ADVERTISEMENT

Championship Thread: Mayfield-Williamsburg

Mayfield won 2A State Championships in 1977,1978, 1985, 1986, 1993.

Mayfield won two 1A State Championships during the four class years.

Mayfield has been winning football games for a Looooooong time.. They will be okay.

Originally posted by macdon:
Mayfield won 2A State Championships in 1977,1978, 1985, 1986, 1993.

Mayfield won two 1A State Championships during the four class years.

Mayfield has been winning football games for a Looooooong time.. They will be okay.
Educated.

My heart says Williamsburg, but my head says Mayfield. Have some friends playing for Williamsburg, good luck to those guys.

Not so fast! The last time Mayfield played a team two years in a row (Hazard), the second time around had a quite different outcome than the first meeting.

Originally posted by Bomber Backer:
Not so fast! The last time Mayfield played a team two years in a row (Hazard), the second time around had a quite different outcome than the first meeting.
That is the most fool proof method of predicting a winner I have ever read.

Taking that theory to Las Vegas. Gonna clean them out.

This post was edited on 12/4 9:59 AM by macdon

Originally posted by Bomber_Backer:
Anything is possible, that Mayfield team that year was without our best defensive and offensive player, Jonathan Jackson from the week before, we were just keeping that under wraps. This year is a different story, the team is right at 100% for sure and while Williamsburg is improved somewhat from last year, I don't feel its enough to keep up with Mayfield this year.

This post was edited on 12/3 11:51 AM by gobigredMHS

Williamsburg has been counting the days since last December. The Yellowjackets have one of the best passing games in the state. I think Williamsburg beats Mayfield the 2nd time around 35-28.

Originally posted by macdon:

Originally posted by Bomber Backer:
That is the most fool proof method of predicting a winner I have ever read.

Taking that theory to Las Vegas. Gonna clean them out.

This post was edited on 12/4 9:59 AM by macdon

I really messed this up the first time around....

Originally posted by Adopted Purple:
Williamsburg has been counting the days since last December. The Yellowjackets have one of the best passing games in the state. I think Williamsburg beats Mayfield the 2nd time around 35-28.
This has to be sarcasm, Caldwell had a much better passing game than Williamsburg, Beechwood did too.

Originally posted by gobigredMHS:
Originally posted by Adopted Purple:
This has to be sarcasm, Caldwell had a much better passing game than Williamsburg, Beechwood did too.
I'm from Whitley County. Just a little brotherly love.

History does repeat itself, & since you are desperate for a prediction give me Mayfield 31-14. Williamsburg does several things better than last year, & if Mayfield's D keeps playing like it has my prediction may be way off. So, yes history will repeat itself for the third year in a row. Mayfield will leave BG with the gold ball for the third year in a row. Is this "owned" enough for you?

There isn't anyone in western kentucky that can consistently beat mayfield. I'd say there are less than a handful, maybe only DeSales that can in the entire state. And that's any class. Male, Trinity, st.x, bowling green and the like but not many others.

Mayfield 0
Williamsburg 0 end of the 1st quarter

Mayfield ran just 3 offensive plays in the opening frame. Williamsburg is driving deep into Mayfield territory.

Sky Griffith strikes first with a 12-yard scamper for a Yellowjackets touchdown on their opening play in the 2nd quarter.

Williamsburg 7
Mayfield 0 11:53 left in the 2nd quarter

Two 3-and-outs for Mayfield's offense. 6 plays ran, -6 yards. Definitely a different game than last year's championship game between these 2 teams.

Jordon Tyler's kickoff return close to midfield gave Mayfield good field position. Johnny Hernandez punches it in from 1-yd out.

Williamsburg 10
Mayfield 7 3:29 left in the 2nd quarter

Williamsburg fumbles the ensuing kickoff, recovered by Mayfield on the 25-yd line. Trajon Bright scoots into the endzone from 2-yds out.

Mayfield 14
Williamsburg 10 0:52 left in the 2nd quarter

Mayfield 14
Williamsburg 10 HALFTIME

Both of the Cardinals TD's were results of the special teams giving them a short field. Williamsburg's offense has out gained & more than doubled Mayfield's: 141 / 64 yards.

I'm surprised that the Yellowjackets were able to contain Trajon Bright. Although he does have a short TD run, he only has 31 rushing yards on 12 attempts.

ADVERTISEMENT