ADVERTISEMENT

Power Rankings - 10/6/14

Commonwealthsports

KP All-Pro
Dec 11, 2012
How powerful are this week's power rankings?
Zydrunas.jpg

Power Rankings

Originally posted by Mr Brownstone:

You forgot Beechwood in 1A - they just clobbered CovCath 28-13.
Same question on the other thread. Is CovCath still reeling or Beechwood back on their feet?

4A:
1. Highlands and Owensboro
3. Johnson Central
4. LC
5. Boyle

Covington Cath has been overrated.
Collins is knocking on the door.

Confidence is building. Got whipped last year by Central Hardin, Henderson, Paducah and Owensboro. Had over 500 yds of offense against Central Hardin this year while missing and losing during game 7 starters. Thumped Henderson this year. (I don't care if they are down, it was at their house) The Paducah game was never in doubt.(at their place) And Owensboro got 2 huge breaks on their game winning drive, and another on the ensuing kickoff.

The only thing I am guaranteeing is that nobody will want to see the Maroon's on their schedule come playoff time!

Originally posted by kystriper:
Confidence is building. Got whipped last year by Central Hardin, Henderson, Paducah and Owensboro. Had over 500 yds of offense against Central Hardin this year while missing and losing during game 7 starters. Thumped Henderson this year. (I don't care if they are down, it was at their house) The Paducah game was never in doubt.(at their place) And Owensboro got 2 huge breaks on their game winning drive, and another on the ensuing kickoff.

The only thing I am guaranteeing is that nobody will want to see the Maroon's on their schedule come playoff time!
I can agree with this. MNH will be a tough out for anyone during the playoffs.

Yes but they will have to go to Franklin Simpson and Owensboro back to back weeks and then a trip to Central Ky for the semis...Very rough road to follow.

Yes they can. I don't see anyone in the Louisville District jumping out at me. Fairdale has started to win some games but I don't think they have played much. I am not sure just how good N. Oldham is after that loss to Spencer who is really not all that. I know they beat a very good South Oldham team but they had lost their fullback and have not been the same since.
It is always tough playing at North and I have already been looking over the tiebreaker situation. Collins needs to step up this week and get a W over a very good Cent. Harding team.
Collins is not the same team as of old, they are trying to do things with more ball control and D and it has been working well. Collins has several freshman that are playing and probably needs to be playing a couple of more. I predict Collins will be in the regional final again and who knows from there. I have not ruled out a return trip to BG with the semis being played at home but that would be a TALL order.

yes, based on KHSAA odd even year matchups. even year so region 2 host region 1. District 2 will host District 1 if both are 1 seed.

Let's assume for a moment that MNH did indeed have "over 500 yds of offense" against Central Hardin.

Average possessions/game for high school is in the neighborhood of seven. That would be seven drives of 70+ yards.

Madisonville had seven drives averaging 70 yds/drive and scored 7 points????

I would not want that particular statistic to be out for public consumption.

Note to new posters. There are several on here that know a good bit of football and where to find FACTS regarding games, teams etc. If you throw out a bunch of BS you're likely to get called out.

Grayson County top 5 in 5A?! They beat an average Edmonson County team 10-3!

I would have either Bullitt Central or Southwestern in the #5 slot before I put Grayson County there.

Originally posted by third regioner:
About time to get over that Edmonson-Grayson game.. Can't base how good a team is on one game.
They beat a very good Davies County 27-26.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

When it's 3A Edmonson County, far from 5A enrollment, I can put a lot of stock into it. Especially since they don't have a Tobias-like player on the team.

Tommy don't doubt the Maroons, I've seen on multiple message boards that you are claiming and discussing Owensboro as the #1 team in 4A over Highlands, if that's the case what should Madisonville be since the game was decided on s few controversial calls on the final drive of the game? The road through the playoffs will be tough for any team in the west and I believe that the team that resides off of Badgett Loop will be battle tested and ready for any challenge that presents itself

So if I'm reading this correctly MNH's best game has been the 7 point loss at Owensboro and the loss was due in part to five controversial penalties on the game's final drive.

You explain the Greenwood score 13-9 because it was hot. What?

MNH lost to 6A undefeated Central Hardin 35-7. Take a moment to look at the rest of CHHS's schedule. What you will see is wins over North Hardin (1-6), John Hardin (1-5), Mercer Co. (1-5), and Bullitt East (4-2). The two largest margins of victory for CHHS came against MNH and John Hardin (45-12).

How long do you think CHHS is going to last in the 6A playoffs?

I believe Madisonville has yet to play its best game but up to this point I would say the 49-0 dismantling of Henderson gets my vote, don't know why your hooked on Central Hardin but they have a quality football team and will have a chance to prove some doubters wrong over the next couple of weeks, the Owensboro game did have some controversial calls but with some skill and a little bit of luck there should be a rematch in the future, 6A is tough for anyone to make moves and always has been which is why CH may have trouble in the playoffs not how good there team is, Greenwood is was it is a Win and yes it was HOT, the game started at 5:30 and was the first game finished in the state this year on a day many chose to postpone or push their times back due to the heat index, if I'm correct it was at legal limit to warm up with no pads and helmets allowed until the start of the game and supposedly mandatory water breaks every 7 minutes that didn't happen. We can compare scores and schedules all you want but I don't see many District 2 teams other than FS competing with anyone this year.

This post was edited on 10/9 2:22 PM by Paradise_City

I have not counted out MNH. Learning many things about them and not sure where I even put them this week. I just think Owensboro is a cut above. IF you would have pulled that game off then I would have had you in top 3. I just don't see it yet based on scores that I look at. I do feel you will have a very hard road to the championship. I just don't see that signature win out of them yet.

I definitely don't think Owensboro is a CUT above after watching both teams play and you can say all you want that wasn't your best game but neither was it for Madisonville. Signature wins are hard to come by for any program with no gauge on who to schedule from year to year, I'm guessing one of your signature wins is Warren Central who the Maroons beat to start the season last year before falling on hard times. I have no clue where Madisonville should be ranked but it's in the top 5 in 4A and the Red Devils beat them so they're above but it's not by much, athlete to athlete and lineman to lineman they match up as well as any team you'll see. There's no IF's in my book just WHEN they play again I think the outcome will be different.

So you are saying WHEN Region 1 4A Championship time rolls around it WILL be OHS v. MNH.

Good call, there is an IF and thats IF the Maroons get past Franklin Simpson then WHEN they play Owensboro the Maroons should take care of business, definitely not looking past the Wildcats as they have proven to be a very tough opponent the last two trips to your house. My IF was referring to the previous OHS/MNH games outcome that was brought up.

This post was edited on 10/9 4:32 PM by Paradise_City

Paradise, don't get me wrong, I am not an Owensboro homer. I am thee Collins guy. Just based on me seeing them last year and knowing what they had coming back, they start the my rankings up high. Close game with BG means a lot to me. Win at Warren Central, and win over Owensboro Catholic is 3 quality opponents. Win over Henderson doesn't say much to me and win over PT doesn't say much. I am also the first one to say Collins hasn't beaten anyone YET and I still feel that we have a shot of getting back to BG. Will know more about them after tomorrow night vs Central Harding. Might give us something to judge our teams on. I really and truly think that 4A football has several even teams and I still can not pick out the two best teams to meet in the finals. Last year, I knew what 2 teams would be there after week 5. Lot's of fun 4A football still to play.

Originally posted by Commonwealthsports:
Originally posted by Mr Brownstone:

You forgot Beechwood in 1A - they just clobbered CovCath 28-13.
Same question on the other thread. Is CovCath still reeling or Beechwood back on their feet?
Sept. 12
Franklin Co 22
Frankfort 13

Sept 19
Beechwood 42
Franklin Co 13

Also Frankfort has two losses after getting romped in Florida...

In 3A I don't see Bourbon jumping over Belfry and South Warren after beating Estill County by 10.

If you are going by W's and L's South Warren is #1 as they are undefeated.

If you go by quality of wins Belfry is the clearcut #1. Belfry has two convincing wins over a very good Top 10 6A Henry Clay and a Top 10 5A Southwestern who beat your #4 team last week. No other 3A team comes closes right now to a win as good as either of those, especially by the margin of victory.

Understandable Tommy, normally don't post on here a lot anymore just had to try and back up a poster who made a mistake on Yardage for a game then continued with defending a group of guys who are working hard for a chance at something that hasn't been accomplished in Madisonville for awhile. Collins, Owensboro, and Franklin Simpson have all proved they deserve the credit they get.

Originally posted by BIG BLACK JACK:
Grayson County top 5 in 5A?! They beat an average Edmonson County team 10-3!

I would have either Bullitt Central or Southwestern in the #5 slot before I put Grayson County there.
Grayson & Edmonson are rivals. Have been for a long time. Doesn't matter how wide the talent or enrollment gap, you can always expect a good game. Grayson continues to win and that is all that really matters.

I apologize. I was looking at the Hoptown game yardage stats when I posted the previous entry. They are still going to be a tough out!

Madisonville and Franklin-Simpson have played 19 times. FS leads the series 10-9 after winning the last four.

Strangest game in the series was in 2001. MNH ended the year with one win, FS 14-0. FS ended 8-4 and led #1 Hoptown in the second half of the playoffs.

The last three have been playoff wins at FS. All tough, close games.

ADVERTISEMENT