ADVERTISEMENT

Premium Sports Sites

Wildcat_18

KP Junior
Sep 16, 2014
Another site (not sure if I'm allowed to say their name on here or not) officially turned 100% premium last week. You now have to pay to contribute on message boards. Seems to have more negatives than positives in my opinion. You're not paying for info, you're paying for opinions and rumors. What are your thoughts?

I'm sure you can say BluegrassPreps on here. And if you can't, well, who is left to police it?

I'm of a couple of minds about it, but typically, I have favored the paid access. For starters, when you've got some skin in the game (so to speak), it makes you at least consider what you're saying. It's a nightmare to moderate a site when someone can say whatever they want, and if they are suspended, simply go grab another username and repeat the process. I think it raises the bar on the quality of posts in a big way. I do and did like having a lot more people on the site than there had been in past years, especially from the west, which used to frequent this forum a lot more. But a lot of the people who spilled over from the freebies were freaking crazy.

I miss KentuckyPreps being a viable alternative, because I could go to BGP for a more cultured approach, but here for some fun WKY talk, and to observe the crazies.

Hell, these sites should pay me to post ..

8eb549af079340748477df2533f58888.jpg

Reactions: Wildcat_18
I'm sure you can say BluegrassPreps on here. And if you can't, well, who is left to police it?

I'm of a couple of minds about it, but typically, I have favored the paid access. For starters, when you've got some skin in the game (so to speak), it makes you at least consider what you're saying. It's a nightmare to moderate a site when someone can say whatever they want, and if they are suspended, simply go grab another username and repeat the process. I think it raises the bar on the quality of posts in a big way. I do and did like having a lot more people on the site than there had been in past years, especially from the west, which used to frequent this forum a lot more. But a lot of the people who spilled over from the freebies were freaking crazy.

I miss KentuckyPreps being a viable alternative, because I could go to BGP for a more cultured approach, but here for some fun WKY talk, and to observe the crazies.

The problem I have with the whole thing is simple. Take your post for example. You specifically name another site and then add the positives to using that site, no negatives. Under the definition of advertising, that would now break Rule #1 at Bluegrass Preps. Breaking that rule would get you banned and fined for reinstatement. Something as simple as the comment you made could get you permanently banned from a website. Blows my mind.

I say that to say this: I understand your viewpoint on the topic. It does makes sense to an extent, specifically on weeding out the crazy posters. However, the material on the forums is 95% smoke and mirrors with a small percentage actually being truth. I understand making other portions of the website premium material, but not necessarily the message board sections. Just because someone is a "freebie" doesn't mean their input is more worthless than a premium member and they're easily expendable. As a coach, you don't cut a kid from the team because he doesn't have good financial situation at home and is unable to afford equipment or find a ride to or from practice. You help out, fork out the equipment and pack him around. It boils down to greed when it comes to websites in my personal opinion. The green drives everyone these days.

There is just as much goofiness on a pay site as there is on a free site.
I don't go to a forum to find the absolute truth. It's to go where rumors, accusations, griping, bragging, and complaining is rampant. It's like visiting the infield of the Derby. That is till the cops show up, run everyone off, and then the fun part is over and nobody ever shows up again.

Every bit as much goofiness on the paid sites, it's just a matter of who you are as to what you can get away with. I hate hearing people pull that card, and never try to use it; but it's the truth on it to a large degree. Huge double standards.

Sadly, some of its high school forums (football and basketball in particular, as they are the most visited) are nothing more than an anonymous listserve for several axe grinding, jealous, mud slinging coaches that are out there....which is fine, if you are the type of individual that would also do that in person (but, those people aren't). Most like to think it's just "fans" or parents, but there are just as many coaches, if not more, doing that same kind of goofiness that Mac alluded to.

I'd love nothing more than to see this site make a comeback.

I too would love to see this site rebound from its current ghost yard status but on the other hand I can't fault the owners of pay sites, they are just trying to make a living and that is their chosen field

So what does it take to resuscitate this thing?

I say we just start chatter.

Job openings/Spring Practice Reports/random topics of discussion (the best) and see what happens. Word travels for sure. I think there are a lot of people that still check in here, but don't see any activity and then move on.

EKY has theirs. BGP is heavy NKY, and a little all over. Time to bring back all things I-65 on west. :)

I too would love to see this site rebound from its current ghost yard status but on the other hand I can't fault the owners of pay sites, they are just trying to make a living and that is their chosen field

I think a lot of those who run the paid sites do it aside from their everyday careers. More of a paid hobby. I may be totally wrong on that. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge can contribute on the topic.

If someone is making a living off of a high school site, more power to them. I would definitely keep the day job.

Not only do I believe they're not making a living off of it, I have pretty serious doubts they really make much in the way of money at all.

Not only do I believe they're not making a living off of it, I have pretty serious doubts they really make much in the way of money at all.

Total hobby.

How many ever read the "articles" posted on the home page? Just curious.

I don't know how many read them. I think they get a decent amount of views. I hope some are reading given that I write some of them.

Total hobby.

How many ever read the "articles" posted on the home page? Just curious.

I never do. No offense to the writers. More of a message board kind of guy. On most occasions, the "freebies" have more insight than the premium posters.

Who is supposedly in charge of this site?

That's a good question. "Commonwealthsports" has posted the sticky threads. However, I believe he stepped away awhile back to pursue his law degree. I'm not sure who is the main one in charge now.

ADVERTISEMENT