ADVERTISEMENT

Is DeSales one of the best teams in the state regardless of class?

Commonwealthsports

KP All-Pro
Dec 11, 2012
The Colts are back-to-back defending state champions and have been beating bigger schools over the last two years.

Now I pose the question, are the Colts one of the Commonwealth's best teams, regardless of class?

In 2013, they beat John Hardin and Warren Central, both 5-A competition. In 2014, they beat Warren Central again.

Now in 2015, they have beat beaten 6-A Butler. To break down these team easily, John Hardin in 2013 was one of the better 5-A teams and UK-player Matt Elam was on the team. Warren Central, however, wasn't of the same caliber.

Butler isn't much of a challenge either and the Bears lost to Meade Co. last week. So their not top caliber around the state. But the way in which the Colts dismantled them Bears the question.

Obviously I'm a little biased because I played for the Brown and White, so I'm asking you all if I'm overreacting or on the money.

T X Male Manual Scott Co BG Owensboro are teams off the top of my head i'd say are better than Desales. I know i'm leaving out several nky teams.

Uh, no. They are an excellent small school. That said, I would still pick Mayfield in a head to head. Wins over Warren Central the last two years are not what I would call real "quality" wins and Butler isn't even a top 10 6A school. The 2013 win over JH is impressive but that was three years ago now. DeSales IS closing the gap in KY and IS beginning in my mind to start having their sights on overtaking X if X keeps heading down the path they're on, BUT for now, no. In the future, quite possibly, yes.

I'd say schedule Male or T and see what happens. That would answer your question. Now, imo, I think Desales is likely a Top 10-15 team in the state and I think they could beat most of the 1a, 2a, 3a, 4a and 5a teams. I think they could be Top 3 or 4 in any of those classes. I do think there's 7 or 8 6a team that would beat them more times than not.

T X Male Manual Scott Co BG Owensboro are teams off the top of my head i'd say are better than Desales. I know i'm leaving out several nky teams.

And I too believe those programs are above DeSales. But the question I posed wasn't are they THE BEST, it was are they ONE OF THE BEST.

It's funny because my friends (who all attended DeSales) and I had this discussion this weekend and those are the exact teams I told them that I believe would beat DeSales. And out of NKY I think Simon Kenton, Cooper and maybe Highlands could beat them.

Uh, no. They are an excellent small school. That said, I would still pick Mayfield in a head to head. Wins over Warren Central the last two years are not what I would call real "quality" wins and Butler isn't even a top 10 6A school. The 2013 win over JH is impressive but that was three years ago now. DeSales IS closing the gap in KY and IS beginning in my mind to start having their sights on overtaking X if X keeps heading down the path they're on, BUT for now, no. In the future, quite possibly, yes.

I believe I stated the WC and Butler games weren't exactly quality wins, but they were over bigger schools and they did beat them like a red-headed step child.

And you make a great point about St. X. They have their sights set on that especially after beating the Tiger freshman team last year decisively. I think we'll see a game between the two in the near future.

Also I don't think Mayfield will beat DeSales, at all. The Colts will see a much tougher, more athletic schedule than that of the Cardinals. Although the Cards are probably the only team standing in the way of a 3-peat for DeSales and would give them a game. I think DeSales is at least 14 points better than Mayfield.

I'd say schedule Male or T and see what happens. That would answer your question. Now, imo, I think Desales is likely a Top 10-15 team in the state and I think they could beat most of the 1a, 2a, 3a, 4a and 5a teams. I think they could be Top 3 or 4 in any of those classes. I do think there's 7 or 8 6a team that would beat them more times than not.

I think DeSales would have a long night on their hands if they played Male or Trinity. I think both schools would beat the Colts by 20+, as would Scott Co. You could also add BG, Owensboro and Manual to that list.

And I too believe those programs are above DeSales. But the question I posed wasn't are they THE BEST, it was are they ONE OF THE BEST.

It's funny because my friends (who all attended DeSales) and I had this discussion this weekend and those are the exact teams I told them that I believe would beat DeSales. And out of NKY I think Simon Kenton, Cooper and maybe Highlands could beat them.

I believe I stated the WC and Butler games weren't exactly quality wins, but they were over bigger schools and they did beat them like a red-headed step child.

And you make a great point about St. X. They have their sights set on that especially after beating the Tiger freshman team last year decisively. I think we'll see a game between the two in the near future.

Also I don't think Mayfield will beat DeSales, at all. The Colts will see a much tougher, more athletic schedule than that of the Cardinals. Although the Cards are probably the only team standing in the way of a 3-peat for DeSales and would give them a game. I think DeSales is at least 14 points better than Mayfield.

I think DeSales would have a long night on their hands if they played Male or Trinity. I think both schools would beat the Colts by 20+, as would Scott Co. You could also add BG, Owensboro and Manual to that list.

I wouldn't add Owensboro and not Mayfield.. I think Mayfield would beat Owensboro by a couple of TDs.. I think Desales and Mayfield are both Top 15-20 teams in the state, regardless of class and are Top 5 teams in any of the Top 5 classes.. 6a is the only exception, imo..

I wouldn't add Owensboro and not Mayfield.. I think Mayfield would beat Owensboro by a couple of TDs.. I think Desales and Mayfield are both Top 15-20 teams in the state, regardless of class and are Top 5 teams in any of the Top 5 classes.. 6a is the only exception, imo..

My thoughts are that DeSales is a top-10 overall team.

Teams that I think would rank above:

Male
Trinity
Manual
Scott Co.
Bowling Green
Owensboro
Simon Kenton
Cooper
Pulaski Co.
-- And that's all folks!

So I would rank the Colts at No. 10.

DeSales "could" beat many teams. As far as one of the best in the state. I would say yes to an extent. Top 15 or 20 probably. There are a few teams in 3A, couple in 4A, and many in 5A and 6A that I would favor over them. They have a nice program going now up there for 2A. I don't think there's any way there in the top 10 state wide. Too many upper class teams that are better.

Commonwealth, DeSales schedule difficulty would actually rank them 4TH behind Cal at 1, Mayfield #2 and NCC #3 based on Maxpreps rankings which are taken from Calpreps and is the only ranking system that ranks every team. That said it is far from perfect but clearly demonstrates that all 4 play a schedule that will have them well prepared. I would tend to agree with all the rankings out there for now and place Mayfield at #1, a 3 time defending champ

DeSales "could" beat many teams. As far as one of the best in the state. I would say yes to an extent. Top 15 or 20 probably. There are a few teams in 3A, couple in 4A, and many in 5A and 6A that I would favor over them. They have a nice program going now up there for 2A. I don't think there's any way there in the top 10 state wide. Too many upper class teams that are better.

Those I mentioned above are the only teams I think would beat DeSales 2 out of 3 times.

Commonwealth, DeSales schedule difficulty would actually rank them 4TH behind Cal at 1, Mayfield #2 and NCC #3 based on Maxpreps rankings which are taken from Calpreps and is the only ranking system that ranks every team. That said it is far from perfect but clearly demonstrates that all 4 play a schedule that will have them well prepared. I would tend to agree with all the rankings out there for now and place Mayfield at #1, a 3 time defending champ

I'd take their strength of schedule rankings with a grain of salt. I'd take the teams with Louisville speed any day over the best of the west.

I would be surprised if DeSales can get by Mayfield and largely due to Mayfield's speed advantage. With Mayfield in 2A things are now a lot different

I would be surprised if DeSales can get by Mayfield and largely due to Mayfield's speed advantage. With Mayfield in 2A things are now a lot different

That's funny I was thinking the exact same thing about Mayfield. DeSales flies all over the field. And that Colt D is stifling. If DeSales in the west -- which I think they are -- Mayfield may have seen Bowling Green for the last time in a while, DeSales will be stacked for years to come.

Your education will be a pleasure to watch. Don't feel bad though, DeSales is just next in a long list that have been misguided.

Just out of curiosity, who is DeSales' feeder middle school?

They're catholic so there's not a "feeder", so to say.

St. Nicholas, Notre Dame aqnd a few others dominate the enrollment. Although the recent flux of public middle school kids has the program where it's at now. No longer are X and T getting them all.

Cal seemed to out athlete Desalles and i think Mayfield is right there with Cal with athletes and speed and experience so i think that desalles question is answered.

I believe the answer to this question is now "no." You can't be outside of the top 3 in 2A and still sniff a state-wide top 20-25 ranking. Mayfield is really the only 2A school I can see around the top 10-15 or so state-wide.

I'm a mayfield fan and former player. I gotta sat tho I like this guy Commonwealthsports. I love this time of the year on the forum sites. As a mayfield fan I just hope we get to see Danville again. Lol

ADVERTISEMENT