State Cup Fields

Discussion in 'Kentucky Preps Soccer Forum' started by STLouisBBFan, May 28, 2017.

1. STLouisBBFan

STLouisBBFan KP All-Pro
    Expand Collapse

Why are none of the games, especially at least finals, being played on the turf fields at Etown?

2. warbeagle

warbeagle KP Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

I would guess that the turf is more expensive to rent/use. The grass fields in Etown would seem to be suitable for State Cup.

3. Yellow Card1

Yellow Card1 KP Rookie
    Expand Collapse

To my knowledge, the turf fields were only used for the U19/20 Boys semis. I definitely prefer the grass but don't feel the fields in E-town are large enough for the older ages. The U19/20 final was played on Field 5, the boys seemed to be too large and fast to be on that field.

4. warbeagle

warbeagle KP Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

good point. that would tend to jam them up a bit. A field that is too small for the age that is playing on it, makes for bad soccer.

5. STLouisBBFan

STLouisBBFan KP All-Pro
    Expand Collapse

My primary concern with the Etown fields was their size. I recalled keepers punting from box to box. That said, one of our dad's stepped off field #1 and got "60 paces" or 120 yard field. Assuming the turf fields are a football field with end zones = 120 yards, that can't be? I'm curious what the actual dimensions of the fields. At the end of the day, everyone plays on the same fields. The smaller fields reduce the importance of speed but should also reward the more skilled team that can work in tight space. My preference would be larger grass fields - unless someone can tell me that they are the same size which my eyes would disagree with.

6. Yellow Card1

Yellow Card1 KP Rookie
    Expand Collapse

It does make for a crowded field, I do disagree about it making for bad soccer. The smaller field tends to favor, and reward, the more skillful team.

7. Yellow Card1

Yellow Card1 KP Rookie
    Expand Collapse

The grass fields are not close to 120 yds, long, I am guessing that they are about 100 yds. The width is much easier to calculate, they appear to be right at 65 yards wide.

8. Goal15

Expand Collapse

Or teams that pack it in and boot it. Much easier to defend a more talented team on a small field.