ADVERTISEMENT

Tilghmans education continues..

U.C.CoalMiner

KP Rookie
Nov 23, 2009
...this Saturday at Ft. Thomas Highlands. Will be a long bus ride up and even longer coming back. But once again, the key is to stay healthy! Regardless of the score, the Tornado will be a better team for facing such compitition. After this game and the next (Henderson County) they should run the table and then have a week off (bye) before starting the playoffs. That bye week on October 31st gives them a chance to regroup, exhale, get healthy...etc. before the playoffs! If ever a team needs it, it would be this years Tilghman team. What a schedule. I still say if they win championships playing 3A and McCracken doesn't (Trinity and X in 6A), some of the players will come back to the City where they belong. They Mustangs have "state of the art" facilities and all the fancy equipment and uniforms but Tilghman doesn't take a back seat to too many schools. Plus, championships are the "skins on the wall". Bling glitters and runner ups are forgotten in a few years.

Tilghman will be just fine. I talked to several of the players last friday and its amazing the turn around since Mike Rogers took over. They love the "wing T". I do agree with Coalminer, the top priority is to stay healthy. if they survive the next couple weeks, the playoffs should be a cake walk until they meet Louisville Central (which is a little down this year). Go Big Blue!

Still don't think the top athletes will be headed to Tilghman, unless a parent went there. McCracken is the school in Paducah right now. And I'm sure the middle schoolers have taken notice. McCracken has the facilities as you said, the nike uni's and a score board with freakin' instant replay, for that matter.

They also are home to the best athlete in the far west by a mile in Zy'aire Hughes. Who, in the 'Stangs offense, gets to do things that make him look like a super star. And at Paducah they're running the Wing-T.............................................. sorry I fell asleep.

It's not like PT doesn't have the athleticism to run a spread or even the veer/pistol. I know the wing-T holds a place in all men over the age of 30's heart, but I don't think there are many teenagers who would share the same feelings.

4th -- I'd love to hear a little more about why these kids say they love the wing-t. I mean, it won the state championship for Scott Co. last year and even some of those kids hated it. Just curious because a lot of programs from the Louisville area have evolved out of the wing-t to the pistol and added some more spread concepts while keeping some wing-t values and runs. Seems to keep kids amused and win ball games while keeping the other team on their toes as to which way the ball is going an who gets it as the wing-t does.

A common misconception regarding the Wing T is that it is a run only offense. Not true.

Given the athletes a Wing T offense can do anything the players are capable of executing. Auburn's offense is a base Wing T. The defense has no good reads.

FS has been a Wing T team since 2010. Six or seven different players ran the ball last Friday night and the passing game was very effective. It is a good offense. It is sound and O linemen learn how to run block and pass block.

Originally posted by macdon:
A common misconception regarding the Wing T is that it is a run only offense. Not true.

Given the athletes a Wing T offense can do anything the players are capable of executing. Auburn's offense is a base Wing T. The defense has no good reads.

FS has been a Wing T team since 2010. Six or seven different players ran the ball last Friday night and the passing game was very effective. It is a good offense. It is sound and O linemen learn how to run block and pass block.
I know very well the waggles and play action passes of the wing t. They can be effective but it still doesn't turn heads or excite kids about running it.

Auburn's offense takes the exact path I wrote about last pistol/veer/spread type deal. And that what I believe Tilghman is capable of running. I also know the wing-t can be effective with athletes, but the question I still pose is "What athletes actually want to run it? And given a choice who would pick it over McCracken's spread attack?"

You can operate under the wing-t concepts without putting people to sleep running the three-back set.

What excites kids is winning and getting to play. The offense has little to do with it, even today. Whatever works, works... Wing-t, the spread, option... I don't think it matters as much. Put me in a program that wins and I'll run whatever...

Originally posted by UKJAK2:
What excites kids is winning and getting to play. The offense has little to do with it, even today. Whatever works, works... Wing-t, the spread, option... I don't think it matters as much. Put me in a program that wins and I'll run whatever...
Can't argue with this. Winning is the cure for anything.

After FS went to the Championship game in 2011 Tim Schlosser became principal at FS.

Doug Preston, who is 100% straight up a wing T man was named head coach. FS went 3-8 and there was a lot of grumbling.

Now the Cats have won 9 of their last 10. Guess what? Everyone has bought in and it's all smiles around Shadetree Stadium.

Ol Doug Preston is a whole lot smarter than he was in 2012.

Commonwealth,

I would venture to say that you will see Tilghman evolve to a spread wing t team in years to come, but in that offense, you have to start out up front and work your way back (under, to gun). I can't really explain it via this, but it just is. Almost any and all Wing T guys will tell you that.

Mac,

You all have a dandy for dang sure. But, Coach Preston is actually a Wishbone guy. Granted, the version of the wishbone I'm talking about isn't the wishbone most think about when they hear it. It's a non triple wishbone, and instead a power/misdirection version very much like....you guessed it, the Wing T. Doug probably has every concept that Marty Jaggers and Dudley Hilton have ever ran. They were on speed dial for most of his years. Which, like any aspiring coach...you go and learn from the best in the areas you are wanting to grasp. However, Coach Preston's Wing T roots also go back to Ray Graham, whom he worked for during college while coaching at Harrison County. I believe he ran it one year at Garrard County as their HC if I'm not mistaken.

Glad to see things Rock n Rolling in Franklin. You all have yourself a good one for sure! I know 2012 was rough, but knew it was just a matter of time before things took off. When a program rich in history and tradition, plus good athletes meets very good coaching....good things tend to happen.

Keep it going.

ADVERTISEMENT