ADVERTISEMENT

Trinity

Commonwealthsports

KP All-Pro
Dec 11, 2012
The 'Rocks start the year 0-1 once again.

Heard something this week that I haven't heard in my entire life: "Bob Beatty lost that game for Trinity." in regards to the 21-14 loss Trinity suffered on the road against Tennessee-power Ensworth.

Larry Harper started the game for THS and from what I'm told turned the ball over three times. I'm not sure if debuting a sophomore in a big out-of-state game was the brightest of ideas. Now, apparently Ryan Young has seized the starting role of quarterback at Trinity.

Running back Donald Brooks is doing something he hasn't done in his career up to this point in running the ball hard and not shying away from contact, for Trinity.

On the defensive side of the ball the people of St. Matthews seem to be very pleased. Play calls, adjustments and having the right players in the right places seem to all equate for a defense worth some praise. Especially after last year's lackluster effort.

Wasn't at the game to enter my opinion of what went down. So I'll leave that one alone. But it seems there's signs pointing both ways for Trinity.

I was at the game, Trinity's run defense was stout, they only allowed 70 yds rushing on 35 attempts, that's 2 yds a rush for you math majors(I kid). If you would of told me that stat before the game I would've guaranteed a T victory because Ensworth is a running power football team, they don't like to throw. The game was lost because of mistakes on Trinity's side, it wasn't due to a lack of effort. We had several fumbles, INT's, dropped passes at key moments, missed tackles on screens, etc etc. The biggest turning point in the game was when T lost it's composure in the 4th Q after a horrible call on 4th down and Ensworth's WR dropped the pass towards T's sidelines, the WR then covered it up and the ref called it complete giving Ensworth a 1st down. T's players went crazy over the call to no avail and proceeded to receive 2 15 yd penalties and then jumped offsides the next play giving Ensworth 35yards and the ball inside T's 10 which they then went up 21-7, huge turning point. After all of that T still had a chance to tie with the ball on Ensworth's 21 yd line with 1:21 to go but the drive stalled and that's the ballgame. If T just fixes the mistakes, executes better & keeps their composure from here on out they have a chance to be a very good ball club, maybe even a State Championship caliber ball club, we shall see. Go Rocks!

Losing by a touchdown on the road to the #1 ranked team in TN is hardly a reason to panic. I think our Rocks will be just fine this season!

Wasn't the fact that they lost by a touchdown to a good team it's that the 'Rocks beat themselves.

There's a lot to be decided between the team itself. Costly penalties are not the usual for Trinity football.

Not my words, but someone I spoke with seems to believe there's a lack of leadership in the locker room and among the senior class.

Something that can easily be fixed.

Trinity isn't even the best team in it's district this year...my, how the Rocks have fallen!
flush.r191677.gif

Trinity has, in my opinion, always been a bit overrated in the coaching category...while they are excellent coaches there, I think the product they have put on the field (see last year) when they don't have a wealth of talent or when their coaches step outside the green walls (see Coverdale's venture as a HC) has shown them to be just another "good " staff.

Originally posted by Touchdown...Jesus:

Trinity isn't even the best team in it's district this year...my, how the Rocks have fallen!
flush.r191677.gif
That doesn't say much. They're in the super district and Male is probably the best in the state.

What has happened to the Rocks offense, average by their standards last year and doesn't look much better this year.

I think it is about time the Rocks got a new recruiting coordinator. Oh wait, they only go after students not football players.

Originally posted by tommy2tone:
I think it is about time the Rocks got a new recruiting coordinator. Oh wait, they only go after students not football players.
Recruiting? According to their backers, the Rocks' success has always been due to them working harder than everyone else. Their recent struggles must be due to a slacking off in the work ethic in St. Matthews.

-----Waiting for Tank and the good Doc to weigh in on what is wrong with the Rocks, if anything-----

There isn't much wrong that can't be fixed. They have lost close games to the top rated teams from TN and IN. They have won 10 of the last 15 KY big school titles and 22 of the last 46. The offense needs a little polish. The defense looks pretty good. We'll be fine.

Another big one tonight against Imhotep Charter School (PA).

This could be a win Trinity really builds on. Regardless, I believe they're the second best team in the super district.

I'm really interested to see how this new defense stacks up against Male's passing attack.I guess we'll have to wait until Oct. 17 to find out.

Louisville Trinity will be fine. Their defense has been playing very well. They have some ball skill issues in the secondary but are nails everywhere else on defense. This team could easily be 2-0.

ADVERTISEMENT