ADVERTISEMENT

McCracken County implodes

Aug 29, 2003
Very surprised that no ones commented on the Graves McCracken game. For those of you that weren't fortunate enough to see the game be thankful you didn't because it was the ugliest game I've seen in my 43 years. & I've seen some ugly games. McCracken looked like they didn't want to win. Six turnovers, sixteen penalty's for over 130 yards. Graves just wanted it more, Crider proved his worth, he's a great back. McCracken's defense actually outshined their offense. After Criders opening TD Graves only had around 90 yards of offense the rest of the game. Maybe McCracken will look at this as a wake up call, because they were flat out embarrassed.

This sure was a shocker for me. I thought McCracken County was rolling along after beating Southaven, MS and drubbing Ft. Campbell last week. I said last week that Graves County had to beat Apollo by 35 points to be relevant and they won by 35. This win sheds a whole new light on 5A in the west. McCracken County has three weeks to get all their kinks worked out before they play Christian County in the season finale. Their post season will be a beast but so will everybody else's in 6A.

I don't know anything about the game, but I do think that any result from Friday given the weather has to be looked at through a different lens. A lot of teams had to adjust what they do, and it's no guarantee it would have happened under other circumstances. It's an impressive win by Graves, but could also be an aberration. Isn't McCracken a passing team? With the unbelievable wind we had here, if they had it there it would have been tough to throw far.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I was at the game. From what I observed the wind effected graves more than it actually did Mcracken. Graves missed an easy chip shot field goal and an xp from their very consistent very reliable Hector Garcia. He also missed a 51 yarder. Yes they attempted a 51 yard field goal but I have been told that he hits them all the time at practice. This one landed in the endzone, had their not been any wind then who knows. McCracken still passed the ball and their QB played extremely well. The problem was his receivers could not catch any balls, about 4 would have been TDs but they literally fell through Mcrackens hands. Graves defense has played very well this year. Most of the points they have given up was a result of their offense turning it over in their own territory, or the special teams giving up a TD. If they don't shoot themselves in the foot it appears their running game, defense, and new QB can keep them in a lot of games and that is what happened here.

This post was edited on 10/6 3:26 PM by gcfanatic64

The wind didn't beat McCracken. Graves County's defense, six turnovers and 17 penalties did. Credit Graves for turning two of those turnovers into touchdowns, including the game-winner with about 3 minutes left.

This post was edited on 10/6 4:37 PM by CLHirsh

The wind was not the difference in this game. Graves capitalized on McCrackens mistakes. Plain & simple. McCrackens defense was better than Graves. The majority of McCracken's turnovers were unforced turnovers. Hell McCracken's first score was from its own fumble. An int returned 20 yards them fumbled. The best pass of the night was in Hughes hands in the end zone dropped. A huge play on a hook & ladder, called back for a block in the back. McCracken handed this game to Graves. Not taking anything away from Graves, they wanted it more. Played again it might be different, bit Graves never quit, McCracken just never got started.

This post was edited on 10/6 7:01 PM by STEADY-ROCKIN87

Give Graves a lot of credit. They caused the turnovers. They played their game and played it to win. There was a silver lining in McCracken's defensive play.The offense cannot perform that way and expect to even win the district.

Originally posted by Big Blue 09:
McCracken could be way overrated also.
I think there's some validity here. And also that Graves my just have their number. The two teams faced each other during 7v7 action at McCracken -- most would think the athletic mustangs would roll over the Eagles -- where Graves used combo routes to puzzle the hosting school.

Could be just a matchup problem. But I stand by what I've said for sometime now: McCracken will be ousted in the first round by whatever super district opponent they face.

McCracken is good just not that good, yet.

I agree with them getting ousted in the 1st round. It will be a long bus ride home for Mustang nation.

If McCracken loses in the first round, it will almost certainly be at home, so no bus ride, long or otherwise. The Mustangs would have to finish third or fourth in their district to be on the road.

But, yes, McCracken, even if it wins its district, will be the underdog in the first round.

This post was edited on 10/7 6:18 PM by CLHirsh

The way they played against Graves they'll be lucky to finish 1st or 2nd in the district. So that bus ride could happen sooner than later. They still have to play a good Henderson team & not that bad of a Davies County team. I do give Graves defense some credit. They are a good tackling team, but the majority of McCracken's turnovers were unforced turnovers. Most were from the exchange from QB to RB. The Int returned for a TD was a perfect pass to the defender. Credit has to go to Graves for s hard fought game, but if you seen this game you have to agree with the exception of Criders opening play, Graves didn't really do that much.

Sorry, you are correct. They should host the 1st round at home so will lose in the comfy confines of Marquette Stadium.

In the several of the games this year it seems like they played better when Hughes was at QB so why keep trying the sophomore Jones out??

I wouldn't assume the Mustangs will lose. This is still the same group
that many considered a Top 5 team a week ago. And it played Graves with one of its better players out and Hughes at much less than 100%. Still a lot of season to play out.

Originally posted by CLHirsh:
I wouldn't assume the Mustangs will lose. This is still the same group
that many considered a Top 5 team a week ago. And it played Graves with one of its better players out and Hughes at much less than 100%. Still a lot of season to play out.
I'm still optimistic. They are capable of playing much better than they did against Graves.

Would that not be a kick in the teeth?

Win your district and the Trinity buses show up at your gate for the first round.

-----One thing for sure, Orville will not be running up the score on any of those teams-----

-----Another astute observation from a football novice, District one wins NO games in the playoffs-----

Well, you're going to have to face teams out of that district at some point in the playoffs anyway. McCracken is building to compete with those teams on a yearly basis. Maybe they're there, maybe they're not. Still pretty good for a second-year program built out of Lone Oak, Reidland and Heath to even be in the conversation.

-----Oh, I don't know CL, Here again being a football novice, I would assume Orville with all his knowledge, his staff of top notch coaches, the best facilities by far in the West, football players from the three schools mentioned and the recuits from Tilghman and Tenneesee that he would be expected to be in the conversation-----

Originally posted by WhiteEagle:

-----Oh, I don't know CL, Here again being a football novice, I would assume Orville with all his knowledge, his staff of top notch coaches, the best facilities by far in the West, football players from the three schools mentioned and the recuits from Tilghman and Tenneesee that he would be expected to be in the conversation-----
The conversation should be with all that stuff how did he only manage to beat a 1A school by one in overtime?

What would happen if they were to play DeSales?

-----DeSales wins at home and at a neutral site and McCracken would be a slight favorite at home but I would like DeSales chances-----

ADVERTISEMENT