ADVERTISEMENT

Mayfield-McCracken

I'm going with my Mustangs at home. They need to duplicate their defensive effort against PT from the 2nd half. Notwithstanding the loss of 19 seniors, McCracken might be better than last year. Mayfield might be down a bit. Purdom and Phill give the Mustangs good size on the lines and their linebackers seem very effective.

Mc Cracken has the right athletes in the right position this year and probably will prove to be too much for the young Cardinals.

Mayfield is as usual the best coached team in Western Ky and will keep it close, but just do not have the horses this year

For Mayfield to compete in this one, they will have to disrupt the Hughes to Jones connection. If MC gets that play off cleanly, its 6 points. Morris could pull a rabbit out of his hat and figure out a way to stop him, but I just don't know that the Cardinals have the ability to this year.

MC 49
Mayfield 34

Correct if they get the play off cleanly it will be six but I can't understand why d coordinators don't prepare there defense line for screens now a days if a o lineman let's u go past him something is terribly wrong don't go chasing a qb who runs a "4.3" get back and look for the back or receiver underneath but I'll take anybody over the cards, mccracken and Mayfield same score as PT.....it's mccracken year hope they make the best of it

This post was edited on 8/28 10:55 AM by category_F5

If Mayfield can keep it within a possession near the 4th quarter I think they'll find themselves in good position to wiln it.

Not sure if McCracken is able to beat them in a close one. At the same time if McCracken gets it going early Mayfield could find themselves on the wrong end of an ugly outcome.

I honestly think this is about as much of a toss up as possible, with the edge going to McCracken.

Originally posted by category_F5:

don't go chasing a qb who runs a "4.3" but I'll take anybody over the cards,
-----Another 4.3 in the West and take anybody over the Cards, give me a break
roll.r191677.gif
-----

I wonder where else in the state that a ranked 1A vs ranked 6A would even be a matchup?
Does Beechwood, Frankfort, or any other 1A school ever get pick to win or expect a close game with a good 6A school?

Let's put it another way. If it comes down to coaching, I would go with Mayfield. If it comes down to players, I would go with McCracken.
So it ought to be a pretty evenly matched game.

Mayfield's D is not gong to be victimized by the same things that hurt PT. And Mayfield rarely gives up the big play. McCracken will have to mount sustained drives to score.

Think it's going to be the night of the bird.

I watched the first half of the Tilghman/McCracken game and from what I saw Tilghman did like they always do and killed themselves, some of that you can blame on implementing a new system but a ton of offsides and other penalties. Mayfield did not make those kind of mistakes in the first game against Fort Campbell and I don't expect it to happen this week either. McCracken gave up a lot of yards on the run so I expect Mayfield to exploit that just to keep the ball out of McCracken's hands. If Mayfield can play ball control and mix in the pass to keep the defense honest, I say Mayfield has a good shot at pulling it out. I don't like our chances if we get into a scoring contest. I think the Mayfield Defense is ahead of the offense at this point but you can't depend on it for a whole game, they have to come off the field and get a rest.

White eagle I was being as sarcastic as u on the "4.3" and what I meant by I'll take anybody over the cards is im a PT guy I bleed blue so I'll root for terrorist before Mayfield

Originally posted by wkysports:
I wonder where else in the state that a ranked 1A vs ranked 6A would even be a matchup?
Does Beechwood, Frankfort, or any other 1A school ever get pick to win or expect a close game with a good 6A school?
Pretty sure Beechwood does.

White eagle I was being as sarcastic as u on the "4.3" and what I meant by I'll take anybody over the cards is im a PT guy I bleed blue so I'll root for terrorist before Mayfield
I'm a Mustang fan but, I have so many friends with kids at PT and respect them too much to root against them when they play someone other than McC. I feel the same way about Mayfield. Marshall Co. on the other hand.........

C'mon with that old school thinking, I root for PT when they aren't playing Mayfield. Its better for our area when local schools make it far in their respective classes.

Never liked Mayfield much, got screwed out of a trip to the Regional Finals my Frosh year down there.

Great game by both teams. UGLY, but still a great game to watch. Mayfields Bright, was a beast. Hes going to be making a lot of noise this year. Mayfield proved once again they never say die. Down 17 at two different points in the game, one of those in the 3rd. Lets hope all the injuries on the field tonight dont turn out to be to8 serious. Mayfield is a class act, you have to be impressed with the way they play so tough.

I've never in my life seen so many kids lay down on the field. Mostly when Mayfield was on D. I agree with people when they say mayfield is well coached. They were taught to do this, lay down, stop the game, slow the tempo. There were 4 kids that I thought were seriously hurt, holding the knee, screaming in agony. 4 plays later, they are back in the game. It's a bold strategy and it almost worked. There is no way those young men are that out of shape to cramp up like they did. McCracken had a couple of cramps, nothing like the Cards. I have a feeling they don't pull that next week, they didn't do it the week before when it was 15 degrees hotter. In no way am I saying Mayfield is a bad team, they have a great ball team. I think they will go very far this year, if not all the way. I just feel that was a little much with the cramping ever time McCracken made a big play in the 2nd half. Good luck Cards, hope you all do NOT have any serious injury, condition up and make another state run!

We at Mayfield don't fake injury or cramps. I guess you never had a cramp??? Probably one of the people never played the game either. Our kids poured there hearts out on that field.

Originally posted by redbird16:
We at Mayfield don't fake injury or cramps. I guess you never had a cramp??? Probably one of the people never played the game either. Our kids poured there hearts out on that field.
Cramping can occur regardless of conditioning. This time of year it's almost a given.

Last I heard Rasheed Jones' sprain was minor. Anyone heard any updates?

GG for mccracken to be loaded like that and for Mayfield to be having a down year like it is it says a lot about there coach and program

Congrats to both teams. What I took away from the game was mayfield looked very young and mistake prone but has the heart as big as a God. McCracken look very very athletic but that in my opinion doesn't look like a team that could beat Trinity or St.X. Not to be mean but those to programs and very few other rule that class 6a. I just don't see as, of week 2, them being a team to fear if I'm Trinity or X. Great game though

-----An amazing item I read somewhere was that the McCracken victory was only the 2nd time in history that Mayfield has loss to a McCracken County school, the other time was 1979 to Heath and the Heath Coach was Haskins-----

It was 1975. Haskins only other win against Daddy Morris. Heath in only its fourth year of varsity football went undefeated all the way to state & got beat 7-6 by Ludlow.

ADVERTISEMENT