ADVERTISEMENT

South Warren @ Adair County

This is as close to a "show me" game as SW gets prior to the playoffs...they need to win this in convincing fashion to make believers out of a lot of us. Paducah Tilghman is quickly figuring it out over in the West, while SW reamins undefeated against what is probably the softest schedule in 3A's top 10. If the Spartans handle AC then I'l buy in and say they've got a shot. Another struggle of a game like what we saw against a sub-average Daviess Co., and I'll go ahead and call it that SW doesn't get past Paducah.

Originally posted by BIG BLACK JACK:
Originally posted by Raider 1:
Just don't see the Indians winning this one
I do.
I do too! It will be great to go to an Adair County football game to watch the football team and not the band. They always have a great band. Now, we can enjoy the football as well. South Warren has played one of the easiest schedules in the state. Again, Daviess County has exposed South Warren for what they are, a decent 3A team, not the #1 team in 3A. The school with 5A numbers will lose to a very good Adair County team. BBJ is guaranteeing it!

Originally posted by DragonFire:
Let's be honest on Adair's schedule: muderer's row it ain't.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Darn you! You had to go and bring reality back into the picture. I had a nice little football fantasy going on there for a little bit.

I hope Adair co. wins this game so justice can be served. South has ran off at the mouth all year they should be #1 in the ranking well duh they are a 6A school playing in 3A but the Indians have some legit young talent.

I've watched film on both teams and I think In order for Adair to win the QB will have to play well. They have 2 talented RB and a nice looking fullback. Let's not overlook their defense either. They look long and lengthy with good speed. They have a big boy in the middle that everyone has trouble moving that allows the linebackers to flow and make plays. I predict the score will be 28-12 Adair!!!

The #1 reason that I doubt Adair County wins - or maybe even competes - this game is because they are primarily a running team. That is easily the strength of the Spartan defense. It's why the schedule sets up so favorably for them in addition to being generally weak, in that there really aren't many teams they run up against that throw. One of the few that do is Daviess County, and lo and behold a wind storm blows up to make that all but impossible. Every other team has gone right into the teeth of a ferocious rush D. And Adair doesn't appear to be an exception to that. Which I think ultimately dooms them. I do believe that this along with perhaps Russellville easily sets up as their biggest tests of the season. Which might not be saying much ultimately.

I will be interested in seeing the outcome of this one. SW better not sleep in this Indians team. If South Warren does not stop Adair's Jordan Lasley (19 total TDs, 12 rushing, 4 receiving, 3 returns) they could be in for a big surprise. The Indians are a running team however, Adair's QB Chance Melton has thrown for 6 TDs. People better get their shot at the Indians now because in the next 2 years, they will be a team you DON'T want on your schedule.

AC's QB is exceptional. Mature for his age, seems to almost always make the right read. Good size, runs well and can pass effectively. Lot of talk about their runners but the QB is what makes this team so dangerous.

SW looks very balanced offensively with two running backs and the QB putting up good numbers. AC's best chance to win is going after the QB hard. He will hurt them running and throwing and has scored several TD's.

The playmakers look balanced so whoever has the tougher line will be the difference. A school the size of SW should have the size and depth advantage there so AC will have to show tremendous heart on the line to have a chance.

Let's be honest South Warren should win this game. Adair co. Doesn't have a lot of size or the numbers they only have around 30 players. They do have good coaching and good fundamental's with the passion to win. South Warren on offense is very much ball control they will probably wear Adair co down as the game gets late. On defense South is very good they get off blocks and fly to the ball. For Adair co. on offense their QB Chance Melton look's like the real deal. He's listed at 6-5 he's fast and very elusive with a big arm. A few people compare him to Elijah Sindelar, of Caldwell co. IMO thats some high phrase. For Adair to win he needs to play lights out.South will also have to keep a eye on the pair of sophomore running backs #28 Jordan Lasley and #20 Lonnie Grant they are like thunder and lighting. Lasley leads 3A in scoring with 19 tds on the season. My heart is with David as they face Galioth. Good luck Adair co.Indians and my old friend coach Travis Gay.

Originally posted by Jelly giant:
I hope Adair co. wins this game so justice can be served. South has ran off at the mouth all year they should be #1 in the ranking well duh they are a 6A school playing in 3A but the Indians have some legit young talent.
I guess they will a 6A school playing in 4A next season.

South Warren seems to have built this schedule to get some wins, create enthusiasm around the program while playing a couple of local schools to get a rivalry feel to those games.

They have progressed beyond most of their schedule much quicker than anyone would have anticipated. Winning 27 of their last 33 games.

The confidence level is quite high.

Adair is really in uncharted territory for them. The last time they won their first six was.....never? South Warren is by far the best team Adair has faced.

My prediction is a 3-4 TD SW win and then Adair County finishes the year 9-1.

The South Warren enrollment last year was a bit over 1,100. Much larger than 3A schools, but not near 6A numbers. SW will be playing in 4A for the next four years with an enrollment that should put them in 5A. Had they not developed such a quality program, it's likely that no one would have ever noticed. Bottom line is that no one took Mercer Co's trophy away when they won a championship after the Harrodsburg consolidation left them with a much larger school than their 2A opponents. South Warren got a big break by being able to stay in 3A, but just like Mercer, if they win it, no one is going to be able to protest the outcome.

Originally posted by Bear3:
The South Warren enrollment last year was a bit over 1,100. Much larger than 3A schools, but not near 6A numbers. SW will be playing in 4A for the next four years with an enrollment that should put them in 5A. Had they not developed such a quality program, it's likely that no one would have ever noticed. Bottom line is that no one took Mercer Co's trophy away when they won a championship after the Harrodsburg consolidation left them with a much larger school than their 2A opponents. South Warren got a big break by being able to stay in 3A, but just like Mercer, if they win it, no one is going to be able to protest the outcome.
I don't believe we have to worry about South Warren winning the 3A title. They're getting fat eating all of those cupcakes. Next year they will be tested during the regular season.

I think I'm going to travel to this big game to see what all the fuss is about that SW has the number 1 defense in class 3A. I talked with my buddy from Anderson County in class 5A who scrimmaged them earlier and said that Adair County held their own.

All of you are aware that Brandon Smith is the Head Coach at South Warren. His Dad would be a pretty decent defensive consultant.

Actually they are 3A playing in 3A and even when realignment happens next season they still only go to 4A. Good try though. Who exactly has been running off at the mouth?

Originally posted by Adopted Purple:

I don't believe we have to worry about South Warren winning the 3A title. They're getting fat eating all of those cupcakes. Next year they will be tested during the regular season.
Funny how some BG prick is always on a SW post talking smack. Why don't you guys worry about how your recruiting is going and how you will never win another title after this year since Highlands is moving up to punk you out. Oh, BTW, Blackmon, TN called and said they can still see you guys running!

Originally posted by Mr_pizostman:
Actually they are 3A playing in 3A and even when realignment happens next season they still only go to 4A. Good try though. Who exactly has been running off at the mouth?
That South Warren had a myriad of circumstances break their way does not change the fact that they have an enrollment befitting a 5A school (not 6A as some have said here) while playing in 3A. No one is asking you to apologize for it or give anything back, but it is a legitimate advantage they have enjoyed and then will continue to enjoy next year. This is a fact.

South Warren's first year as a school they did not have a varsity team. They were aligned for the next four years based on that single year's male enrollment. At the time, the numbers made them the fourth largest 3A school out of the gate. It is likely the smallest that school will ever be. By the next year the male enrollment jumped by 73 - as expected given that SW was light on some the year before that were given options to stay at their current schools. At that point based on single year enrollment South Warren was already larger than most 4A schools. So they were already a 4A sized school playing in 3A before they played a single down. My rough count places them at the 12th largest based on that single year. They were already larger at that point than every school that will be in their new 4A district with the exception of Warren Central (at that point).

The next year male enrollment jumped another 37 students, and then again in 2013-14 jumped another 39 males to reach 564 last year. The rapid rise in their enrollment paints a pretty clear picture that had the alignment remained as a 2 year average (as it had been for several realignments) compared to 4 years that South Warren would be 5A starting next year. Instead, the KHSAA reversed course, made it five years, and again South Warren benefits from a year (or two) of enrollment numbers they will likely never see again. Again, don't apologize for it, but don't expect people not to make a note of it. Especially in a sport that has a reliance on numbers and depth.

Based on last year's enrollment numbers, South Warren will be the 3rd largest 4A school. They will not be the largest based on the fact that West Jessamine and East Jessamine played down to 4A. I don't know whether South Warren's numbers slowed down this year or not (my bet is not), but if they grew by the same rate they have in the last two years, they'll be roughly as large as Greenwood and not terribly far off Bowling Green.

Some of the posts have Adair only scoring 3-7 points in this game if that happens I will say that South Warrens d-fence is good because I really believe Adair can score.

I'd be mildly surprised if Adair scores more than 14. But this is the chance to make believers of us all. I have no issue coming in and being wrong about that.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Advantage to SW defense because of the rain this will slow down the quickness of Adair County's speed offense. But no doubt in my mind that this will be the best defense that Adair will face this year but it will also be the best defense SW will face. I still think that Adair will come away with the win.

Originally posted by Adopted Purple:

Funny how some BG prick is always on a SW post talking smack. Why don't you guys worry about how your recruiting is going and how you will never win another title after this year since Highlands is moving up to punk you out. Oh, BTW, Blackmon, TN called and said they can still see you guys running!
Angry little fellow aren't we

Tell your coach to schedule Bowling Green. He's got to be tired of cupcakes by now.

This post was edited on 10/10 11:59 PM by Adopted Purple

South warrens defense was as good as advertised. Adair county hung tough until halftime. SW had thee fumbles first half which hurt them or the score would've been worse. Adair county QB missed connecting with wide receiver that was wide open that could've been 2 TDs. They are young they start 7 sophomores on offense. With only one senior starting offense. SW is the real deal and will be hard to be beat. SW coach made good adjustments at halftime trying to run between the tackles started getting on the outside which seemed to be Adair weakness.

I was pulling for the underdog, but the best team won. It looks like Adair County will be a force to reckon with the next few years. South Warren has a nice team and could possibly make a short run in the playoffs this season.:)

So it sounds like they're not a 3a school, are they 4a or 5a? Is this Mercer county all over again?

Originally posted by MudRiverCat :
So it sounds like they're not a 3a school, are they 4a or 5a? Is this Mercer county all over again?
3A last year, but had enrollment numbers that would have made them the largest 4A school in the state. Moving up to 4A next year and most likely have 5A numbers this year. It's possible, that next time redistricting comes around, they will have to move to 6A. They have room to grow and their school board is stuffing them in as fast as they can, at the expense of the other county schools, by the way. In Mercer County, they closed Harrodsburg down and consolidated into Mercer County High School. They didn't close any high schools in Warren County. They built South Warren and filled it mainly with students from Warren Central and Greenwood. The selection process for the new school and the redistricting lines are a little sketchy to me. Looks like they are trying to keep up with the Jones'.

ADVERTISEMENT