ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky vs. Florida in H.S. football games?

broadcaster240

KP Hall of Fame
Feb 28, 2004
Got an email from a guy in Florida who is trying to put together a history of Florida high schools...and their football games with out-of-state teams.

I have found a few scores involving Kentucky schools...and was thinking that Glasgow and maybe Franklin-Simpson had played a team from there once upon a time.

Anybody have info on that?

Here is a good one.

In 1927 Bowling Green played at Marianna, FL on December 9th and won 13-6. Doug Smith was the coach and BGHS went 6-4-1 that year.

I don't believe FS has played anyone outside of Kentucky or Tennessee.

In 1938, Owensboro tied 0-0 with Ft. Lauderdale Florida on September 18th.

devil.r191677.gif

Thanks Mac; I scrolled through Dragonfire's website last night and found the Bowling Green one. I have read so many things in my 40 years of research that didn't get written down...and some that were written that I cannot put my finger on...F-S vs. a Florida team seemed right. 'Preciate your help.

Devils, I went through the Owensboro website list of scores and missed that one.

I thank ya both!

This post was edited on 10/1 2:00 PM by broadcaster240

This post was edited on 10/1 4:16 PM by broadcaster240

Originally posted by macdon:
Here is a good one.

In 1927 Bowling Green played at Marianna, FL on December 9th and won 13-6. Doug Smith was the coach and BGHS went 6-4-1 that year.

I don't believe FS has played anyone outside of Kentucky or Tennessee.
Mac, did you score both of those touchdowns?
I believe GTM may have had some pictures of that?????

This post was edited on 10/1 5:48 PM by truebluefan89

Anybody know what the score was between Paducah Tilghman and Niceville,FL? I know Niceville won but eventually forfeited the game. I was just curious. Also was this game played at Murray St.???

Game was played in Florida; Niceville was the alma mater of Tilghman coach Allan Cox; score was 14-17; 9,000 fans were in attendance.

(I had that score in my 1991 team-by-team breakdowns, but had forgotten.
Someone from the other preps board had the rest of that information.)

Thanks 240. Was that the same year Tilghman beat Oak Ridge,TN too? Funny story....when I was in college I was friends with a guy from Oak Ridge. He had this big state championship ring on his finger so I asked about it. He's like yeah we only lost one game to this team from KY. I'm like "Really?" "I'm from KY." He was like "It was some blue & white team." I was like "Paducah?!?!" He was like "Yep. That was the team!" Owensboro actually got drilled by that PT team in the playoffs if that was the same year I'm thinking. I'm almost certain it was because I remember the Owensboro staff talking about PT had beat a top TN team and damn near beat a top FL school when preparing the Red Devils for the Tornado. Good topic.

Yep; same year Paducah beat Oak Ridge. Allan Cox had a monster schedule that year...with Billy Jack Haskins, a Junior, at quarterback. Haskins would be Mr. Football the next year.

Tilghman's schedule in 1991 (finished 10-3...later changed to 11-2)

Aug. 30 - lost at Warren Central 12-13
Sep. 6 - won at Brentwood Academy, TN 17-14 (another perennial powerhouse)
Sep. 13 - lost at Niceville, FL 14-17 (later reversed on a forfeit)
Sep. 20 - beat Graves County 34-3
Sep. 27 - beat Mayfield 28-14
Oct. 5 - won at Oak Ridge, TN 21-20
Oct. 11 - won at Christian County 18-10
Oct. 18 - beat Union County 47-0
Oct. 25 - beat Calloway County 36-0
Nov. 1 - beat Hopkinsville 46-6

playoffs

Nov. 8 - beat Franklin-Simpson 48-8
Nov. 15 - beat Owensboro 40-7
Nov. 22 - lost to Bowling Green 24-31 (in overtime)
(Bowling Green lost to Meade Co. in the Class AAA semi-finals and Bell County beat Meade in the final.)

Broadcaster240 you are in the same area, but Coach Cox was a grad of Choctawhatchee high school in Shalamar near Ft. Walton and near Niceville. We had a real good football team that year---over looked BG in the third round---that happens. We played 3 top schools in the land that year. Niceville, Brentwood, and Oak Ridge. I think Oak Ridge had a 30-40 something home win streak snapped when we beat them. They had a running back S. Summers who went on to play at UT. Niceville's QB was M. West I think he started 4 years at WR for the Tide. Brentwood had Speedy at QB who played at UK. Next year we lost in the finals to Ft. Thomas and our team was not even close to what we where the year before. Coach Cox did a GREAT job with our guys getting us to Louisville---should have been in Louisville in 1991---would have won it all!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great run for the big blue under Cox. The guy could flat out coach those wonderful players. PT lost out when they told Cox it was time to go!!

Thanks for the info; I really enjoyed reading your missive.

This post was edited on 10/3 12:44 PM by broadcaster240

ADVERTISEMENT