ADVERTISEMENT

DC 41 Apollo 0

thelizardking1

KP All-Pro
Dec 5, 2012
I must say I expected this game to be much closer than this. It is one of the most whop sided DC victories I can remember in recent history - I might go out on a limb and say this is the most we have ever beat Apollo. Complete game for DC tonight - all around I feel like they excelled in all facets of the game. I was impressed with the quarterback play and the O-line looked better than they have all year. Lecroy and Spiceson are players - DC could easily string together 4 wins at this point. Hats off to Marcus Kimbrell and staff - great job preparing the players and not getting down after starting out 0 -2. This is still a good DC football team and I think they will continue to show that. I am not sure what is going on at Apollo - I really thought they might come out this year a rally behind each other. Looks like when they get down they just stop competing - almost like they they think they've already lost by being down a few scores. Things can turn around quick in this crazy game of high school football - you can't ever quit gotta always keep playing hard! I hope Apollo gets the train back on the track - I miss when this rivalry was a real rivalry and the games were close! Good luck to Apollo the rest of the way out - they can still win some games this year.

This post was edited on 9/6 12:20 AM by thelizardking1

Originally posted by bigmac234:
Who be the head coach of Apollo? Looks like someone being fired coming soon......like real soon.
Your wrong...

angry-no.gif

Who be the head coach of Apollo? Looks like someone being fired coming soon......like real soon.
Who be???? Two things; look up who the head coach is and learn how to speak/write. Getting fired, mid season??? Are you nuts. This is high school sports. Some people in our society really need to get a clue.

Originally posted by majgun:
Who be???? Two things; look up who the head coach is and learn how to speak/write. Getting fired, mid season??? Are you nuts. This is high school sports. Some people in our society really need to get a clue.
Two words about big mac - Young & uneducated. Now more than two words - Yes some people don't have a clue. What's that old saying? A captain always sinks with his ship. Yea that's it...

I don't think the folks over at Apollo are shocked that their ship is sinking. They're a baseball school anyway, aren't they?

You are correct in that statement AP. No one around Apollo is shocked. The culture around the football program has been headed south since Dan Gooch departed from the school. Its nothing personal against coach Crume but i didnt see anything on his resume that made me think that he would be able to get things turned around. Getting beat 170 something to 24 vs the city/county schools is unacceptable. Apollo needs a fresh start with their program. Contrary to popular belief there is football talent in the school. I would like to see a young energetic coach come thru the program. Maybe a former player? Something has got to give. 2 wins every year vs Hopkins Central and Ohio Co just isnt getting it done.

Originally posted by ApolloFan98:

You are correct in that statement AP. No one around Apollo is shocked. The culture around the football program has been headed south since Dan Gooch departed from the school. Its nothing personal against coach Crume but i didnt see anything on his resume that made me think that he would be able to get things turned around. Getting beat 170 something to 24 vs the city/county schools is unacceptable. Apollo needs a fresh start with their program. Contrary to popular belief there is football talent in the school. I would like to see a young energetic coach come thru the program. Maybe a former player? Something has got to give. 2 wins every year vs Hopkins Central and Ohio Co just isnt getting it done.
What kind of coach with any type of "resume" would want to take over this disaster? I don't see anyone with a "resume" at all wanting to take this job. As far as hiring former players - it's not that easy. Why do you think they hired Crume in the first place? Because it was the "easy" thing to do. Right? When those type of things happen you have to look at your administration and the AD - and then realize that might be the problem here. Just an opinion.

Originally posted by thelizardking1:

What kind of coach with any type of "resume" would want to take over this disaster? I don't see anyone with a "resume" at all wanting to take this job. As far as hiring former players - it's not that easy. Why do you think they hired Crume in the first place? Because it was the "easy" thing to do. Right? When those type of things happen you have to look at your administration and the AD - and then realize that might be the problem here. Just an opinion.

I was going to just let this topic go, but im bored, so what the heck.......Sometimes i think no resume at all is better than a bad resume. Im not saying that Apollo needs to go out and hire a big name coach with a great history and "resume". That would be unrealistic. What i am saying is, i dont understand hiring a coach with a losing tradition that has not done anything to show that he can produce a winner. Maybe hiring a former player isnt that simple. Or maybe it is. So maybe you have to hire someone with no coaching experience at all. Is that really worse than what is going on right now?

Ive heard a lot of rumblings about the AD. Its hard for me to say. I think most of the sports programs at Apollo are handled well. He has done a GREAT job with hiring coaches for the basketball teams. Baseball kind of works for itself with Mantooth. Volleyball and Softball are both solid. I think Apollo is as competitive in all sports overall as any other school in town.

Im rambling, but i want to be clear its nothing personal against the football coaches now. I just have to look at the results and the product on the field and the job just isnt getting done. Apollo may not be a very attractive job, understandably, BUT that isnt an excuse to accept poor results. Mclean County didnt win a game for two years, but look at what coach Waggner has done for that program. There is a guy out there for the job. I just hope we can find that guy.

Guys, Nick Saban could come in Apollo and the school would STILL NOT WANT FOOTBALL! It's not a coach thing, it's your administration has nothing but former baseball and basketball coaches. Newsflash! even when THE GREAT Dan Gooch was there Apollo was not a FOOTBALL POWER in the state.
I will leave you with this. If you deny this you are like UK fans....Idiots. Look at the basketball facility TOP NOTCH, Look at the baseball facility TOP NOTCH, Look at the football field NOT GOOD!

I rest my case.

Here's a UK fan- I didn't know we had BEAR BRYANT? GOSH! Why did he leave? Well Rupp got a Cadillac and the Bear got a Zippo Lighter. Wow! STUPID.

I wouldn't use the Mclean Co. logic to lobby for a new coach.

Green is correct. If the admin doesn't care about a sport, program, etc. then it will not be successful. Apollo is a Basketball and Baseball school.

Originally posted by Green Nation2:

Guys, Nick Saban could come in Apollo and the school would STILL NOT WANT FOOTBALL! It's not a coach thing, it's your administration has nothing but former baseball and basketball coaches. Newsflash! even when THE GREAT Dan Gooch was there Apollo was not a FOOTBALL POWER in the state.
I will leave you with this. If you deny this you are like UK fans....Idiots. Look at the basketball facility TOP NOTCH, Look at the baseball facility TOP NOTCH, Look at the football field NOT GOOD!

I rest my case.

Here's a UK fan- I didn't know we had BEAR BRYANT? GOSH! Why did he leave? Well Rupp got a Cadillac and the Bear got a Zippo Lighter. Wow! STUPID.
Very valid points Green Nation but I would argue that the baseball and basketball programs over at Apollo were already well oiled machines before this administration of what you call "former baseball and basketball coaches" took the reign. The "suits" at Apollo don't give two you know whats about football - that is pretty plain to see - that was proven when they hired Dan Crume - no offense to him. It is my opinion he got that job because he was already in the school as a teacher but was coaching at KWC - making it the "easy" thing to do as I have said about this situation before. Look Dan Crume is a DC guy - I don't have anything bad to say about him. I do know he wanted the DC really bad when it was open and they gave it to Marcus Kimbrell - I have also heard from several people Crume pretty much axed DC after not getting that job.

The Apollo administration didn't "create" a teaching position for what would have been a new football coach after Bates stepped down and when Dan Crume was hired. But they sure did for the basketball program - hiring Steve Barker from Mclean after Sargent stepped down. I believe after resigning from their coaching positions both Sargent and Bates have remained in their role as teachers within the school building. Don't hold me to that but I believe that to be true - thus not really opening up any positions for a teacher/coach?

My question is since they hired Crume who was already in the building why didn't the Apollo adminstration hire Apollo assitant coach Neil Hayden who has since taken over the OC program? Or hire Orlando Johnson from the girls basketball program? Who were both within the school as teachers. I would assume they did apply - but this isn't the basketball thread so I won't go into that too much. No they didn't do either of those things. They hired Steve Barker without actually having a teaching postion available for him. Or did they I am not sure - I kind of doubt it though. What is he teaching? I don't know.... but I am sure they found something for him because Apollo cares about basketball but they don't care as much about football.

What I am trying to say or get across in all this rambling is that until there is a AD in place at Apollo who doesn't have his head up his ass and treats all athletic teams on level grounds then the football program at Apollo will continue to be sub par. I don't nessisairly think it is the coach or coaches faults for losing - I think it is the higher ups who give zero support to that football program. I believe that can be seen by just simply attending a football game.

I will end with this..... Shouldn't it be the goal of the AD or administration to revamp things that need it...i.e. the football program and everything about it? Not just continue to leach off programs such as baseball or basketball who were already thriving before and will continue to thrive. Good luck to Dan Crume in the future as I do believe he is a good guy - but he is going to need it! I know he can't enjoy losing the way that they do - no one would like that. It really looks bad on him as a coach - although I don't think it is entirely his fault.

Guys, I will leave you with this. If you deny this you are like UK fans....Idiots.
-----GN2 gives a very accurate description and w/o a GIF,
wink.r191677.gif
-----

I was going to just let this topic go, but im bored, so what the heck.......Sometimes i think no resume at all is better than a bad resume. Im not saying that Apollo needs to go out and hire a big name coach with a great history and "resume". That would be unrealistic. What i am saying is, i dont understand hiring a coach with a losing tradition that has not done anything to show that he can produce a winner. Maybe hiring a former player isnt that simple. Or maybe it is. So maybe you have to hire someone with no coaching experience at all. Is that really worse than what is going on right now?

Ive heard a lot of rumblings about the AD. Its hard for me to say. I think most of the sports programs at Apollo are handled well. He has done a GREAT job with hiring coaches for the basketball teams. Baseball kind of works for itself with Mantooth. Volleyball and Softball are both solid. I think Apollo is as competitive in all sports overall as any other school in town.

Im rambling, but i want to be clear its nothing personal against the football coaches now. I just have to look at the results and the product on the field and the job just isnt getting done. Apollo may not be a very attractive job, understandably, BUT that isnt an excuse to accept poor results. Mclean County didnt win a game for two years, but look at what coach Waggner has done for that program. There is a guy out there for the job. I just hope we can find that guy.
Sometimes good things come out of boredom - mostly bad but not always. I'll give you the benefit of doubt. I agree with you about the no resume being better than a bad resume. I think it is pretty easy to see that Crume is making his resume look worse. I wouldn't necessarily say Crume had a bad resume - he had a few decent years at Ohio County and moderate success at KWC. He does have a lot of coaching experience - I think the decision makers looked at that more than anything - no wait I can't say that because I believe he was hired because he was already in the school building. Kind of like at awards shows when someone is fixing to win an award they are already "backstage" - I think he was already backstage in this situation.

I still don't think hiring a former player is "that simple" - and I know they sure the hell ain't going to hire Joe Jimmy Bob who works down at the Texaco without any coaching experience who played in 1993. Or even a really good player Apollo had in the past - whoever that may be. YES, both of those would be worse that what they have right now. It is harder to run a high school football program than most think - and definitely even harder to win on a consistent basis. I am sure the Apollo coaching staff is doing all they can do to win. I highly doubt they are sitting back eating cheeseburgers and watching Dr. Phil while the players are practicing. I would think they are working just as hard as any other coach - now are they working with as much effectiveness? Well I let you answer that one... But sometimes it doesn't take long for a head coach to "lose" a locker room. I believe more so that anything that is the case here. I may be wrong - but it is highly likely.

I wouldn't blame all this debacle on the coaches as you have!!! I heard you give the Apollo coaches a flat out F - I wouldn't necessarily give them a A+ but definitely not an F.

If the Lizard Man and GN2 don't reply with a picture, I think they're mad at me. Consistency. I need consistency.

Originally posted by Adopted Purple:
If the Lizard Man and GN2 don't reply with a picture, I think they're mad at me. Consistency. I need consistency.
How about this AP - I find it fitting!

This is you and Macdon!
laugh.r191677.gif

giphy.gif

Originally posted by WhiteEagle:

Guys, I will leave you with this. If you deny this you are like UK fans....Idiots.
-----GN2 gives a very accurate description and w/o a GIF,
wink.r191677.gif
-----
OMG!! It's a Christmas miracle!!!!!
laugh.r191677.gif

Sorry I had too!
-----I like it,
laugh.r191677.gif
-----

This is you and Macdon!
laugh.r191677.gif
I'm quite the dancer, but Mac just doesn't have any rhythm at all!

Just like a middle school girl could come coach at Catholic and win in that district.Union, Butler, Hancock, McLean, and Todd? LOL!!!

Well OC beat Apollo worse than half of the 2A district teams so they prolly wouldn't make the playoffs in 2A either!

As a wise man once said: "the sun still shine's on a dogs ass every once in a while"

I also didn't say anything about Apollo.

Loca-until Apollo finishes a season with a record better than 2-9, I think all Apollo fans should be banned from posting comments on this board. :)

Workout- I think your post holds some merit, but not much. But with the influx of know-it-all's and lack of intelligent gridiron prattle, I figured I could shed a little light every once in a while. And for the record- Apollo has had their fair share of winning seasons. As a matter of fact- 115-105 from 90' to 2010. As opposed to cross-town rival Daviess County (94-118) for the same time period. Just preaching the facts here.

Originally posted by livnloca:
Just like a middle school girl could come coach at Catholic and win in that district.Union, Butler, Hancock, McLean, and Todd? LOL!!!
Loca, you seem to have beef with OCath, but how would Apollo fare in this district? If you replace OCath with Apollo in this 2A district, I'd venture to guess the Eagles go 2-3 at the very best with wins over Todd and McLean. I think Hancock, Butler, and Union would beat Apollo this year. The fact is, the Apollo football program is in a very bad place right now. I will agree with you that Apollo can (and has) win but their approach needs to drastically change. Gooch had them on solid ground.

devil.r191677.gif

I guess everyone is entitled to "venture to guess" what would happen. I just said it's much easier to win in that district. No beef this way, just truth. I just find the arrogance and false sense of entitlement from the OC alum, fan base, and coaches very aggravating. Aside from that- the program at Apollo will be fine, they seem very young this year. Interested to see them develop in the next couple years.

Well I see Apollo will secure another 2-9 season(becoming a norm) by winning a hard fought 50-48 battle against a winless Ohio Co team!!

It's great to see livnloca posting again. There's something to be said about bluntness. I don't know what it is, but I'm sure it's profound. They do know football.

This is you and Macdon!
laugh.r191677.gif
I'm quite the dancer, but Mac just doesn't have any rhythm at all!
You should take this into consideration before making disparaging remarks about my rhythm/dancing ability. As of 10/20/2014 I have a brand spanking new left knee to go along with the right knee acquired four years ago. I'm on the comeback trail.
330px-The-contours-do-you-love-me.jpg

Purple- I guess one must inhabit bluntness to be able to recognize it. And I think the word you're looking for is simplicity, which is an integral piece of football that most have forgotten. I'm not sure what it is, but I think there's also something to be said for being frivolous. Thanks for the shout out though brotha'.

ADVERTISEMENT