ADVERTISEMENT

Madisonville @ Union County

WhiteEagle

KP Hall of Fame
Oct 20, 2009
-----Could be a very interesting game. Many assume the Maroons are down this year starting out 0-3 but they have played 3 very good teams. In recent times the Maroons have owned the Braves winning 8 of 10, usually by big numbers. Polls show Union to be the favorite but I am very skeptical. The Braves will have to play a very good game to come out on top. An interesting game in this long series dates back to 1989 when Coach Charlie Bob Paris got his first win as the head Coach of the Braves against the Maroons 18-13. Don't remember exact details but M-ville was ahead 13-12 with just seconds to go and on 4th down the Maroon QB was just running around killing the clock and got called for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty after he got rid of the ball giving the Braves the ball with seconds to go. The Braves threw a touchdown pass and won the game. Coach Paris had been coaching several years but this was his first win against Madisonville. UC played in the Big 8 then and was the only 3a school among the other 4a members-----

I broadcast that game. Unforgettable.

-----Do you remember the details of what happened? I know that the Union fans thought the game was over.
Not much action on this site anymore. I thought some Union and Maroon fans would at least respond to this post about the game-----

Here is the note (on my website) that is on the Union County page of the Braves' all-time series vs. Madisonville.

"On what would have been the last play of the game, the Madisonville quarterback ran around the field killing the clock with the Maroons leading 13-12. While he ran, he taunted a defender...then tossed the ball in the defender’s facemask as time expired on the 4th down play. An official later told me it should have been ruled an incomplete pass...and the game over...because it was a “forward” throw. But the game officials, after huddling for several minutes, called an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, marked it half-the-distance to the goal, and gave Union County an untimed down. The Braves promptly threw a 5-yard touchdown pass and were awarded the victory 18-13."

The Braves went on to an 8-3 season, the last time Charlie Bob had a winning record in his 14-year head-coaching career at his alma mater.

www.KentuckySportsHistory.com

(If this webpage will not open, just copy and paste it in your browser.)

Last edited:
You called it, WhiteEagle. Looks like we will need to wait a couple more weeks to find out what either team is really like.

-----Braves won toss and took the ball and marched down the field to the 15 and then a pass was tipped for an interception, M-ville took the ball 90 yards or so on 8 plays, scored and it was downhill rest of the night for UC. It was ugly. I could go on and on how ugly but serves no purpose. Anyone who saw game knows the problems that have to be corrected before district play begins and for that matter before next week against Hart County who is 4-0 and only allowed 7 points in those games. Hart primarily a running team but would assume might be passing much more next week.
Take nothing away from M-ville. They are a much better team than their 0-3 start and with a win at Hopkinsville could win their district and even with a loss should finish 2nd. They are big and strong, can control both sides of the ball, can run or pass with ease. At least that's what they did with Union. It probably want be as easy against PT and Hopkinsville but I look for them to improve as the season moves on and their future is bright. The Braves have a lot to work on and I am sure Coach Boston has a plan. He is a young, competitive, and passionate Coach whose vision is to the best he can be and will expect that from his players or they will not be playing.Time will tell-----

ADVERTISEMENT