ADVERTISEMENT

Update on 2017 WR/DB CJ Hayes

Dave Lackford

KP Rookie
Gold Member
Jan 14, 2014
What's up guys? I come bearing info on CJ Hayes, a 2017 kid that Mike wrote an article about a week or so ago. I drove out to South Warren HS in Bowing Green KY, and watched the Spartans beat Franklin-Simpson 27-0.

CJ had a good game, he picked off two passes and returned one for a TD, which was unfortunately called back for a block in the back. He also had a forced fumble on a punt return. On offense he had one catch for 8 yards and picked up 20 on reverse. All of his numbers came on the first drive of the game, but the team elected to keep the ball on the ground for most of the game as their OLine was dominating Franklin-Simpson. CJ was targeted three times in the end zone but came up empty handed. Overall it was a good game for CJ and when he gets the ball in his hands you can tell he's a special athlete.

I got a chance to talk with him after the game and he told me the Duke University hit him up on twitter before his game last night. He also told me he has received interest from Louisville and Tennessee and that he was going to drive down to Ole Miss today for a visit and to watch them play Vanderbilt.

I also spoke to his father, who told me that CJ wants to play receiver as far as football goes but also mentioned that he is a big time baseball player and has been scouted by a few major league teams and colleges. I asked him what schools have been contacting CJ the most and he told me his son talks to Lamar Thomas often, so it appears Louisville has their eye on him. I was also told that Duke has been talking with CJ over the last few days and of course Ole Miss since they are driving down there today. Mr. Hayes also mentioned that Notre Dame, Kentucky, Cincinnati and Arkansas had been in touch with CJ recently.

Another thing I found noteworthy was that CJ's dad told me they are originally from Tennessee and they moved here when CJ was in 8th grade. It would seem that if Tennessee or Vandy made a push they would also have to be considered serious contenders.

I really enjoyed meeting CJ and his father.

CJ was very comfortable speaking with me. He gave a lot of praise to his teammates, which I really respected. He was also quick with a witty response to my questions and spoke with confidence. He's also a legit 6'2 maybe 6'3" because I'm 5'11 and he towered over me. He's also a solid 195 pounds. When you watch him play and meet him up close you can tell he's got D1 talent and think it's a mere matter of time before the offers and stars come.

ADVERTISEMENT