ADVERTISEMENT

Three HC job openings in Louisville

Dave Lackford

KP Rookie
Gold Member
Jan 14, 2014
Ballard, PRP, and Central's coaches have all stepped down. They turn over will be interesting to say the least and maybe gives Waggener the chance to emerge this year with the athletes they have.

What's in the water in Louisville? I think there are 6 openings now with Moore, Seneca, & Western. Eastern was filled today.

What's in the water in Louisville? I think there are 6 openings now with Moore, Seneca, & Western. Eastern was filled today.

There isn't enough money in the water.

The amount of work it takes to do that job at a "championship level" year-in year-out is EXHAUSTING and it's year-round.

I have some knowledge of the Central and Ballard coaching situation and it probably cuts across the board in the Jefferson County Public School system.

If it looked like things were likely to help lessen the time/stress of the job, both may have stayed, but that doesn't appear to be on the horizon for JCPS because they'll just say, "next man up and nobody's irreplaceable.

In Ty Scroggin's case at Central having a family reason makes the stepping away easier to rationalize. His twins are both starting HS and he has coached about 140 games in ten years, not counting all the practice and prep work that goes into the job. That's a lot of calendar time away from your kids. All of the sudden you wake up and their in HS you know?

For Copley at Ballard, it wasn't family so much as a business decision to explore better options else where that money and time are more equal to one another.

I'd think that the love of the game can only carry you so far. As you get older those grown man responsibilities force your hand and lead to you having to make tough choices in life for your family and your career.

If JCPS doesn't start paying the coaches more look for the coaching turnover trend to continue.

Last edited:
So what is the pay for a head coach in JCPS?

Are they expected to teach a full load of classes?

Are they paid for the time they spend in the weight room in the off-season or is that considered part of the coaching pay?

So what is the pay for a head coach in JCPS?

Are they expected to teach a full load of classes?

Are they paid for the time they spend in the weight room in the off-season or is that considered part of the coaching pay?

They get paid as both a coach and a teacher, and yes they have to teach a full load. One of the points of contention is that JCPS won't reduce their class load.

Also, they pay raises as a coach stop after four years. So your get a raise each year for your first four years but after that, it is capped. So there is really no incentive to coach in JCPS after four years other than for the love of the players, school, and community.

I don't really know if there is a flat rate all head coaches make initially or if it varies per school but the raises stop after four years throughout that whole system. So you better find a private school gig or move on to somewhere out side of JCPS if you want to earn more money as a coach.

ADVERTISEMENT