ADVERTISEMENT

Contender or Pretender

Commonwealthsports

KP All-Pro
Dec 11, 2012
Let's play this game. Name a team. State their status as contender or pretender. Write a sentence, or two, about why you feel that way.

It's really early in the season. So this will be fun to look back at later. That also means a lot of the predictions will sound and look absurd in late October, early November.

Things to take into account when looking at this list: These are all my thoughts. Schools are CONTENDER or PRETENDER based on their chances to win their class' state title. This is just for fun!

Caldwell Co. -- CONTENDER

How many points can we score in a game? That's the question all teams who play the Tigers should be asking themselves because they're going to dump a lot on you. Still No. 1 in my book in 2A.

DeSales -- CONTENDER

I believe the Colts can go back to back. This defense means business and I think there is sufficient offense to out score opponents who will be smothered with their stingy D.

Glasgow -- PRETENDER

After a loss last week to Barren Co. I'm not feeling the Scotties as much as I once was. Their status as a pretender isn't quite sealed yet. Maybe it's just that I had very high expectations for this team and after last week's loss I'm over thinking it.

Newport Central Catholic -- CONTENDER

It doesn't matter how many games the Thoroughbreds lose this season to out-of-class opponents. Once they get into the playoffs watch out. NewCath also misses DeSales or Caldwell until the state championship.

Belfry -- CONTENDER

Belfry is, of course, Belfry.

Paducah Tilghman -- CONTENDER

Man, I hope this limb I'm out on doesn't snap. I still believe once in the playoffs Tilghman is still going to be a factor.

South Warren -- CONTENDER

Even though their schedule thus far hasn't been that tough the manner in which the games have been won is enough to make a believer.

Bourbon Co. -- CONTENDER

With Bolin at quarterback I think the sky is the limit for the Colonels. Coach Hodge runs a good system and that has the propensity to win a lot of ball games.

Boyle Co. -- CONTENDER

Boyle will be Boyle -- always near the top in 4A.

Lexington Catholic -- PRETENDER

LexCath's loss to Lafayette should have been much, much worse. New coach and the loss of an all-state tight end might be too much for the Knights this year. But I do think Coach Perry will have success there for years to come, just not this year.

Highlands -- CONTENDER

The Bluebirds aren't the most talented team, by their standards this year, but a "down year" in Ft. Thomas is better than most's any other year.

Covington Catholic -- PRETENDER

I know the Colonels are ranked first in the Litkenhous rankings, but after a complete dismantling from Moeller (Oh) I'm having my doubts. I didn't expect them to win the game but I did expect more fight from CovCath.

Bowling Green -- CONTENDER

I had my doubts going into the season with the mass exodus that took place last year. Though after thrashing LexCath and holding off St. X I think the Purples are for real.

Warren Central -- PRETENDER

I really like what Coach Feggins has done in year one. With that said, the Dragons aren't on the top shelf of 5A teams, just yet.

Madison Southern -- CONTENDER

Damien Harris is still there, correct? As long as No. 34 is suiting up for the navy and orange MadSouth is a contender, in my book.

Pulaski Co. -- CONTENDER

There's a whole lot of guys returning from a Pulaski team who made it to the state championship last year. A lot of young talent as well. Pulaski is a contender now and will be one for the foreseeable future.

McCracken Co, -- PRETENDER

I want to start by saying this Mustang team is a good one stocked with talent. You know that classic break-up line "It's not you, it's me"? That's about where I stand with this prediction. Having to play the Super District in Region 1 this year is my real reasoning behind this prediction.

Meade Co. -- PRETENDER

3-0 and coming off a state championship appearance I still don't believe in the Green Wave. Their real test will be when they make the trip to Louisville to take on Male. They make a statement there I'll believe. I'll believe that. I'll believe that Meade. I'll believe that Meade could win.

Seneca -- PRETENDER

Love what Coach Boyd has done there. Seneca is a good ball club, they just don't matchup well with most of 6A numbers and size wise. But don't think the Redhawks can't pull of an upset or two. This roster is talented at the skill positions.

Male -- CONTENDER

Male has everything this year -- a sturdy line, great skill players, a good QB and a hungry defense. Anything less that a state title for the Bulldogs would be an underachievement.

Trinity -- CONTENDER

The 'Rocks will get all of their bumps out during the out-of-state part of their schedule and be ready for Male come district play. A new defense could help the Rocks get back on top.

St. Xavier -- PRETENDER

St. X isn't at the same level with Trinity or Male right now.

Simon Kenton -- PRETENDER

Simon Kenton will probably go undefeated into the playoffs and might even make a big run in the playoffs. But I believe that's a product of a weak schedule and once they run into on the big dogs in 6A they'll lose.

Dunbar -- PRETENDER

This next stretch of their schedule will prove how good they really are. For now I'm going with my gut.

Scott Co. -- PRETENDER

I didn't think Scott Co. would repeat to begin the year and now with Miller out of the lineup I think it spells bad news for the Cardinals.

Lafayette -- PRETENDER

After watching their game against LexCath, I'm of the thinking that Lafayette is too undisciplined to compete for a state title. They're talented enough to do it, but you can't shoot yourself in the foot as they did so often with asinine penalties.

This post was edited on 9/10 10:25 AM by Commonwealthsports

This post was edited on 9/10 10:28 AM by Commonwealthsports

I will disagree on a few for the sake of discussion:

Paducah Tilghman= PRETENDER. I was shocked how small Tilghman was, especially up front. The one constant in 3A is in order to win the Title..or even reach the Finals... you better have a physical defense that can shut down an offense and you need to be very solid up front. Tilghman has neither. They have a very weak region but they will be a marked underdog against South Warren and slim to no chance to overcome their Semi-Final foe or Final foe.

Covington Catholic- CONTENDER. You cite a dismantling to Moeller but you leave out the fact Mo is possibly a Top 50 team in the Nation. There are only a couple teams who should even be able to hang with Moeller in Kentucky this year and neither of those teams are in 4A. The fact remains for the better part of 6 or 7 years there have been two teams apart from the rest in their class and that is CovCath and Highlands. Highlands isn't as good as year's past so the door is open for CovCath.

Madison Southern- PRETENDER. Harris is a monster...a true game changer. No doubt about that. The problem is Mad. Southern is a very mediocre team with a generational player. This is not the recipe for Championship team. Much like Tim Couch at Leslie County a single player can only take you so far in the playoffs once you start playing great teams... Harris may be good for one playoff upset, but eventually the luck will wear out without a supporting cast.

Originally posted by EKUAlum05:

Paducah Tilghman= PRETENDER. I was shocked how small Tilghman was, especially up front. The one constant in 3A is in order to win the Title..or even reach the Finals... you better have a physical defense that can shut down an offense and you need to be very solid up front. Tilghman has neither. They have a very weak region but they will be a marked underdog against South Warren and slim to no chance to overcome their Semi-Final foe or Final foe.

Covington Catholic- CONTENDER. You cite a dismantling to Moeller but you leave out the fact Mo is possibly a Top 50 team in the Nation. There are only a couple teams who should even be able to hang with Moeller in Kentucky this year and neither of those teams are in 4A. The fact remains for the better part of 6 or 7 years there have been two teams apart from the rest in their class and that is CovCath and Highlands. Highlands isn't as good as year's past so the door is open for CovCath.

Madison Southern- PRETENDER. Harris is a monster...a true game changer. No doubt about that. The problem is Mad. Southern is a very mediocre team with a generational player. This is not the recipe for Championship team. Much like Tim Couch at Leslie County a single player can only take you so far in the playoffs once you start playing great teams... Harris may be good for one playoff upset, but eventually the luck will wear out without a supporting cast.
Did that limb from under me snap on PT. I'm just going with my gut on this one.

Covington Catholic is good but I don't believe they can win a state championship. Though I also said their bball team didn't have a chance either. Look how that turned out for me.

I stay by my Madison Southern pick. I Harris looks like AP. I really believe they can beat anyone with him and I think it makes the rest of their team believe as well.

Lizard -- Now I need to see some from you! Let's hear it!

EKUalum -- also Madison Southern really only needs one or two upsets to win it all should be favored or close to it in every game besides maybe Bowling Green in the final.

I have seen DeSales and Caldwell County play once this year, what I see for DeSales is a good offense and very good defense, if you line up with two tight ends and try to run at them, they will shut you down, however their secondary leaves something to be desired, they have not seen or will not see an air attack like that of Caldwell County until it happens, no team will hold the Tigers offense down and not many will run on DeSales, should be a great game if it happens.

Originally posted by roughriverkat:
I have seen DeSales and Caldwell County play once this year, what I see for DeSales is a good offense and very good defense, if you line up with two tight ends and try to run at them, they will shut you down, however their secondary leaves something to be desired, they have not seen or will not see an air attack like that of Caldwell County until it happens, no team will hold the Tigers offense down and not many will run on DeSales, should be a great game if it happens.
Talked about the potential matchup all morning on Twitter.

DeSales must get to Sindelar with pass rush or it will be a shoot out and no one wants that with Caldwell.

Originally posted by Commonwealthsports:

Did that limb from under me snap on PT. I'm just going with my gut on this one.

Covington Catholic is good but I don't believe they can win a state championship. Though I also said their bball team didn't have a chance either. Look how that turned out for me.

I stay by my Madison Southern pick. I Harris looks like AP. I really believe they can beat anyone with him and I think it makes the rest of their team believe as well.

Lizard -- Now I need to see some from you! Let's hear it!
Mad. Sou. will be a decided dog against Pulaski County in the regular season and the playoffs. Think they breeze past the 1 seed from the opposite district though.

To win a Title they will need to upset Pulaski, have a coin toss game in the Semi's, then be an underdog in the Finals. Is it out of the realm of possibilities they make that run? Of course not.. stranger things have happened. With that said can you name the last time a team won a State Title in a larger classification that was essentially a one man show?

Excellent post though! Very good fodder for debate!

EKUalum -- I agree with some of that but I believe Harris is surely enough to win a title on his own. 8, or 9 in the box doesn't stop this guys. Ias for Pulaski, if they wouldn't have played in a mud bowl last year I believe MadSouth prevails. Then that convo isn't entertained by anyone. I also think it may be a bit of a disservice to say MadSouth is a one pony show. They do have two kids I believe are 1-AA talent and the rest are average joes. I know as well as anyone 1-AA talent in Kentucky is pretty good.

Also wanted to say I'm glad someone replied with their honest opinion. See people on this board can have a difference of opinion on this board and refrain from cutting someone down. There is hope afterall!!!

I just commented on the one's I disagreed with........

Caldwell Co. -- Pretender...can't play D = Can't win a championship

Paducah Tilghman -- Total Pretender...heck I don't even think they're pretending. no horses right now for the Blue Mikes.

South Warren -- Pretender...we all fell for the sucker schedule last year...fool us twice and we're the fools!

Bourbon Co. -- Pretender...got waxed by an average Warren Central team that turned around the next week and got waxed themselves.

Lexington Catholic -- Contender...They are Caldwell Co. with a smidgen of Defense, which is what makes one a Pretender to me and the other a Contender.

Covington Catholic -- Contender...they may be the best team in the state by the time it is over. Cov. Cath folks don't beat their chest unless they know they have something special. They've been beating their chest for awhile about this and next year's team.

Madison Southern -- Pretender...great team...no way they beat Pulaski Co.

St. Xavier -- Contender...because they can play D and really, nobody in Louisville is head and shoulders above the others right now.

EKUalum -- I agree with some of that but I believe Harris is surely enough to win a title on his own. 8, or 9 in the box doesn't stop this guys. Ias for Pulaski, if they wouldn't have played in a mud bowl last year I believe MadSouth prevails. Then that convo isn't entertained by anyone. I also think it may be a bit of a disservice to say MadSouth is a one pony show. They do have two kids I believe are 1-AA talent and the rest are average joes. I know as well as anyone 1-AA talent in Kentucky is pretty good.

Also wanted to say I'm glad someone replied with their honest opinion. See people on this board can have a difference of opinion on this board and refrain from cutting someone down. There is hope afterall!!!
The beauty is we will get to all see if MS's chances are for real on National Television! One thing is for sure Harris is in elite company in terms of being a once in a generation talent.

I made the comparison to Couch but to be honest it may not be fair. Couch's career ended at the hands of a VERY good Highlands team in the Semi's and I am not sure anyone in 5A this year is as good as that Highlands team. I thought about Shaun Alexander and he is probably the better comparison. Alexander was able to lead his Boone County team to the Finals though.

On a side note... I don't know if you have had the chance to lay eyes on Belfry, but this is a team who will be worth watching the next couple seasons, especially on the recruiting front. The Pirates have two Sophomores with major upside in Bentley and Horton. RayQuan Horton may very well be the best defensive tackle in the Bluegrass as a Sophomore. He was dominant in the 3A playoffs last year and has continued to this season. Last week he was matched up against Harlan County's Zak Caldwell who was All-State last year and part of the LHL's Class of the Commonwelath and he had 14 tackles in 3 Quarters of action.

...Couch's career ended at the hands of a VERY good Highlands team in the Semi's and I am not sure anyone in 5A this year is as good as that Highlands team...
That was actually a VERY average Highlands team. Their best players were all Soph.'s and Jr.'s and the middle school kids that they had coming. They were the preview of Muller's ability to get his teams to the Finals but minus the talent that would make them dominant for the next 19 years.

I would ague that both BG and Pulaski from this year would beat that Highlands team by 14 or more point. JMHO

As a life long Tilghman fan, this year I would have to consider us neither contender or pretender.
Although I look forward to our continued improvement and growth under our new staff, we simply do not have the size, personnel, or depth this year we have had luxury to in recent years.
If we stay healthy, we may be able to make some strides by the end of the year, but there is a long hard road in front of us.

Originally posted by truebluefan89:
As a life long Tilghman fan, this year I would have to consider us neither contender or pretender.
Although I look forward to our continued improvement and growth under our new staff, we simply do not have the size, personnel, or depth this year we have had luxury to in recent years.
If we stay healthy, we may be able to make some strides by the end of the year, but there is a long hard road in front of us.
That's the thing though it's one or the other. I'm of the belief they can and will. Hence my pick as a contender.

Regardless of who beat Couch or Alexander, no 5A team is THAT great this year, besides maybe Bowling Green -- which the jury is still out with the Purples. The game which will be featured on ESPN between Madison Southern and Pulaski Co. is going to be of vast importance. Who ever wins that game will get the next one -- likely the region final -- at home.

pretender

I don't alot of people in Glasgow ever really thought this team would be a contender, yes Trigg is a great running back but everyone will stack the line and dare us to throw and we don't even have time to do that. there really isn't even a jr. class so next year will be a rough year also, after that look out they will be bad news and a real contender.

You can believe it would be different if it wasn't a mud bowl but you'd be wrong. The night they played AT Madison Southern ON TURF Pulaski prevailed anyway.

Meade Co. -- PRETENDER

"3-0 and coming off a state championship appearance I still don't believe in the Green Wave. Their real test will be when they make the trip to Louisville to take on Male. They make a statement there I'll believe. I'll believe that. I'll believe that Meade. I'll believe that Meade could win."

I guess for history sake. Meade lost to Male last year (42-14 or something), but I believe it was Meade in the 6A Championship Finals not Male. With the way the play-off system is setup this year it could be the same result this year. Male has to proven they can get out of the super-district first. Meade probably has the best tandum of running backs (Addesa/Kaiser) in 6A, then throw in some option with John Wilson. This Meade team has the potential to repeat, this time hopefully Meade gets the correct call. So to your point, the Male game is just one game it will not have any effect on the playoffs for Meade. I do predict a closer score than last year. However, I will agree Male has a easier path this year than Meade.

Moeller would blow out every single team in Kentucky this season. That is all.

Originally posted by Adopted Purple:

Originally posted by nptb:
Thanks for the update! Also, who cares?
What Purple said.
You called Covington Catholic a pretender because they were blown out by Moeller. Highlands beat Campbell County 23 to 16 and had to hang on for a win but they are a contender.

What Purple said.
You called Covington Catholic a pretender because they were blown out by Moeller. Highlands beat Campbell County 23 to 16 and had to hang on for a win but they are a contender.
Well, It is Highlands! You can't ever count them out. I say Katy Texas would blow out every single team in Ohio this season. That is all.

What Purple said.
Well, It is Highlands! You can't ever count them out. I say Katy Texas would blow out every single team in Ohio this season. That is all.
St. Edward!! Thanks for playing. Check them out when you get a chance. They will be the number 1 ranked squad in the country this week.

What Purple said.
St. Edward!! Thanks for playing. Check them out when you get a chance. They will be the number 1 ranked squad in the country this week.
This isn't OHIO Preps, it's KENTUCKY Preps.

What Purple said.
Campbell Co, is an okay team this year and I'm still think there's no way Cov Cath gets passed Highlands.

This post was edited on 9/15 8:14 AM by Commonwealthsports

OHS - Contender

- Even after a heart breaking loss I think OHS opened the eyes of several people around the state. If anything it had to be one of Bowling Green's hardest fought wins in quite sometime - how many times the last 3 years have they had to come from behind and win? I'd say not many... Although many people around these parts have been saying it for a while now - OHS is for real! Given that they do have a few things to clean up - I would say that OHS barring any injuries they will have a helluva shot a making it to the 4A state title game.

OHS is still...

runningdown-a-dream.jpg

Originally posted by thelizardking1:
OHS - Contender

- Even after a heart breaking loss I think OHS opened the eyes of several people around the state. If anything it had to be one of Bowling Green's hardest fought wins in quite sometime - how many times the last 3 years have they had to come from behind and win? I'd say not many... Although many people around these parts have been saying it for a while now - OHS is for real! Given that they do have a few things to clean up - I would say that OHS barring any injuries they will have a helluva shot a making it to the 4A state title game.

OHS is still...

ec
I tend to agree with you. The Devils are going to be a hard out for anyone this year come playoff time.

In my mind, I want to fully confirm how good or bad Highlands is before claiming anyone else is a contender in 4A. We'll find out a lot more about 4A on September 26 when Cov Cath rolls into Ft. Thomas. Until, then I'll remain neutral on all 4A teams aside from Boyle.

I really and truly feel that everyone in 4A top 10 is a contender this year. I think 4A is pretty equal and will be very hard to win on the road thru the playoffs.

Originally posted by tommy2tone:
I really and truly feel that everyone in 4A top 10 is a contender this year. I think 4A is pretty equal and will be very hard to win on the road thru the playoffs.
I agree with you. Franklin - Simpson will be the biggest obstacle for OHS on this side of the state. Warren East may have a say in it - Lexington Catholic will be there in the end - Cov Cath etc. Yea I would say 4A is pretty wide open but I still think OHS still should be one of the favorites to get there.

What Purple said.
Campbell Co, is an okay team this year and I'm still think there's no way Cov Cath gets passed Highlands.

Highlands had 1 defensive lineman that could wreck an entire offense. He is out for awhile and now they don't have any resistance. I've seen both squads up close. Covington Catholic doesn't lose to Highlands just because they are Highlands. They lose because they are less talented. This season, they are more talented at every position except for qb.

The Highlands qb is a typical Highlands qb. A gamer. They have one really, really fast wide receiver who drops more balls than he should. After that they are average. I've seen every Highlands team for I don't know how long and this team is comparable to the 2003, 2004 and 2005 teams.

What Purple said.

Highlands had 1 defensive lineman that could wreck an entire offense. He is out for awhile and now they don't have any resistance. I've seen both squads up close. Covington Catholic doesn't lose to Highlands just because they are Highlands. They lose because they are less talented. This season, they are more talented at every position except for qb.

The Highlands qb is a typical Highlands qb. A gamer. They have one really, really fast wide receiver who drops more balls than he should. After that they are average. I've seen every Highlands team for I don't know how long and this team is comparable to the 2003, 2004 and 2005 teams.
I guess we'll find out in two weeks.

Highlands defense last year was very sketchy. Unless they have made significant strides on that side of the ball, Owensboro has to be a contender. BG's defense is much better than Highlands and OHS didn't have much trouble moving the ball or scoring. IMHO this is the best Offensive line I can remember going back to a great O-line on the state championship team. I have to believe the loss of Dale Mueller hits them somewhat. They came back to beat Bryan Station 47-41 and beat Campbell County 23-16. Both of these teams are pretty good, but in latter years, those would have been a throttling under Mueller.

CONTENDER Owensboro

This comment lets me know exactly how much Pulaski football you have experienced. You don't honestly believe Pulaski played their "A" game in the mud bowl last year do you? Mad South saw a C or a D game at best. It will be no different this year.

Originally posted by Wildcat_18:
This comment lets me know exactly how much Pulaski football you have experienced. You don't honestly believe Pulaski played their "A" game in the mud bowl last year do you? Mad South saw a C or a D game at best. It will be no different this year.
I don't think anyone plays their best game in the mud, player/parent/coach of Pulaski.

I don't think anyone plays their best game in the mud, player/parent/coach of Pulaski.
Wrong/wrong/wrong. Just for the record, I would also say wrong on your comment as well. Some teams pray for mud depending on their competition.

Wrong/wrong/wrong. Just for the record, I would also say wrong on your comment as well. Some teams pray for mud depending on their competition.
Yeah like a running back whos game is predicated on his cuts and shiftiness.

Yeah like a running back whos game is predicated on his cuts and shiftiness.
I agree with you. It's more exciting to watch, that's for sure. However, I'll take a TEAM can keep it all together for a win regardless of the conditions of the game over that one INDIVIDUAL player any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Uh, PC beat Madison Southern on TURF by 3...they won by 4 in the mud.

You're arguing that Pulaski was hurt by the mud and Madison Southern was aided by it. That doesn't seem to be reflected in the scores.

Originally posted by W.E. Raider:
Uh, PC beat Madison Southern on TURF by 3...they won by 4 in the mud.

You're arguing that Pulaski was hurt by the mud and Madison Southern was aided by it. That doesn't seem to be reflected in the scores.
I understand what you mean. I didn't say anything about MS being aided. It's a level playing field for both in my opinion. Others seem to think that the mud bowl only affected Harris. See the thread titled "Power Rankings" for my further explanation. The fact still remains...Pulaski 2, Madison Southern 0 last season...regardless of how you spin it. On turf, on grass, in the mud, on the moon. Until proven otherwise.

ADVERTISEMENT