ADVERTISEMENT

Is it right for Trinity to randomly drug test its students?

Commonwealthsports

KP All-Pro
Dec 11, 2012
As some of you may know Trinity will begin randomly drug testing its students for the 2015-16 school year. There have been many takes on both sides of the argument. I received these screen shots of Facebook posts in my email over the weekend and thought I should share them on the message boards. The post come from the Facebook of a well-respected criminal defense attorney who is a Louisville native and Trinity alumnus Keith Kamenish. Mr. Kamenish opposes the random testing and has, over the weeks since it was announced, built a good case on why the testing isn't necessary at Trinity.

No, Public Schools may require student athletes to return a Random Drug Test Card signed by their parent/legal guardian...that card has a box you can check to consent to becoming part of the pool for random testing or a refusal to allow for testing. Regardless of which box is checked, as long as the card is returned, signed, the student may participate. There is no penalty for refusing random drug testing.

In the case of Trinity, as someone earlier said, Trinity is a private school. When you enroll in a school like Trinity or X, you give up certain freedoms that come with a public school. Just as Trinity can require ALL students to take parochial classes, so too, may they drug test their kids.

Finally, what parent seriously is against drug testing their children?

You cleared it up. Thanks. I just knew that drug testing went on in public schools.

Agreed on what parent wouldn't want this done.

I attended a public school and my senior year they began random drug testing. In order to drive to school or participate in extra-curricular activities you had to pass a drug test up front and be subjected to random drug tests throughout the school year. Extra-curricular activities are not a right they are a privilege. I was ok with it because they didn't just subject athletes to the tests it was band members, club members, etc.

If you do nt like the way things are going then you can always go somewhere else? Not to much to ask a kid to stay off drugs and alcohol???? Party down brothers!

As long ad they give everyone at least one free pass, I'm okay with it. I worked at a jail way back in the last century. I had to strip search male prisoners every now and then. I told them, if they gave me any drugs they had on them, I would flush them down the toilet right now and save them a felony charge. About 75 percent of them gave it up. Oh the poor dumb 25 percent. I gave them a chance.

Public schools often randomly test if a student is involved in extra-curricular activities. So yes, public schools can and do test.

As far as "should trinity be testing". it's up to them. It's a private school. Simple as that.

Shelby Co and Collins will be conducting random drug test I think in the 2015-2016 School Year.
Based on the facts that I know, T does need to conduct those test as probably most of our schools today.
It is a bad thing, just hope it keeps the kids from trying it.

ADVERTISEMENT