Mar 25, 2011
I have read on many sites how having a recruiting site like NCSA.ORG is
the best way to get an athlete recruited. I have also been told that the
cost for this is quite extensive. Not knowing exactly how much that is
but on a very limited budget im not sure it would be worth it. What are
the thoughts of using a recruiting site like this one? Does it work as
advertised and any idea what the actual cost is? Anyone have any
experience good or bad with them?

No they're not worth it. If a kid can't get recruited at camps and with film he's not going to. No amount of money will buy a scholarship or interest.

As a former college coach I will say that these recruiting sites are very useful to the programs using them. I signed several young men by surfing these sites. That being said, the cost is pretty expensive and ranges from 2k-4k a year depending on the package. I actually asked some of the kids and parents out of curiosity and those were the prices they gave me.

Shoot me your email and I would gladly talk to you about what I know about the sites and alternatives.

God Bless

Originally posted by FBcoach18:
As a former college coach I will say that these recruiting sites are very useful to the programs using them. I signed several young men by surfing these sites. That being said, the cost is pretty expensive and ranges from 2k-4k a year depending on the package. I actually asked some of the kids and parents out of curiosity and those were the prices they gave me.

Shoot me your email and I would gladly talk to you about what I know about the sites and alternatives.

God Bless
So you say you've signed several kids doing this. What schools did they sign with?

How are the kids doing now? Did they go into a good system that fits them?

I know a few as well who have used these services. Granted these kids had no chance of playing DI ball, but to them and their parents they were just being over looked because of where they were at. These are also the same people who complain about camps and how their kid was showcased.

From my time doing this I've known them to be nothing but a rip off.

I'll say this again, no amount of money will make a kid a DI player if he's just not one.

I merely stated my experience, as a coach, using the sites. I agree that if parents are signing their kids up thinking that it will lead to a DI scholarship then they are probably going to be disappointed. Sites like NCSA do provide valuable information about the recruiting process and are used by colleges from every level. I personally wouldn't use it for my child but then again I know how the process works. For those who do not or maybe don't have a hs coach that helps in recruiting then by all means, if you have the money to burn, go for it.

To answer some of your questions, the kids I signed were at the DII level. A couple were from out of state and I probably would have never ran across them if not for searching the site. The ones who were out of state received far more scholarship money than their parents put into the site, I am certain.

I merely stated my experience, as a coach, using the sites. I agree that if parents are signing their kids up thinking that it will lead to a DI scholarship then they are probably going to be disappointed. Sites like NCSA do provide valuable information about the recruiting process and are used by colleges from every level. I personally wouldn't use it for my child but then again I know how the process works. For those who do not or maybe don't have a hs coach that helps in recruiting then by all means, if you have the money to burn, go for it.

To answer some of your questions, the kids I signed were at the DII level. A couple were from out of state and I probably would have never ran across them if not for searching the site. The ones who were out of state received far more scholarship money than their parents put into the site, I am certain.
Okay that's good information.

The marketing for such sites put on that belief like if you pay them your kid will be recruited. I hate hearing these stories all the time of parents paying them and no results, or the results they get are satisfactory.

I'm under the opinion if you want to get recruited here's the steps:
Kid needs to be good, have upside or have size to play that position at the next level.

-- Said kid should be training every offseason after freshman year, or beforehand. Not just lifting weights, either. Agility and working with your hands feet and hip are more important than putting weight on. Plus a lot of coaches like to build up their recruits on their own.
Get them to as many camps as possible

-- The camp circuit has become the AAU season of basketball. Get your kids to any camps possible, but keep in mind the talent level at said camp and temper your expectations. Also after their sophomore year college camps are the most important because those are the ones you can obtain scholarships from.
Produce a highlight tape

-- Many high schools have begun utilizing HUDL to show film and to make their players highlight tapes. On these tapes don't show every tackle said player made, use the best plays that show all the things said kid can do. PRO TIP: draw them in with a big play to start it off.
Send the highlight tapes to schools

-- Every school, besides Alabama, has a directory of their football staff that includes their emails. Send the tape to the recruiting coordinator, the coach of the position said kid plays and to the coordinator of the side of the ball said kid will play on. Coaches do check those things, and if they like what they see they'll get back with you.
Be honest

-- Don't lie to coaches, reporters, or anyone about anything. Don't juice up their height and weight or role on the team. It's not worth it. The truth will come out. Save the embarrassment. Also be honest with yourself in regards to your ability and level of play. If you can't figure out why your kid isn't getting offers from schools that have seen him multiple times, it's because said kid is not at that level, or may not fit said schools scheme.

Now you're just being too logical.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 2/13 11:30 AM by FBcoach18

Now you're just being too logical.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 2/13 11:30 AM by FBcoach18
Yeah, a little.

You have no idea how many times I've repeated all of that. And also the amount of hostile parents I deal with who get mad about our rankings and blame them for their kid not getting looked at.

It's crazy, man. Crazy.

I also think I should have put be honest in bold.

Here are some other thoughts since this issue will be confronting parents and rising juniors and seniors. Some frankness is in order. If you have to hire a service to promote your son (or yourself) because you have not heard from recruiters, there is a reason. You are too small or too slow or too thin or lacks skills/ability. You can get stronger. You can hone skills and speed somewhat. Very hard to get taller. If you are not 6-2 or 6-3 minimum, not too many colleges are interested in you for non-skill positions. Bottom line - if you are good, recruiters already know about you. For these paid or vanity recruiting sites - the best you are likely to see is a D2 or more likely an NAIA offer. And a word about NAIA football. They are private schools. And all of them are very expensive -- $25-$45K a year. NAIA football awards fractional scholarships: 1/4 is common and I have heard of less than that @ 1/8. Even if you get the "scholarship" you are still looking at paying tens of thousands of dollars to suit up. (Hint: $$ loans.) And if you tear that ACL, you will not get the blue chip medical care and training/rehab seen in the NCAA programs. Football is a great game on any level. If you have a chance to play at the next level, try it for at least a year if you can afford it. If it were my decision, I would save my money spent on paid recruiting services and instead use it for ACT prep courses. If you can score a 27+ on the ACT, you will get substantially more financial aid than you will receive from playing football. Everyone has to do what is best for their situation but make an informed decision and not one based on some pipe dream advanced by a website.

ADVERTISEMENT