ADVERTISEMENT

Contender or Pretender

Originally posted by Commonwealthsports:
Only one thing you said resonates with me -- last season.
Very true. What is your reasoning for not putting MS ahead of BG in your current power rankings? I think Harris is better than any player BG has. He's capable of so many things, correct? Same logic. If you want to crown MS, they should be #1 based on your perspective. In no way do I think Pulaski is the best 5A team in the state right now. They haven't proven anything against BG yet. Not saying that at all.

Originally posted by Wildcat_18:

Very true. What is your reasoning for not putting MS ahead of BG in your current power rankings? I think Harris is better than any player BG has. He's capable of so many things, correct? Same logic. If you want to crown MS, they should be #1 based on your perspective. In no way do I think Pulaski is the best 5A team in the state right now. They haven't proven anything against BG yet. Not saying that at all.
Logic, huh? Let put it the easiest way possible. Both teams are neck and neck, edge going to the team with the first five-star, in the modern recruiting era, to hail from the the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

Bowling Green, on the other hand, is a complete different case. Top to bottom the Purples are stout with a future hall of famer at the helm in Kevin Wallace. Jury is still out whether the gap closed a bit between BG and the rest of 5A. We'll no soon enough, though.

Logic, huh? Let put it the easiest way possible. Both teams are neck and neck, edge going to the team with the first five-star, in the modern recruiting era, to hail from the the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

Bowling Green, on the other hand, is a complete different case. Top to bottom the Purples are stout with a future hall of famer at the helm in Kevin Wallace. Jury is still out whether the gap closed a bit between BG and the rest of 5A. We'll no soon enough, though.
Harris was a 5-star commit to Michigan last year. Did you have MS in front of everyone not named BG then as well? He was the best player in the state and probably the entire Great Lakes region as a junior. The fact is that you're one of the only people on Earth to rank MS ahead of Pulaski right now. Not MaxPreps, not the AP, no other poll I've seen simply because there is no logical reasoning for it. Just wondered if you could shed some light for me on something that you know and that nobody else does. Your opinion is rare. LOL.

W.E. Raider, Saying Caldwell County is a pretender is kind of silly, any team can win if they out score the other team, I don't think people that know football believes that they are pretenders, the defense is improving every week and it's hard to be focused and play shutout defense when you are up by 30 points and the starters are out by the end of the second quarter. everyone is entitled to their opinion but I don't think many people put much stock in to what you say, I haven't seen Warren East play so I wouldn't say such a thing without some clue of whats going on.

Harris was a 5-star commit to Michigan last year. Did you have MS in front of everyone not named BG then as well? He was the best player in the state and probably the entire Great Lakes region as a junior. The fact is that you're one of the only people on Earth to rank MS ahead of Pulaski right now. Not MaxPreps, not the AP, no other poll I've seen simply because there is no logical reasoning for it. Just wondered if you could shed some light for me on something that you know and that nobody else does. Your opinion is rare. LOL.
Sorry, my AP poll has Madison Southern 2nd as well.

Originally posted by katwest:
W.E. Raider, Saying Caldwell County is a pretender is kind of silly, any team can win if they out score the other team, I don't think people that know football believes that they are pretenders, the defense is improving every week and it's hard to be focused and play shutout defense when you are up by 30 points and the starters are out by the end of the second quarter. everyone is entitled to their opinion but I don't think many people put much stock in to what you say, I haven't seen Warren East play so I wouldn't say such a thing without some clue of whats going on.
I'm basing my "Pretender" status on the premise of "can Caldwell" win it all? I say, no way because of their defense. I say this based on the fact that if you look at just about every state champion from every class over the last 20 years, they normally have a stout defense. Some will have great offenses, some will have average offenses, but you will almost never see a team hoist the big trophy without a pretty darn good defense. Yes, as with every general rule, I'm sure, there are one or two exceptions, but trends don't lie. And it's not just that Caldwell is giving up a lot of points, it's that they're giving up a lot of points to average to bad teams.

I do still believe that they're #2 in 2A, but if I had $100, I'd bet about $99 that they'll stub their toe in the playoffs just like they did last year. It might be because of rain, or cold, or who knows, but relying predominantly on your offense deep into the playoffs is normally a recipe for a loss.

Originally posted by Adopted Purple:

Sorry, my AP poll has Madison Southern 2nd as well.
Show me.

http://usatodayhss.com/2014/09/male-bowling-green-highlands-top-the-week-5-ap-football-poll

The USA today poll is simply not very good. Their are other polls out there that have a better grasp.

Originally posted by nptb:
The USA today poll is simply not very good. Their are other polls out there that have a better grasp.
Example? Post links please. I'd seriously like to see those polls.

W.E. Raider, Saying Caldwell County is a pretender is kind of silly, any team can win if they out score the other team, I don't think people that know football believes that they are pretenders, the defense is improving every week and it's hard to be focused and play shutout defense when you are up by 30 points and the starters are out by the end of the second quarter. everyone is entitled to their opinion but I don't think many people put much stock in to what you say, I haven't seen Warren East play so I wouldn't say such a thing without some clue of whats going on
-----As far as the starters, I have seen Caldwell twice and both times the starters on both sides of the ball played into the 4th. Barnes is a lot like ole Orville, leave those guys in to set the records. Raider has an opinion just like you.. He may not be the expert you are but his views are not silly. I am definetly not an expert but very silly. I too believe that as far as winning it all, The Tigers are pretenders. I do agree with your statement "any team can win if they out score the other team" so we do agree on something,
wink.r191677.gif
. I would not be making any reservations for the finals-----

The only game the starters were in for most, not all of the game was Christian County, you must be from the Owensboro area I have seen a lot of your posts from the past, another Barnes hater, don't worry Catholic won't make it that far,
wink.r191677.gif
nobody said anything about making it to the finals, just that they were contenders, I have been to all of the games and you must not know when the second string comes in, as far as records Caldwell could have scored more points in the Trigg and Ohio County games, but he's a nice guy and took Sindelar out before halftime in the Ohio County game and after the first series in the second half against Trigg, I really doubt you have seen Caldwell once from some of the things you say, just saying.

I have to say Caldwell is a contender. They don't fit the traditional mold that defense wins championships but they are more than just a pass happy "system" team. Caldwell's rushing stats are enough to keep opposing defenses honest. Makes them tough to defend.

Trigg Co held the Tigers to 72 yards rushing and lost 50-20. But they stopped the run.

...another Barnes hater, don't worry Catholic won't make it that far,
wink.r191677.gif
Do you really want to compare Barnes' history vs. Catholic over the span of his career? You probably don't want to go there.

W. E. Raider, who said anything about comparing Catholic and Barnes history, your the spin doctor now aren't ya, the other poster said something about Barnes and records, leaving the starters in for that reason, if that was the case Sindelar would already have a couple of those he is close to now, Barnes does the right thing and empties his bench when the game is under control, fact.

Alot of football left. Caldwell goes to Murray.
This post was edited on 9/19 10:58 AM by Green Nation2

Originally posted by Green Nation2:
Murray is a far cry from the team that defeated Caldwell last year.

as in worse?

Caldwell also goes to Mayfield, a trip no team wants to take, Murray is a tough football team, both of those games will be tough on the Tigers.

Originally posted by myspeedshop:
Meade Co. -- PRETENDER

"3-0 and coming off a state championship appearance I still don't believe in the Green Wave. Their real test will be when they make the trip to Louisville to take on Male. They make a statement there I'll believe. I'll believe that. I'll believe that Meade. I'll believe that Meade could win."

I guess for history sake. Meade lost to Male last year (42-14 or something), but I believe it was Meade in the 6A Championship Finals not Male. With the way the play-off system is setup this year it could be the same result this year. Male has to proven they can get out of the super-district first. Meade probably has the best tandum of running backs (Addesa/Kaiser) in 6A, then throw in some option with John Wilson. This Meade team has the potential to repeat, this time hopefully Meade gets the correct call. So to your point, the Male game is just one game it will not have any effect on the playoffs for Meade. I do predict a closer score than last year. However, I will agree Male has a easier path this year than Meade.
I have to agree with the original poster that 3-0 Meade appears to be a Pretender. Their three opponents are a combined 0-12 on the year and the Green Wave barely beat a John Hardin team that appears to be way down.

The comment on Male's path being easier than Meade's is puzzling. If Male didn't have to get past St X/Trinity/Manual just to make it out of the region I might agree with you.

as in worse?
Yeah lost a few GREAT seniors last year. Can't replace those type of kids.

"The comment on Male's path being easier than Meade's is puzzling. If Male didn't have to get past St X/Trinity/Manual just to make it out of the region I might agree with you."

I was really looking at the district Meade will play (District 7) in the playoffs vs the district (District 1) Male faces in the playoffs. I believe district 7 is a tougher district than district 1. Plus Central Hardin is in our district as well. But yes, eventually the super teams will face one another at one point to win the region and that will be a tough game. I agree Male is the class of 6A right now and the 6A championship is their's to lose. But hey, they were last year as well.

To your point "Their three opponents are a combined 0-12 on the year and the Green Wave barely beat a John Hardin team that appears to be way down." Hey Doss is a very athletic team with a D-1 commit. John hardin bearly lost to Seneca and just beat a solid 6A team in PRP, not to mention the game against JH was not nearly as close as the score. Jtown is moving up to 6A next year and scored 14 points on 6A leader Male. Yes, I will concide Breck Co wasn't much of a game but they are working hard to improve. It's not Meade's fault these teams don't have better records.

There is 32 teams in 6A, only 18 have winning records. There is 37 teams in 5A and only 17 having winning records. Meade is not the only team playing teams with losing records. In my opinion, competitive football is on a decline in Kentucky. Just look at the scores on any given friday. There are really only a few real down to the wire games. That's why we have a low number of D-1 recruits playing for elite college teams and why local teams are playing teams outside the state.

"The comment on Male's path being easier than Meade's is puzzling. If Male didn't have to get past St X/Trinity/Manual just to make it out of the region I might agree with you."

I was really looking at the district Meade will play (District 7) in the playoffs vs the district (District 1) Male faces in the playoffs. I believe district 7 is a tougher district than district 1. Plus Central Hardin is in our district as well. But yes, eventually the super teams will face one another at one point to win the region and that will be a tough game. I agree Male is the class of 6A right now and the 6A championship is their's to lose. But hey, they were last year as well.

To your point "Their three opponents are a combined 0-12 on the year and the Green Wave barely beat a John Hardin team that appears to be way down." Hey Doss is a very athletic team with a D-1 commit. John hardin bearly lost to Seneca and just beat a solid 6A team in PRP, not to mention the game against JH was not nearly as close as the score. Jtown is moving up to 6A next year and scored 14 points on 6A leader Male. Yes, I will concide Breck Co wasn't much of a game but they are working hard to improve. It's not Meade's fault these teams don't have better records.

There is 32 teams in 6A, only 18 have winning records. There is 37 teams in 5A and only 17 having winning records. Meade is not the only team playing teams with losing records. In my opinion, competitive football is on a decline in Kentucky. Just look at the scores on any given friday. There are really only a few real down to the wire games. That's why we have a low number of D-1 recruits playing for elite college teams and why local teams are playing teams outside the state.
Meade is a product of a weak schedule. PRP, my alma mater, terrible this year. Doss, who was real promising during the spring, terrible this year. John Hardin, who is usually a 5A power, terrible this year.

You're right it's not Meade fault the teams they've played can't win, but when has that ever been excuse for a team????

In Kentucky, your record means nothing. It's all about the playoffs. Go look how many undefeated teams make it to the playoffs then get crushed in state of semi state. It's how things work around here to my knowledge.

Well Common...sports, Don't really know how to take "Meade is a product of a weak schedule." I don't remember you coming out to Meade to watch a game. Really if not for a bad call Meade maybe wearing a championship ring. Male teams have not been exactly playing St X or Trinity every week. So far the teams they have played have a 5-13 combined record.

Well Common...sports, Don't really know how to take "Meade is a product of a weak schedule." I don't remember you coming out to Meade to watch a game. Really if not for a bad call Meade maybe wearing a championship ring. Male teams have not been exactly playing St X or Trinity every week. So far the teams they have played have a 5-13 combined record.
You're right about Male's strength of schedule so far in 2014. The next five games will tell the tale.

I watched Meade play at Male tonight. Very good team who came to play tonight. They have a great defense, really fly to the ball, and are a great tackling team. Their offense is a little one dimensional.

ADVERTISEMENT