ADVERTISEMENT

Owensboro Catholic vs Evansville Reitz

Aces Fan

KP Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2003
On paper this looks like a Reitz win but I think the Aces have enough to keep it close. Reitz destroyed Henderson last week and Catholic struggled with Daviess Co. I think the Aces are a much better team then they showed last week and they get a few guys back that were out last week. If the Catholic OL can give Warren some time this could get interesting.

Gotta agree with Aces Fan, I think they are a better team than their performance last week would indicate. Unless Reitz is a world beater this year, I think OC can hang with them and at least make it a close game.

Reitz dominated this game from the start. It was 28-0 Reitz at half. 34-0 final. Reitz milked the clock and ran the ball in the 2nd half. When was the last time Ocath was shut out, especially at home?

I thought if Catholic caught some breaks they could keep it close. I was wrong. Catholic did miss some really good scoring chances, including dropping TD passes on third and fourth down on the first possession.

I thought the Aces did a good job against the Reitz run game but the secondary had way to many breakdowns. The OL also had a tough time pass blocking and they were even worse run blocking.

I really like the front 7 on defense and I think the skill players are really good as well. I can't imagine they will play another team as good as Reitz the rest of the year so Edge will use this as a teaching game and I guarantee the issues we see right now will be fixed by the time the playoffs come around.

The besone teams in he lower classes always play against teams like Reitz for a reason. It makes them stronger. OC will improve and grow from that game and it will prepare them for the tough post season games. It's always easy to play a bunch of cupcakes to make your team feel strong, but it actually just makes you soft. Playing good teams makes you better, even if you take it on the chin from time to time.

As Daddy said, OCath will be better by the end of the season for having played such a tough team this early. Playing a team like Reitz will show you what you need to work on and help you prepare for Mayfield and the rest of the loaded 2A West down the road.

Nothing to be ashamed of Reitz is really good. If everyone came out of that game healthy, it's a win.

ADVERTISEMENT