ADVERTISEMENT

The Dissection of BG v McCallie

LilyOfTheValley

KP Rookie
Sep 11, 2014
I'm about to step on toes, and frankly I don't care.

Kevin Wallace lost that game for Bowling Green, not the players. That was single handedly some of the worst coaching in the fourth quarter that I have EVER seen and I've seen some stupid coaches do some stupid things (I mean I am a Greenwood fan). The way he handled those last three minutes of the game should go down as the WORST coaching decisions I have ever seen. Absolutely horrendous. For you to call time out with 2:30 left on the clock instead of running the ball regardless of down and distance is pathetic coaching. To use that timeout to try and throw a vertical to Bradley Wierson on the sideline to just try and score instead of keeping the ball and giving the FASTEST team I've ever seen 2:00 on the clock is pathetic coaching. BG did NOT deserve to lose because of the way their team played. Frankly, they didn't deserve to lose at all. But the debacle that was Kevin Wallace's handling of the situation is what lost them that game.

In the end, I was right. But I didn't want to be. At all.

Congratulations to McCallie for an AMAZING game.

Congratulations on the PLAYERS of Bowling Green High School, have fun unleashing some anger on the rest of your opponents. For the next 10 weeks, I choose BG over anyone they play, and may God have mercy on their souls.

I am sure that Wallace would be happy to have you come to practice Monday and help. There is no doubt that you have more knowledge about the game than him.

Kevin Wallace is a good coach. A great coach. But this loss is on him and his coaching decisions. Anyone who knows football knows that.

By the way, did you enjoy your trip to Hopkinsville? Heard there is some good catfish up there.

I thought Bowling Green was the best team on the field for 47 minutes and 36 seconds. McCallie was better for the 24 seconds that mattered. You can blame it on Coach Wallace, but that would be unfair. The boys had many, many chances to win that game, but just couldn't finish. I have questioned the coach's play calling for years and yet he still wins 48 in a row. Just imagine, if he would have listened to me or Lily, he might be coaching the Cowboys by now. It was a great football game that we should have won, but didn't..To blame it all on a man that has led them to 3 straight championships and 2nd all time in consecutive wins, is laughable. Maybe Seabolt will grow into Lily's perfect coach, but I doubt it. There just isn't any perfect coaches!

AP, I completely agree with you. But I will not blame the Purples for this loss. Football is a team sport and I understand that, but the decisions that were made were what cost them the game. BG was the best team on the field all 48 minutes. But McCallie had better coaching (when they needed to be. Other than that, their coaching was horrible all game). The Zone Read play that McCallie ran to get to BG's 3 was coaching genius. It had not worked all game for them and when they finally called Zone Read, it worked perfectly and had EVERYONE fooled (even me). BG was out coached. Plain and simple.

By the way, I actually am a Cowboys fan.

And I don't want Wallace.

the man's record speaks for itself. OMG! Have you ever heard the old saying it's better to be quite and thought a fool then to speak (or write) and remove all doubts! Wallace probably wanted to win more than anyone, now that the pressure is off, look out. The Purples we be "head hunting" now! Loose and fancy free, time to just cut loose and let it all hang out. I am a disciple of the late Dan Haley, he told me on more than one occassion that Wallace was/is the real deal. Bowling Green is a "power house" and I truly expect them to make it 4 striaght!

Wow, you would be really smart about if the play-clock wasn't running out and they called time out to avoid a penalty.

When Bowling Green beat St. X in overtime, a few weeks back, I thought Coach Wallace was crazy. St. X missed a field goal and the Purples got their turn from the 10 yard line. Only needing a field goal to win, Wallace called a passing play over the middle and completed it to the 1 yard line. We had 3 downs left at the 1 yard line. He calls another pass and completes it for a touchdown and the win. I still think that's nuts, but we won the game. Nobody said a thing about the play calling. That's just how he rolls and I think that's how you have to roll to keep up with the McCallies, the Blackman's and the St. X's of the world. He's a proven winner and all the criticism about his coaching is hilarious. If his bad coaching costs us a game every 4 years, I can live with that. Nobody is perfect, I made a mistake once myself back in the late 70's .

This is not a Kevin Wallace hate topic. I simply stated that he blew the game in my opinion. And in many other people's opinions. He is a good coach with a stories career but this post isn't about his career and the streak in general. It was about this particular game that he lost due to his faulty play calling. He isn't perfect. I'm not. And neither is Adopted Purple (shockingly). It is also not a BG Purples hate topic. I admire their tenacity on defense and their magic on offense. Their an amazing team that got out coached in my opinion. Wallace has always been a risk taker (John Hardin '12, McCallie '13 and Blackman '13) but it now that his risk has finally caught to him and brought the end to the streak, he will catch some flak over it. And deservedly so. But Coach Wallace has been criticized before by many people and will be for years to come even after he retires. The streak ended because of his play calling and I will stand by that. Bowling Green will win every game they play from now until early December by no less that 21 points. They are now a group of very, very, VERY pissed off young men that aren't looking for revenge on any one who lies on their war path, but a reckoning so violent that their won't be any naysayers for next year's season. BG wins this state championship and the next three after it. (That'd be 7 in a row.)

You are a hard one to read, Lily! You keep saying that you are a Greenwood fan, but you keep sounding like a Purples fan. I've never ran into one of those PurpleGreen beasts before.

Wow, you would be really smart about if the play-clock wasn't running out and they called time out to avoid a penalty. Would you care to address your mistake Lily?

Having a son at Greenwood and being a Purples alum will make you a good ole PurpleGreen Beast. And playing under Dan Haley will give you an idea of how football works. But what do I know, right?

This post was edited on 9/20 5:48 PM by LilyOfTheValley

Storied*

That's one of those mistakes I was talking about Raider 1. Told ya I wasn't perfect.

I'll try to keep my posts up to your standards from now on.

This post was edited on 9/20 7:24 PM by LilyOfTheValley

Moving on to your next mistake. The last play you are calling a vertical was a 3rd and 7-10 play. Bowling green runs a pro-style progression passing game. Wallace called a play that had worked 2 times earlier in the game as a conversion play and the qb CHOSE to throw to Bradley because the safety jumped the 1st progression leaving the skinny post open. Not everyone at Bowling Greens level runs a middle school passing offense where the coach tells people who to throw to. (Warren Central)

Originally posted by iam4thecats:
Moving on to your next mistake. The last play you are calling a vertical was a 3rd and 7-10 play. Bowling green runs a pro-style progression passing game. Wallace called a play that had worked 2 times earlier in the game as a conversion play and the qb CHOSE to throw to Bradley because the safety jumped the 1st progression leaving the skinny post open. Not everyone at Bowling Greens level runs a middle school passing offense where the coach tells people who to throw to. (Warren Central)
That feels like a pretty unnecessary shot.

Wasn't necessary to include in this thread you are right. I'd like your opinion as a dragon fan though. Also what story is going around dragon land as to why the qb coach quit? I know what he is telling people and that is why I made the previous comment.

Originally posted by iam4thecats:
Wasn't necessary to include in this thread you are right. I'd like your opinion as a dragon fan though. Also what story is going around dragon land as to why the qb coach quit? I know what he is telling people and that is why I made the previous comment.
My opinion on the BG stuff is that while Coach Wallace is I'm certain not infallible, he long ago earned the right not to be second guessed over every minute detail. The fact of the matter is that if Tre Boards makes an INT far less difficult than many he has made before, BG wins the game anyway. Hit him right in the bread basket. That's not a criticism of him, he's a great player who, again, has made more difficult plays than that. A game can not be boiled down to a single play or a single decision. We all want to do that but it just isn't reality. And if Coach Wallace did make a mistake, hasn't he built up quite a cache of good will for all the good calls that led to wins in several different nailbiters?

On the coach quitting, if that happened then this is the first I've heard of it. That'd be Dalcourt right? I did notice a new coach up on the press box the other day, guess that was the replacement. I also have no idea if that's how they're running things on telling him who to throw to. I do know that it is still just five games into a system that none of those players ran at any point in their careers. Shanklin or any other Dragon QB wouldn't have been learning progressions and such coming up through middle school, they'd have been learning basically how to hand off or run the ball for the most part. I have assumed that they will continue to sprinkle in more changes and layers to the offense as time goes on.

I feel like in the last two games the passing game has opened up more with more guys getting involved. In the Bourbon County and DeSales game, I feel like Shanklin began to laser lock on Feggins, especially in the DeSales game. It didn't help that there were some egregious drops in that game from some receivers. I think he began to lock on a guy he trusted more. Sounds like what you're hearing is it was more of a coaching edict.
This post was edited on 9/20 9:06 PM by DragonFire

My apologies iam4thecats. I refuke my statement and blame the game on the players full force. I bow to your high graces and may we all go in peace. Sheesh. You would think that no one could voice their opinion on how they saw the game was lost on a high school football blog. You know what, just to get at you, I still blame Wallace. ;)

No Justice, No Peace.

This post was edited on 9/20 11:59 PM by LilyOfTheValley

Originally posted by LilyOfTheValley:
My apologies iam4thecats. I refuke my statement and blame the game on the players full force. I bow to your high graces and may we all go in peace. Sheesh. You would think that no one could voice their opinion on how they saw the game was lost on a high school football blog. You know what, just to get at you, I still blame Wallace. ;)

No Justice, No Peace.

This post was edited on 9/20 11:59 PM by LilyOfTheValley
We don't actually make you bow down to us. That would be crazy. We do like the first couple of your posts to tell us how great we are and all the amazing things you heard about us. It helps tremendously and makes your transition much easier. Glad I could help!

Storied*

That's one of those mistakes I was talking about Raider 1. Told ya I wasn't perfect.

I'll try to keep my posts up to your standards from now on.

This post was edited on 9/20 7:24 PM by LilyOfTheValley
Have a long way to go brother

Is this discussion serious? Kevin Wallace is a hell of a coach with a heck of a staff. Look a where BG's program has taken off to under his direction. Up here in Owensboro, we are jealous with envy. To be frank, it sickens me to see where BG's program is, but I give Wallace tons of credit for developing a system and depth.

devil.r191677.gif

Devils this is not about his illustrious (and impressive to say the least) coaching career. It is about how I felt the McCallie game was lost due to his coaching fallacies in this particular game.

Devils this is not about his illustrious (and impressive to say the least) coaching career. It is about how I felt the McCallie game was lost due to his coaching fallacies in this particular game.
So....Not one player screwed up? Every player graded out to 100%?

Originally posted by Green Nation2:
Nope! Not one, Green Nation2. All the players played a perfect game. All the coaches too, except for Wallace. You have to take it easy on Lily. He is confused. He's a Bowling Green grad, but has a child at Greenwood. Those Gators have obviously messed with his head.

Originally posted by Adopted Purple:

Originally posted by Green Nation2:

Nope! Not one, Green Nation2. All the players played a perfect game. All the coaches too, except for Wallace. You have to take it easy on Lily. He is confused. He's a Bowling Green grad, but has a child at Greenwood. Those Gators have obviously messed with his head.
He must of transfered cause he wasn't getting enough playing time. Enough said all you need to know about Lillypad

Now that is funny Lizard King. I actually fell out of my office chair laughing. Actually, kind of looked like that second gif now that I think about it.
laugh.r191677.gif

I actually didn't transfer. I did however ride the pine quite a bit.

Maybe you guys are right. Maybe I know nothing of the game of football. Maybe players lose games for coaches and coaches are untouchable.

I think you're right.

I hold up my white flag.

ADVERTISEMENT