ADVERTISEMENT

DC 41 Apollo 0

Originally posted by livnloca:
Purple- I guess one must inhabit bluntness to be able to recognize it. And I think the word you're looking for is simplicity, which is an integral piece of football that most have forgotten. I'm not sure what it is, but I think there's also something to be said for being frivolous. Thanks for the shout out though brotha'.
Simplicity! Just line up and play. You are wise beyond your years.

"Let life not be measured by the years lived in ones life, but the life lived in ones years."

-----Great stuff, keep it coming
smile.r191677.gif
-----

I once knew a women with one leg, 7 toes and was blind in one eye. She could make the hell out of meatloaf. That woman was my first wife.

If you read a magazine - does that count as reading a book?

If the Pope shits in the woods is he a bear or Catholic?

Are sunflower seeds shaped like tear drops because we stole them from the Indians?

Deep+Thoughts+logo.jpg

This post was edited on 10/30 12:18 AM by thelizardking1

The height of conceit is a flea floating down the Mississippi River whacking off and hollering "Raise The Drawbridge"!!!

This post was edited on 10/30 3:39 PM by Adopted Purple

Originally posted by thelizardking1:
I once knew a women with one leg, 7 toes and was blind in one eye. She could make the hell out of meatloaf. That woman was my first wife.

If you read a magazine - does that count as reading a book?

If the Pope shits in the woods is he a bear or Catholic?

Are sunflower seeds shaped like tear drops because we stole them from the Indians?
This post was edited on 10/30 12:18 AM by thelizardking1 Where you been old buddy? Whenever one of you older gentlemen are gone for over a month, bad thoughts creep into my mind.

Welcome back Lizard.....we were all worried about ya!! While i say that, ive been gone for a while myself. Regular season is over so i peeked back in to check the comments on the OHS/Hendo game and i saw people trashing my opinions of the Apollo football program. So let me see if i can get caught up......

1-Green Nation- If expecting a program to win more than 2 games makes me an idiot, then i guess im an idiot. Im not expecting a state power. Im not even expecting an over .500 program. Im just expecting a team that can stay within 4 touchdowns of their opponents(and no 2 wins vs 2 schools that have a combined record of 0-20 doesnt count). Apollo has had moderate success in the past and can do so again. Its not impossible. I dont know why I cant point to the Mclean County program as an example. Its not like they are beating powerhouses weekly or anything but they are MUCH better than their winless programs of the past. Thats all im asking. Minor improvements.

2-Lizard - I can see your side of the Crume arguement. I brought up the athletic director arguement in this and I can totally agree with the having to hire within theory in football as oppossed to basketball. A lot of people thought Hayden would get the job since he was in house in basketball. I think Barker took a job at Burns if i am not mistaken. Either way, more attention is needed to the program. Im sure they are trying their hardest but trying doesnt equal wins. Their methods are not working and i feel like the program needs to be revamped from the top to the bottom. Not just myself, but a lot of the former players feel the same.

I feel for the kids. To me thats what its all about. I dont feel like kids who want to play football for Apollo are being put in position to succeed. Its just my opinon but 5 straight 2-8 season prove that something needs to change. Hopefully, something can be done to get this thing going in a better direction!
This post was edited on 11/1 8:09 AM by ApolloFan98

I guess i dont get it, although i will say i had that same reaction as Harbaugh a few times earlier watching the Vikings/Redskins game(yep im a Vikings fan).
This post was edited on 11/3 3:52 AM by ApolloFan98

Thanks Apollofan98 - No need to worry about me - I am always around and I'm not just talking about my shape.

So what is the latest over on the "blue" side of town? PUN intended! Is Crume going to get another year? If I am right I believe Paul Bates only got three years at the 2-8 clip. This will have been the 3rd year of 2-8 seasons under Crume. If he gets a 4th year I guess he is doing something that Paul Bates didn't do - and that sure the hell isn't winning. I am like you though Apollofan98 I feel bad for the kids they deserve to win more than 2 games a year. I do believe things are really bad over on that side of town right now. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if nothing is done because it's been said on here before the Apollo administration doesn't give two _______ about the football program. Another thing I have heard from more than one person that Crume is in tight with the suits who are in charge - so therefore they won't fire their "buddy". I am also in agreeance with you Apollofan98 - something needs to be done. Apollo should be better than 2-8 the last 6 or 7 seasons. Just an opinion.

This post was edited on 11/10 3:58 PM by thelizardking1

Originally posted by Adopted Purple:

Where you been old buddy? Whenever one of you older gentlemen are gone for over a month, bad thoughts creep into my mind.
I've been doing a lot of reading and not much posting AP. I don't know - kind of gotten bored with it all. Not many people posting these days. But basketball season is right around the corner and I am hoping that re-sparks my interest again. We shall see. It's good to see guys like you are still keeping the light burning - as dull as it may be.

I am still kicking old buddy - not going throw the towel in just yet!

HorseKick.gif

I think this was just Crume's second full season at Apollo(5th straight 2-8 season). While some like to mention progress, i dont see any. Apollo was completely blown out in every single game they played this season that wasnt against a winless team. Some say the adminstration doesnt care about football. I can agree with that to an extent. I think the county school system is given limited funds for sports programs and that money is spent on other sports at Apollo. That shows. I dont know if Crume is in well with the "suits" or not. It would not surprise me. Apollo has always been a very clique-like group. You would think the people in charge would take more pride in their programs and try to do whats best for the kids and parents involved. I dont feel like that is currently being done but i will give them the benefit of the doubt for now. Changes need to made across the board. That means changing coaches, schedule and complete approach to the program.

Rebuilding is going to be hard no question. But fielding a team that is at least somewhat competitive is not impossible. Coming up in 2015 the 5A district is going to get even tougher IMO. OHS, Christian, Graves and Marshall will be the in district games and the other city games in OC and DC both will be far more talented than Apollo. In order to get things going in the right direction you need to schedule teams that you can beat. Throw some mid level schools in the out of district schedule and see what happens. All of the sudden you beat a few lower level schools and the culture at least changes from 2-8 to maybe 4-6 or 5-5. Thats all im asking for here.

Apollofan98 - The KHSAA website list Dan Crume as the Apollo head coach in the years of 2012 (2-9) , 2013 (2-9) and 2014 (2-9) but if you say he has only been there for two years I will take your word for it. I know that website can sometimes be wrong.

Look I agree with everything you've said - The poorly funded county school system definitely rears it ugly head in athletics. I do think some programs do a better job at fund raising that others though. I just think that is how it is going to be - until a superintendent is hired who really cares about athletics that's just the way it's going to be. One school system has to fuel two different high schools - and the difference in faculties can be seen just by heading north on Frederica St. OHS is a good example of mixing both athletics and education - they take pride in both.

Getting back to the Apollo issue - I am like you I would be surpised if any changes are made. Maybe they can work hard in the off season and get better.

ADVERTISEMENT