ADVERTISEMENT

Southaven, MS vs. McCracken Co.

Iam4theFlash

KP Rookie
Oct 8, 2010
Tough Game for the Mustangs Saturday Night! It will be at McCracken so hopefully a large crowd will cheer them on to a victory.

Who you got?

Lets just hope these boys don't get to banged up. Southhaven is a different breed of football than what you see in Ky. McCracken wont see a better team than this all year & the outcome wont be pretty. This is not like the Bullit Central team they played in lastyears bowl. These boys are hard-nosed athletes with speed everywhere, not just at the skill positions. Southhaven 42-14.

They are 3-0 THIS year and ranked anywhere from 8 to 11 in 6A, which is Mississippi's highest class. So there's that.

Are you saying that Kentucky high school football is equal to Deep South high school football?

"Deep South" football is like having 11 Pooh Jones on the field at one time. No not unbeatable, but as tough of competition the Mustangs will see. McCracken is ranked something like 700ish nationally by Max Preps. Southhaven is ranked around 200ish nationally.

Originally posted by STEADY-ROCKIN87:
"Deep South" football is like having 11 Pooh Jones on the field at one time. No not unbeatable, but as tough of competition the Mustangs will see. McCracken is ranked something like 700ish nationally by Max Preps. Southhaven is ranked around 200ish nationally.
I'll take any team with 11 Pooh Jones on the field.

Originally posted by CLHirsh:
Originally posted by truebluefan89:
Any ranking beyond the top 100 is pretty much a toss up-
Nonsense.
If indeed you are going by the previously mentioned MaxPreps ratings, look at where other schools in your own class rate-

Trinity at 83
Male at 86
Scott Co. at 222
Manual at 458
St.X at 517
Desales at 600
and MCHS at 702

Do you really think there is that much disparity of those seven alone?
My point is once you get out of the top of the list, the computer models are splitting threads to make comparsions amongst the teams across the country-

Any ranking beyond the top 100 is pretty much a toss up-
Nonsense.
If indeed you are going by the previously mentioned MaxPreps ratings, look at where other schools in your own class rate-

Trinity at 83
Male at 86
Scott Co. at 222
Manual at 458
St.X at 517
Desales at 600
and MCHS at 702

Do you really think there is that much disparity of those seven alone?
My point is once you get out of the top of the list, the computer models are splitting threads to make comparsions amongst the teams across the country-
I guess I misunderstood your use of "toss up." Mayfield is ranked 1,467 nationally (29th state) and Fulton City 14,426 (217 state). You may disagree with the ranking, but I don't think Mayfield-Fulton City would be a toss up under any definition.

Never lose a game on paper. I'm a guy who follows football on the national level. Mississippi football isn't that much greater than Kentucky football. The very best teams in Kentucky are almost always better than the very best teams in Mississippi.

Don't fall into the D1 hype either. A good coached team will always beat a team full of stars. I watched a great coached team from New Jersey throttle the supposed best team in Florida that has 13 senior D1 football players because they were a better coached team by a bunch.

I don't know anything about either squad but I wouldn't write of McCracken just because they are playing an undefeated team from Mississippi.

They are 3-0 THIS year and ranked anywhere from 8 to 11 in 6A, which is Mississippi's highest class. So there's that.
Where's you get this bit of information? Just looked at the AP poll for Mississippi no mention of Southaven any where, not even a vote.

LINKED IT AT THE BOTTOM. Also no big D-I prospects. Some of you may have over hyped this team. Shouldn't be that big of a talent difference at all. I haven' watched them so I can't say that for sure, though.

Mississippi AP Poll

One more comment: I also have never been under the impression Mississippi is a good high school football state. Always thought Mississippi was last in everything.

Originally posted by Commonwealthsports:
Where's you get this bit of information? Just looked at the AP poll for Mississippi no mention of Southaven any where, not even a vote.

LINKED IT AT THE BOTTOM. Also no big D-I prospects. Some of you may have over hyped this team. Shouldn't be that big of a talent difference at all. I haven' watched them so I can't say that for sure, though.
Rankings are from MaxPreps and a site called High School Sports in Mississippi. http://www.hssportsms.com/files/Rankings/FootballRankings/2014/mhsaa/9-14-14_mhsaa_fb_rankings.pdf

I hadn't seen AP, but they rank only the top 5, but Southaven didn't get any votes in that.

So, maybe it will be a game after all.

Only halftime. Mustangs down 42-28. Mustangs are playing the best ball they have all year.... Southhaven is for real. Any doubters? Then I'll tell you that you're full of $--t. Just ask Barnes from Caldwell. McCracken WILL NOT see a better team than this in KY.

Steady, they do look very athletic. But on the other hand if you think as a team they are better than Trinity or Male- well then, you may need a laxative.

Now honestly I cannot say that Southhaven is as good as Trinity or St X. I've never seen them play. But that Southhaven team had more athletes & speed than I've ever seen. #8 for them was a beast. He has already committed to play @ Ole Miss, as a 6'5" point guard. The team was just loaded. They had over 500 yards of offense, but McCracken had almost 500. Cash Jones is going to be the next big name for the Mustangs. Only a sophomore, & throwing for 288 yards against a team like that is huge. Great game to see.

Haven't seen Trinity or Male play this year either but if they are better than Southaven then they are great teams. I have never seen a high school team with so much speed and athletes and that includes watching Brentwood Academy. Just a great win for such a new program!

Truly enjoyed this one. MCCH looked sloppy, especially in the 2nd quarter, but you never felt they were totally out of it. Hughes and R. Jones looked like true men in fighting for yards after the catch. They had never had to fight that hard. Cash Jones is the real deal. Lots of poise for a sophomore and the line gave him decent protection most of the night. Cole Womack was AWESOME in all aspects of the game. Even the run game had its moments, especially late in the game.

Southaven's #16, Kennedy sold the fake hand off as well as I've ever seen form a HS kid. He might be too small for the next level, but an impressive player. #8 Davis was all he was advertised to be.

Have a tough opponent in Henderson in a few weeks. Like the sluggish start against Dyer Co. showed, you can't overlook anyone. It will be great to have #22 Alexander back in a few weeks to give Pooh, Cole and the rest of the DB's some help on the end runs.

ADVERTISEMENT