ADVERTISEMENT

Officials Suspended for bad call Murray DeSales Semi Final

joeprincefan

KP Rookie
Feb 6, 2013
What do you think on this one? Looks like Mr Tackett is raising the bar on his officials. He is getting rid of the old guard and putting in people that want to make their officials better with more training. I know several old time assignors have been replaced by new guys and word has it that things are running better. Wonder when that move will be made in the Boro? Needs to happen soon before something like this happens in this area!

There was a long Murray TD run, and an official ran into a Murray coach on the sidelines during the play. Officials called back the TD when the penalty should have been enforced on the PAT or kickoff. DeSales was up 7-0 at the time, so the TD would have tied it...With DeSales winning 14-7, it is quite unfortunate for Murray.

Couple of points / opinions
I see poor officiating every Friday night, why was this case & it's review made so public?? Either because it was a big playoff game or the 2nd time Murray was royally screwed by Reffs in playoff game? I was at that game in state finals the year they got hosed on a terrible call , & I was at the mandatory coaches riules clinic the next Aug where JT defended those Refs & said everyone else saw it wrong? But I clearly saw the Murray kid catch the ball on the big L in the end zone for what should have been the game winning ain't / TD

Inconsistent to say the least. 1 game you get officials constantly telling the coaches to move back when they are standing clearly off the field & out of the way. But the same night at another game certain coaches are allowed to be standing on the #'s when the ball is snapped???
Tell me you guys have not seen this on a weekly basiis???

Too many officials are more concerned with looking for sideline infractions than what fouls happen on the field?? Like chop blocks, holding etc?

I'm not bashing the Refs as I know how impossible their job is & I had many do a great job I the games I was involved in both in wins & losses.
I'm just saying the officiating is so inconsistent from 1 Friday to the next

He had me on his side all the way until he brought up the possible "high-fives" between the refs & DeSales after the game...

I thought the refs where horrible this year. Very inconsistent every friday night. I know its not an easy job, but if you dont know the rules stay home.

With all of this years issues it might be a good time for some of you so called experts to join up and see if you can do better! Good luck on making it to the finals.

I once worked with a guy that was a ref on Friday nights. He would tell us that they can only call things they see, but it has to be right then and there, which can be difficult. He also added that it's at their "discretion" whether to call something or not. This was a bit bothersome to me because it shouldn't be up to them to make that decision. If it's wrong, call it. But, he added, the game would never get finished if they called everything that went wrong. Any thoughts?

This post was edited on 12/14 3:41 PM by Primpwatcher

Originally posted by gorocks123:
He had me on his side all the way until he brought up the possible "high-fives" between the refs & DeSales after the game...
It's kind of like the Big 8 officials always in OHS locker room after games.

KHSAA got it wrong by suspending these guys:

Ok, the refs made a bad call. Counsel them...tar & feather them…take their measly $60.00 (If that much) for calling the game. These ERRORS happen all the time. The refs at last year's 6A championship made a bad call costing Meade the championship as well. There is no way to make the game or the refs perfect. It's been part of the game and always will be. They are human, even in the NFL Mike Herra (Fox's Ref Expert) will disagree with a call after it has been reviewed by the refs on the field and in NY.

Now I'm not saying that bad calls or interruption of the rules is ok, but why suspend these guys. This happens every Friday night across the state and these bad calls costs teams' important losses.

My problem is with the KHSAA.

1. Why isn't instant replay used at these critical games..it's available, these game are televised (This would have corrected the call last year costing perhaps Meade the 6A championship).

2.. Why doesn't the KHSAA have a head ref in the both monitoring the game. The refs on the field are busy..trying to get the call right..trying to keep the game going…listening to screaming coaches and fans. This head ref could have communication with the ref on the field to make corrections if he sees a wrong mark off for a penalty or wrong interruption of a rule. (This would have fixed the Desales / Murray call)

3. The sideline violation is a point of emphasis for the KHSAA. I have a friend that is a head ref, we discussed this he said you will get in more trouble for not maintaining the sideline than missing a call on the field (Still not sure how Coach Mckee does it he is literally on the field and no penalty).

4. A lot of refs are older and not in the best shape causing them to be out of position to make calls or just flat out missing them because of poor eyesight. You get what you pay for. $60.00 a game is not enough to lure young people into the game. A lot of people don't want the hassle that's associated with being a ref on Friday night or for that matter on Monday for JV games or Thursday for freshman games. Especially having to deal with disrespectful fans, players and coaches all for $60.00. It's only going to get worse once these older refs hang up the whistles and cleats.

Who was the coach from Murray that hit the ref? Wonder if the school did anything to him for starting all of this mess. Murray caoches have in the past acted real bad on their sidelines and looks like it cost them big this time.

ADVERTISEMENT