ADVERTISEMENT

UK v. UF game

thelizardking1

KP All-Pro
Dec 5, 2012
Is it too late to jump on the "bandwagon" with this UK team? If that is possible to jump on a wagon after a loss.

Some of you may have thought I was a UK hater - but that is simply not true. I have been a UK football fan for a long time - although my loyalty for WKU runs much deeper monetarily(as some of you can understand). I must admit that was the most heart, fight and determination I have seen out of any UK football team in a very long time - it was one of the better college football games I've seen in a while. I will also say I once doubted Mark Stoops capability as a head coach but those doubts no longer exist. He had this UK team prepared to go into the swamp and win - he is really starting to change the culture in and around the program. I will also say I am ashamed to admit that in recent years I have not followed UK football like I should - to me it's hard to watch a team play as bad as they have the last few years. I really think those times are over - I hope. I don't really buy into the whole "moral victory" but I do think this is something to build on - I hope this is a reflection of where UK football is going and not how far Florida has fallen.

A few things I took away from this game....

- I should have never doubted Pat Towles his leadership, QB play or his will to win
- I should have never doubted Stoops, Brown or the rest of the staff
- Matt Elam is still BIG as hell - he looked better
- Timmons may be a slot/receiver but he still runs the ball
- Jason Hatcher can play anywhere in the SEC
- Future looks bright with so many underclassmen playing in this game

This post was edited on 9/15 8:41 AM by thelizardking1

See those guys complete was pretty cool. I mean all the guys who were making plays were guys Stoops brought in. How about the Kentucky boy, Neal Brown, and his offense? Brown deserves as much credit as possible for Kentucky's success during this game. Play calling better for Kentucky than it has been for years, (So glad there weren't bubble screens thrown on third down and more than seven) The way the young guys played should give people the most hope for the future. Now I'm certain more than ever Damien Harris will walk into a large roll at Kentucky, should he choose the Wildcats.

If that 4&7 play where the play clock runs out doesn't make you cringe as all the times before a victory has been ripped out from under Kentucky, I don't know what will.

How about Garrett Johnson? All recruiting cycle it was about Dorian Baker and Thad Snoddgrass, but Johnson -- the Florida native -- has the huge game.

Everyone is now seeing Jason Hatcher perform at a high level. While he made several good plays he, like everyone else, has some ways to go. Killed Kentucky on a missed containment on third down in the fourth quarter. But those are things that can be fixed.

Lastly, these Cats won't give in until the final whistle, I believe.

With all that said, I don't believe in moral victories, not even for a program that hasn't won a conference game in two years. And for all the guys who played well it was Kentucky's biggest star, Bud Dupree, who disappeared. That dropped-ball problem the Cats had last year sure came back to haunt them in a major way late. Timmons dropped one, as did Baker and Johnson.

Overall. Kentucky should build on this tough loss.

Commonwealthsports - I believe with everything you've said - the play calling was a lot better and it seemed like they called plays to "win" instead of "not to lose" - make sense? Even though the CAY-UTs didn't win I walked away from that game feeling good - as I am sure A LOT of UK football fans did. I am sure that loss hurt the players and the staff more than it hurt the UK fan base. UK football players can hold their heads high today as they walk to class - something to be proud of.

Okay - this is the 4 & 7 play you are talking about - I heard so many damn people saying how UK got "screwed". I just don't think that is the case here. As you can see in the picture below #76 is the center and it appears in the picture the is arm/hand is between his legs - normally before a center has snapped the ball his arm is out stretched in front of his body. It doesn't appear to be like that is this picture. I believe he got the ball off the absolute very last mila second - as long as the ball has moved it is not a delay of game. #76 almost appears to be in a sort of "tackle" stance - if he was in a "TRUE" center position his pad level would be much lower - which leads me to believe he had snapped the ball.

Plus even if the delay of game was called here the ball game is not over - who knows what would had happened on the very next play. Also well versed "football people" know that being that bunched up close to the end zone sometimes makes it harder to score. Taking them back even further may have helped them.

Last thing - in no way can you blame this loss on this "one" play. It is never just one play that loses you a football game!

Bxd0PboCUAEKF1j.jpg:large

This post was edited on 9/15 9:09 AM by thelizardking1

Originally posted by thelizardking1:
Commonwealthsports - I believe with everything you've said - the play calling was a lot better and it seemed like they called plays to "win" instead of "not to lose" - make sense? Even though the CAY-UTs didn't win I walked away from that game feeling good - as I am sure A LOT of UK football fans did. I am sure that loss hurt the players and the staff more than it hurt the UK fan base. UK football players can hold their heads high today as they walk to class - something to be proud of.

Okay - this is the 4 & 7 play you are talking about - I heard so many damn people saying how UK got "screwed". I just don't think that is the case here. As you can see in the picture below #76 is the center and it appears in the picture the is arm/hand is between his legs - normally before a center has snapped the ball his arm is out stretched in front of his body. It doesn't appear to be like that is this picture. I believe he got the ball off the absolute very last mila second - as long as the ball has moved it is not a delay of game. #76 almost appears to be in a sort of "tackle" stance - if he was in a "TRUE" center position his pad level would be much lower - which leads me to believe he had snapped the ball.

Can't wait to see when OHS gets a call like this in the playoffs. What will the lizardking do?

Lizardking running down during the game because of a call...

pathaden.0.gif

Muschamps Gator's are hardly a shadow of the teams that have beat UK for 29 years in row. Sure current gators have the luxury of being associated with the "Historical Gator" teams but that's where it stops...association. They are not a very good team at all.

Of course UK has the same association, although at the opposite end of the spectrum, so i can see why you're excited. Let's see what happens at SC, Ga, LSU if you want to have an SEC bar to compare to.

All that being said. you got screwed on the call but, hey, that's UK football for you!

Plus even if the delay of game was called here the ball game is not over - who knows what would had happened on the very next play. Also well versed "football people" know that being that bunched up close to the end zone sometimes makes it harder to score. Taking them back even further may have helped them.

Last thing - in no way can you blame this loss on this "one" play. It is never just one play that loses you a football game!

Have to disagree, Kentucky was hosed by the no call. It would have taken points off the board and given the Cats another shot at a stop that ends the game. If the 4&7 comes in the 3rd quarter maybe you have a point, but this could have ended the game on the next play. Kentucky was double covering Robinson and got caught on each other. That's not happening twice in a row, in my opinion.

Originally posted by Commonwealthsports:
Have to disagree, Kentucky was hosed by the no call. It would have taken points off the board and given the Cats another shot at a stop that ends the game. If the 4&7 comes in the 3rd quarter maybe you have a point, but this could have ended the game on the next play. Kentucky was double covering Robinson and got caught on each other. That's not happening twice in a row, in my opinion.
Okay - why hasn't anybody talked about the DB getting burnt or froze and why #11 was wide ass open!!! Stop the play and no "excuses" are necessary! Looked like all DB's were on islands - DB got beat! That is the story behind that play! Can't blame it on the officials. Just my opinion!

The link to the game is below - the play is at the 2:57:00 mark. Watch it and see for yourself. It's the safety's fault not the official's fault!

This post was edited on 9/15 10:36 AM by thelizardking1

UK v. UF 2014

That play did win or lose the game, but the officials did not do a good job of addressing it.
Had they handled it differently there would have been much less uproar.

Regardless, UK has made strides in leaps and bounds. Even though I have always been a UK fan, I too was suspicious of their early victories. Florida may be a bit "down" as compared to recent years, but no one walks into "the swamp" and comes out with an easy victory.
UK battled all the way thru, and managed to come out of there with a lot of newly garnered respect.

Originally posted by Commonwealthsports:

Watch the NFL on any given Sunday, the play clock will hit 0 numerous times without a flag.

What if the call wnet against Muschamp? Would this be the result and would lizardking be by his side?

Muschamp-RAEG-62.gif

Lizardking defending him...........

d00a77fc572ece9ca350a3038ca80270.gif

Florida lost half their starters to injury last season. UF is not the UF of old, but they are probably better than many think.

The delay of game no-call was an issue, but it wasn't the only way we could have came out with the win. I remember seeing Towles hit 2 receivers in the hands with a ball, where it was deflected by the WR and intercepted. We HAVE to catch those balls. Luck of the draw they were both picked off. Play of the game for me? The gravity defying kick. We'll get them next time. Here's to hoping we can pull of 1 or 2 we're not supposed to in the SEC and get to 6 for a bowl game.

Originally posted by SECHonk:

Good grief, stop it! It was funny the first time, but that's it.
For everyone who has been reading this thread - their reaaction when Green Nation post yet another GIF.....

"No not another one"

iAF3giPSbOFcu.gif

And then Green Nation's reaction....

"hmm oh really - here come another GIF"

tom-hanks.gif

Originally posted by Wildcat_18:
The delay of game no-call was an issue, but it wasn't the only way we could have came out with the win. I remember seeing Towles hit 2 receivers in the hands with a ball, where it was deflected by the WR and intercepted. We HAVE to catch those balls. Luck of the draw they were both picked off. Play of the game for me? The gravity defying kick. We'll get them next time. Here's to hoping we can pull of 1 or 2 we're not supposed to in the SEC and get to 6 for a bowl game.
Well! We have finally found something we agree on. I was shocked at the way Timmons played, especially early in the game. Towles' stats would have been much better, but he didn't let it bother him. I was really impressed with him. Trinity graduate Jason Hatcher was also big in the game.

Originally posted by Adopted Purple:

Originally posted by Wildcat_18:
Well! We have finally found something we agree on. I was shocked at the way Timmons played, especially early in the game. Towles' stats would have been much better, but he didn't let it bother him. I was really impressed with him. Trinity graduate Jason Hatcher was also big in the game.
LOL, yes sir! I would have liked to have seen Towles take more control on the ground in the 4th quarter, much like he did against Ohio the week before. I know Stoops said after that game that they were going to pull the reins on him running the ball that much. I think we could have pulled it out against Florida if he had a green light to keep it more than he did. I know we risk injury doing that, but I think that is a risk you take against a quality SEC team like Florida to get the win. I'm proud of the way Towles progressed during the off-season. Says a lot about him as a player that he has worked that hard to improve. Glad it has paid off. I have to admit, last year he may have been my least favorite QB on the roster. Everyone was better. Glad that has changed!

This post was edited on 9/18 12:20 PM by Wildcat_18

ADVERTISEMENT