no matter what. However, it it safe to say that this was Central's biggest win in school history?

Probably up there, but I think they'll take those state championship games over it. And I'm sure it's not the first ever win against St. X. Don't quote me, though.

Win of the Week - 9/11/15

This week's big win comes from Louisville again! However, it's probably not the one you all are thinking. After taking last week's big win, St. X will be the loser this week. Central beat St. X for the first time in school history I believe. (I may be wrong on that, correct me if I'm wrong.)

Saw the bolded on Twitter last week. They were something like 0-33-2 against X....

Yeah I saw somewhere that Central hadn't beat St. X in the last 35 games, but seemed the same comment I saw said school history as well. I didn't trust the source at the time.

Nice, that's an awesome feat for coach Scroggins. St. X is already having trouble getting inner-city kids to take the placement test, not to mention getting them enrolled. This win might albeit end that pipeline that had delivered some very talented Tigers.

Win of the Week - 9/18/15

There weren't many big wins that I saw this week, so I started looking at margin of victory on some of the games. The one that stuck out to me was Boyle County's 48-14 win at Collins. Is Boyle just "that" good or is Collins "that" bad? This supports my opinion that Collins will be nowhere to be found in the 4A race. Some of my 4A haters will be bowing down to my 2-horse race prediction for Johnson Central and South Warren come December.

What other games stood out to you guys?

My honorable mention would probably be Fern Creek over Desales. However, I reserve the right to believe that 98% of the time, a 5A school should have no problem with a 2A school. Mayfield would be that exception. ;)

Win of the Week - 9/25/15

There were a few teams in consideration for the big win this week. I kept trying to think of the implications of each game, which game meant more to a team than the rest. I went with Caldwell County's 48-27 win over Paducah Tilghman this week. I think this loss puts Tilghman squarely outside of the 3A box full of contenders. I once thought they had a very small shot to make it to BG out of the west, but that ship has now sailed. They're done.

Runner-ups?

Cooper - They shut out Lexington Catholic 28-0. Notoriously, LexCath's offense is difficult to slow down, let alone stop completely. They zipped them up an that's impressive regardless of class.

Spencer County - The Bears are now 6-0 with their best shot in school history I believe. I talked to one of their players last week and he said things are on the rise there. The football atmosphere is changing in Spencer County. If last week's loss doesn't put Collins out of the 4A picture, this one does. Collins joins a growing list of teams I now think have zero chance to win the state championship.

What other teams would you all add to this week's list of impressive wins?

Win of the Week - 10/2/15

There were very few quality wins this week. However, the one I will choose will shock no one on this board. Henry Clay came down to Pulaski County and got completely annihilated 43-0. The highly questioned and criticized Maroons defense pitched the shutout in front of UK's Coach Stoops and assistants. I expected them to win, but not by a running clock at halftime. It was clear the Maroons players were trying to make a statement in front of one of the SEC's hottest coaches this season. This was a statement game and a win I was looking for to erase a bit of the doubt from the others in 5A.

Runner-up - Lafayette is the most overrated 6A school IMO. With that said, I think Bryan Station is very good. I still think BS wins 7 out of 10 games against Lafayette. The Generals caught them this weekend 19-12 in the low-scoring affair. I have to give credit where credit is due.

Any other nominations for this week's big win?

That's my prediction right now, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Owensboro avenge the BG loss and upset them. It's hard to beat a team twice in the same season.

BG/OHS would be at Owensboro. Owensboro is going to finish the year pretty much coasting in. BG will finish with Greenwood and then McCracken Co. So they at least are playing a couple of teams that have won a bunch of games. Not sure how competitive those two games will be.
An Owensboro win, at Rash Stadium, in the Regional Championship would not be an upset.

Owensboro is 1-9 against Bowling Green this decade. I think a win for O-boro over BG would definitely be considered an upset. I don't care how down BG is or how "up" O-boro is. History does not support the Red Devils in that series.

Win of the Week - 10/9/15

There was only one win that stood out to me way above the rest. CAL zipped up 2A powerhouse, DeSales 16-0. Big regular season win. We'll see what the playoffs bring. Makes the 2A picture much more interesting. Also puts Mayfield squarely at the #1 position for me.

Runner-ups:

#1 - Spencer County keeps winning, 47-42 over a good 4A top ten Franklin County team. This was a win that proves to me that they belong in the mix of 4A.

#2 - I'll throw Cooper a cookie for taking down a good Ryle team. Cooper is building a nice resume of wins this season.

Win of the Week - 10/16/15

LexCath over Boyle 31-24. This was the easiest win of the week to select this season. This puts LexCath squarely back in the mix in 3A I believe. Belfry unanimously back on top of this class.

Runner-up:

Highlands over CovCath 14-10. In the battle between two historically great programs, Highlands gets the edge. I thought CovCath was a bit better than the birds this year, but they proved me wrong.

Moral victory of the week: Male drops St. X by only 3 points. Does this game put X back on the map this season or does it show the flaws of Male? 6A is shaping up to have no solid favorite. Where does Trinity fall into this mix?

My Vote is Shelby Co. over undefeated Spencer Co. in 4A
Don't think anyone including myself gave them a chance.

Shelby County is 7-1 and have played a better schedule than Spencer County. They definitely had a chance, especially at home. I would have to disagree with you on this one.

Two good games for sure.
Lexington showed they were still ready to vie for the top spot in 3A.
Highlands showed they may be down but not out-

Does anyone know where I can see the Boyle/Lexington game online?

Win of the Week - 10/23/15

With very few (if any) upsets this week, I went by margin of victory on my game of the week. The Maroons of Pulaski separated themselves from their crosstown rival with a 52-6 blowout of Southwestern. PC owned them from the kickoff and had a running clock over what I considered a top 5 team in 5A. I expected a much closer game.

I also have a couple of "moral" victories of the week. I hate saying that!

#1 - What about Ashland containing the powerful Johnson Central offense in an 8-7 loss on the road? Ashland is here to make some 4A noise this year. Looking forward to a rematch.

#2 - Graves County dropped this week to Owensboro 20-19 at home. Do they have another run in them as the sleeper of 5A?

Win of the Week - 10/30/15

A bit late to the game this week on high school football. I'm giving this week's win to the Mayfield Cardinals for their big 1-point W at Caldwell County 25-24. Battle of the big boys.

Runner-ups:

Bowling Green whipped McCracken County 38-14 in what I thought was a nice regular season ending measuring stick heading into the playoffs for each. BG is rolling!

Knox Central laying the smack down on Corbin 36-0. Is Knox that good or is Corbin that bad? I expected a better game from a team most project to make the 3A final four.

I can't leave Belfry out of this mix. I didn't expect the thrashing of Johnson Central by 41. This changes some things up for me.

Win of the Week - 11/6/15

A 3-win Lincoln County drops a 4-win Harlan County 40-35. In the first round of the playoffs, this is the best I can do. I didn't expect Harlan Co to drop this game. The winner gets the defending 5A state champs. Did Lincoln County really win this game?

Runner-up:

3-win team, Dixie Heights. They took out a decent 7-win Montgomery County squad 21-17.

ADVERTISEMENT